[net.audio] how to take apart a jewel box without damaging it

reid@Glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (11/03/85)

I bought 8 new jewel boxes today; 4 to replace broken originals, 2 spares,
and 2 to dissect for practice. I thought I'd post the results of my surgery
so nobody else will have to buy practice boxes (they were $0.99 each at
Tower Records).

The black plastic with the centerhole fingers needs to be pried loose from
the bottom clear plastic cover in order to the the J-card out. There are
several places that look like they are the right place to pry, but in fact
they aren't.

To get it open with minimum damage, use a putty knife or other piece of
flexible spring steel. If you use a Swiss Army knife or a screwdriver you
will scratch the jewel box or even break it.

Orient the jewel box so that it is flat on the table, with the hinges to
your left, so that it will open like a book. Open it. Remove the CD.

Over on the right edge are two half-moon cutouts in the black plastic, each
about 2cm from the top right or top left corners, and each about 3mm in
diameter. Use these as entryways to get your putty knife between the black
plastic and the clear plastic. Put the knife in at one of the holes, pry up
a little bit, then slide the putty knife sideways over to the other
half-moon hole. The black plastic should pop out in your hand.

After replacing the paper, the black plastic just snaps back in.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (11/04/85)

> Over on the right edge are two half-moon cutouts in the black plastic, each
> about 2cm from the top right or top left corners, and each about 3mm in
> diameter. Use these as entryways to get your putty knife between the black
> plastic and the clear plastic. Put the knife in at one of the holes, pry up
> a little bit, then slide the putty knife sideways over to the other
> half-moon hole. The black plastic should pop out in your hand.

With much less trouble, you can just stick your fingernails under the
black pastic on the hinged edge and pull up.

			-Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) (11/04/85)

In article <485@Glacier.ARPA> reid@Glacier.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:

>Over on the right edge are two half-moon cutouts in the black plastic, each
>about 2cm from the top right or top left corners, and each about 3mm in
>diameter. Use these as entryways to get your putty knife between the black
>plastic and the clear plastic. Put the knife in at one of the holes, pry up
>a little bit, then slide the putty knife sideways over to the other
>half-moon hole. The black plastic should pop out in your hand.

I find a pointed probe, such as the ones that come with continuity
testers (buzz boxes) are QUITE effective and less likely to snap the box.
This method is also effective for replacing the 6-finger hub black
inserts with 12-finger hub inserts. I found that the 6-finger hub
on my CATS album wouldn't hold on to the disk! The only difference in
the double sections are the double middle hinge instead of the tray.
By canabalizing parts from replacement cases the hub sections
and top covers can be replaced on double sets ( I broke the lid
on my Star Wars double set. A testimony to CD's. Although the
drop to the asphalt road cracked the case and sprung the CD on to the
road, the minute scratches were few and inaudible. Imagine the effect on
an LP!)