[net.audio] Speakers

johns@utcsrgv.UUCP (David Johns) (07/01/83)

I recently bought a pair of Radian Research speakers and am
very pleased with their sound.  The speakers cost me about
700 dollars (Can.) and I thought they had a very british
sound even though they are supposedly made in the New York
area.  I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this brand
of speaker or are they just some house brand?

dab@iedl02.UUCP (07/05/83)

Now I've heard everything. Forgive me if you have already
been flooded with mail or replies, but what, pray tell,
does a "british" speaker sound like?!?
Perhaps you mean brightish? Maybe so.... Oh well.

gs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Gordon Strong) (07/06/83)

I too have bought Radian Research speakers (made by Becker Electronics).
I am very pleased with their sound.  I listen to a wide variety of
musical styles and they work well on all of them.  The particular
speakers I have (I have forgotten the number) have a 12" woofer,
5" midrange, a dome tweeter and a port with treble/midrange level
controls.  I think they can handle ~80 watts/channel.  I am most
impressed with their efficiency and the clarity of reproduction.
I have hooked up other speakers (from friends) and switched back and
forth between the different sets and mine always seem to sound
better/louder at the same amp volume setting.  I think I paid $380.
for the pair (it was an end-of-year sale amd I knew the salesman..
they listed at 800, and sold normally for 500).  They were well
worth the money.

Gordon Strong

genrad!mit-eddie!gs
gs%mit-eecs@mit-mc

gs@mit-eddie.UUCP (07/06/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site wjh12.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10.1 6/24/83; site mit-eddie.UUCP
Path:wjh12!genrad!mit-eddie!gs
Date:Wed, 6-Jul-83 12:40:09 EDT
Organization:MIT, Cambridge, MA

[...]

tom@rlgvax.UUCP (07/07/83)

I am a bit confused, when in an A/B speaker test set up at home, that
the person said his own speakers sounded "louder/better".  It's
a fairly well known fact that any A/B test made at different sound
levels is UNFAIR.  That is because of the fact that louder
always sounds better (unless the two speakers are worlds apart in
performance).  It is a common ploy by unreputable dealers to offer
an A/B test with the speaker they are trying to push played a little
louder -- unfortunately it works, and not with just novices.

So, when demo-ing speakers, always make sure that the loudness is matched
up as close as possible.

- Tom Beres
{seismo, allegra, mcnc}!rlgvax!tom

gs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Gordon Strong) (07/08/83)

No, you don't understand about the A/B comparison test.
I did this at home, with my system, and the volume set
at the same level.  The speaker switching was done with
speaker selection knob.  There is no way that I'd let
some rip-off store try some cheap trick.  I'll never
take speakers home unless I know I can bring them back
for a full refund.  I could care less how they sound in the
store...If they don't sound good in my room, then I don't
want them (yes, yes, I know about EQ and such).  If you
can't get the refund deal from your store, I'd think
twice about buying anything from them.

Gordon Strong
genrad!mit-eddie!gs
gs%mit-eecs@mit-mc

dsn@umcp-cs.UUCP (07/11/83)

	From: gs@mit-eddie.UUCP

	No, you don't understand about the A/B comparison test.
	I did this at home, with my system, and the volume set
	at the same level.  The speaker switching was done with
	speaker selection knob.

If that's the case, then your A/B comparison test was almost certainly
misleading.  No two types of speakers have exactly the same efficiency;
the same level of input to two different types of speakers will result
in differing levels of output.  Small differences in output level--too
small to be detected as one speaker sounding LOUDER than another--are
usually perceived as differences in quality instead.

The only way to do an A/B comparison correctly is with a meter to
measure the volume produced as OUTPUT from the speaker.  When you
switch from one speaker to the other, adjust your volume control so that
the output level from the second speaker is the same as from the first
one.
--
Dana S. Nau

seifert@ihuxl.UUCP (07/13/83)

"British" speakers intentionally "beam" the high  frequencies  at
you,  as opposed the the "American" school of thought which tries
for as wide a pattern of dispersion as possible  (remember  omni-
directional speakers?).

The idea is to avoid early reflections which mess up the sound.

My view is that low frequencies are going to be  omni-directional
(or  close  to  it)  no  matter  what  you do, so build the high-
frequency drivers to match.     Also, I  don't  like  having  the
sound  change drastically when I walk around the room. Which also
explains why I haven't gotten Carver's sonic-holography toy.

There is the alternate method of eliminating  early  reflections:
cover  the  'speaker'  half  of  the  room  with  sound absorbing
material, carpet, ceiling tile, rugs on the walls, etc. Put sound
reflecting  material  on  the  other  end  for  balance.  Put the
listening chair/sofa/whatever in  the  middle.  I  haven't  tried
this,  but  would  like to some day. Has anyone experimented with
this?  It was in "Absolute sound" or "Sensible sound" a couple of
years ago.

An interesting side-effect of building speakers with  'wide-angle
tweeters'  is  that,  in  the  old  days,  when  tweeters  beamed
horribly, they were also much more efficient than the woofer, and
would  have  a  resistor in series to decrease the power to them.
Now they are building 180-degree tweeters and gee, it takes  more
power  to  cover more area!  To get enough power into the tweeter
of my AR-11s, they made the impedance at 10 kHz about  1.5  Ohms,
the  max impedance is about 16 Ohms somewhere in the bass region.
The speakers are rated at 4 Ohms, but your amp  better  not  mind
driving  under  2  Ohms!  And  whatever  you  do,  don't parallel
anything with them!  (assuming solid state, tranformerless output
power amps.)

                        Dave Seifert
                        ihnp4!ihuxl!seifert

newman@utcsrgv.UUCP (Ken Newman) (07/15/83)

     "British" speakers intentionally "beam" the high  frequencies  at
     you,  as opposed the the "American" school of thought which tries
     for as wide a pattern of dispersion as possible  (remember  omni-
     directional speakers?).

     Opinion: I can't stand Advent speakers. They have a boomy bass
     and generally sound like garbage.

     				Dave Seifert
     				ihnp4!ihuxl!seifert

I can't let this go by without comment. Both of the above were from
separate articles by the author indicated and both are utter rubbish.
I just didn't want someone in the market for speakers to be misled by
such unjustified statements.

decvax!utzoo!utcsrgv!newman
Ken Newman

seifert@ihuxl.UUCP (07/18/83)

Utter rubbish?  Golly gee, I'm sorry we don't agree on this matter,
but then, that's what keeps life from being boring, isn't it?

I submitted a personal, subjective opinion to the net as part of
a larger article, prefaced it with the word *opinion:* to make it
clear that it was *only* an opinion, not claimed to be fact. For
this sin I am blasted on an international network?

Is there no newsgroup safe from the cancer of intolerance?

				Dave Seifert
				ihnp4!ihuxl!seifert

ruly@umcp-cs.UUCP (08/24/83)

I am looking for speakers (up to $1000/pr.) and have listened to
Mariah Acoustics LS2, Vandersteen 2c, Fuselier Model 3, Daybreak and
Spendor BC1 speakers.  Recently, I read about Black Acoustics speakers
(listprice $850/pr.) and would like to ask your opinion about these
speakers (esp. the Blackshadow) since there is no Black Acoustics dealer
in my resident area (Washington DC).

					Thank you.
					Ruly  Arifin
					Computer Science Department,
					U of Md at College Park.

wjm@lcuxc.UUCP (B. Mitchell) (02/14/85)

As far as speakers in the $1000 to $2000 price range go, I think the JSE-1s
compare favorably to ANYTHING selling for under $3K (except that their big
brothers, the JSE-2s have a bit more bass).  The imaging on the 1s must
be heard to be believed - everyone who has heard my pair is quite impressed.
They also have execellent frequency response.  All this for $920 a pair.
As I've mentioned before, The $ensible Sound has a glowing review of them,
which they now consider to be  their "reference" speaker - they used to
like Vandersteen 2Cs before the JSEs came out.
Some observations based on last year's speaker search that lead to my
purchase of the JSEs.  Keep in mind that these are strictly my personal
opinions, not those of my employer or anyone else, and you should by all
means listen to the speakers with the kind of music you like - bring
records with you.  If the dealer allows you a trial in your listening room
at home, by all means take it - you want to minimize the number of variables
that affect a speaker's performance.
Personally, the 'steen's have too much "presence" in the 2-5 KHz range
(like many speakers made on the West Coast, they tend to emphasize that
frequency band to bring female vocalists out in front of a rock group)
for my tastes.
I also did not care for the B&W 802 or KEF 105.xs - they did not have the well defined
imaging of the JSEs
The problem with Quad ESL-63s is a) they cost $3K a pair (unless you can
get a good buy on a used pair), b) they can be a problem to drive with
some amps - true of electrostatics in general, and c) they are not really
full range speakers - you need a sub-woofer with them.  However, they have
superb imaging, definition, and frequency response.
As for the Polk SDA concept - I'm not convinced that it buys anything, and
the Carver Sonic Hologram box has the advantage that it can be switched out
if you don't feel it adds anything to a particular piece of music.
Regards,
Bill Mitchell (ihnp4!lcuxc!wjm)

emuroga@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/04/85)

     Anybody have any experiences with any of these speakers:

 Vandersteen 2C
 Celestion SL6
 Mirage 750

   I listen mostly to pop and rock but some classical and jazz. I am really
interested in imaging but without sacrificing dynamics.

E. Muroga