[net.audio] Tuner Leakage Problem...

mancello@acf4.UUCP (Homeboy#1) (10/31/85)

I have a Carver 900 Receiver, and when I have the Tuner engaged with the
Volume knob turned all the way down, I can still hear output from the Tuner
thru my speakers.  The sound is pretty low, but disturbing.  This only poses
a problem when I have the Monitor switch set to 1 and am listening to a tape
being played while the Tuner button is engaged.  I can engage another function
button (Phono or Aux) to remedy the problem, but is there an easy solution
to my problem?  Also, what causes this leakage in the first place?

						-Dominic Mancello
						 (cmcl2!acf4!mancello)

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (11/01/85)

In article <4960004@acf4.UUCP> mancello@acf4.UUCP (Homeboy#1) writes:
>I have a Carver 900 Receiver, and when I have the Tuner engaged with the
>Volume knob turned all the way down, I can still hear output from the Tuner
>thru my speakers.  The sound is pretty low, but disturbing.  This only poses
>a problem when I have the Monitor switch set to 1 and am listening to a tape
>being played while the Tuner button is engaged.  I can engage another function
>button (Phono or Aux) to remedy the problem, but is there an easy solution
>to my problem?  Also, what causes this leakage in the first place?

it sounds like you have crosstalk problems.  the only real way around this
involves improved shielding and re-routing of signal carrying leads.
any amplifier will have a certain amount of crosstalk, not matter how
good it is.  whether it is objectionable or not is another question.
since you have an easy circumvention why not use it.

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

New net address --

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

zzz@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mike Konopik) (11/01/85)

I've noticed this phenomenon with many of the receivers I've listened
to for any period of time (especially when using headphones).  Sometimes
I even get small leakage when the tuner isn't engaged at all.  Odd.

I've been wondering about something related to playing records that bugs
the hell outta me - on some records there is a very faint "ghost" of sorts
that comes about a second or so before the real signal (eg. when listening
during the space between songs, the beginning of the ensuing song can be
heard faintly to precede the actual music by about a second).  Some of the
records I have (like OMR's and other half-speed masters) are pleasingly
free of this disturbance.

The question in my mind is this:  are there any turntables around that
can handle this sort of quirk?  Also, how on earth do the recording
companies get away with this sort of bad-quality production?  Ack.
--

				-Mike

genrad!mit-eddie!zzz  (UUCP)    ZZZ%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC  (ARPA)

shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Electronics Shop) (11/02/85)

> I've been wondering about something related to playing records that bugs
> the hell outta me - on some records there is a very faint "ghost" of sorts
> that comes about a second or so before the real signal (eg. when listening
> during the space between songs, the beginning of the ensuing song can be
> heard faintly to precede the actual music by about a second).  Some of the
> records I have (like OMR's and other half-speed masters) are pleasingly
> free of this disturbance.
>
> The question in my mind is this:  are there any turntables around that
> can handle this sort of quirk?  Also, how on earth do the recording
> companies get away with this sort of bad-quality production?  Ack.
> --
>
> 				-Mike

This is called 'print-through'. It is caused by adjacent layers of the
master tape interacting magnetically. I have found it most in re-issues of
older recordings. The record companies get away with it because the only
copy they may have has been affected, and they want to get that recording
out on the market bad enough not to recut the master tape. To prevent this
in your own reel tape recordings (and to a limited extent, cassette) store
a tape 'tail end out' or not rewound... rewind before listening. The
packing of the tape on the reel is more even and less likely to rub while
relieving stresses.

Thomas Krueger
--
Engineering Electronics Shop
U of W - Milwaukee

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (11/03/85)

> I've been wondering about something related to playing records that bugs
> the hell outta me - on some records there is a very faint "ghost" of sorts
> that comes about a second or so before the real signal (eg. when listening
> during the space between songs, the beginning of the ensuing song can be
> heard faintly to precede the actual music by about a second).  Some of the
> records I have (like OMR's and other half-speed masters) are pleasingly
> free of this disturbance.

This phenomenon occurs on records as well as tapes -- it's called
"pre-echo" in those circumstances.  You can circumvent it by
buying compact discs instead of LPs.  :-)

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (11/03/85)

>> I've been wondering about something related to playing records that bugs
>> the hell outta me - on some records there is a very faint "ghost" of sorts
>> that comes about a second or so before the real signal (eg. when listening
>> during the space between songs, the beginning of the ensuing song can be
>> heard faintly to precede the actual music by about a second).  Some of the
>> records I have (like OMR's and other half-speed masters) are pleasingly
>> free of this disturbance.
>>
>> The question in my mind is this:  are there any turntables around that
>> can handle this sort of quirk?  Also, how on earth do the recording
>> companies get away with this sort of bad-quality production?  Ack.
>
>This is called 'print-through'. It is caused by adjacent layers of the
>master tape interacting magnetically.

Arghhh!! Not again.  This discussion seems to come up every six months
like clockwork.  Maybe we can get Spaf to add it to the list of
frequently asked questions in net.announce.newusers.

One more time...  The ghost you hear is not caused by tape print
through.  It is caused by a deformation of the vinyl.  Why?
1. You can find the problem in many all-digital and brand new
   recordings.
2. The problem is not observed on Compact Disc versions of these LPs.
3. The ghost appears exactly one turntable revolution before the music
   begins.

If you want more reading on the subject, perhaps you could find
someone who archives net.audio to mail you the 2 zillion previous
articles on this topic.  1/2 :-).

Ben Broder

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (11/04/85)

In article <276@mit-eddie.UUCP> zzz@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mike Konopik) writes:
>I've been wondering about something related to playing records that bugs
>the hell outta me - on some records there is a very faint "ghost" of sorts
>that comes about a second or so before the real signal (eg. when listening
>during the space between songs, the beginning of the ensuing song can be
>heard faintly to precede the actual music by about a second).  Some of the
>records I have (like OMR's and other half-speed masters) are pleasingly
>free of this disturbance.

this is often called pre-echo and is a property of the individual
record you play.  the grooves are not really independent of each
other and during cutting, one groove can slightly deform a previously
cut groove enough to produce the pre-echo.  putting grooves too
close together or using inferior vinyl can cause this, though groove
spacing is the primary reason.  i'm sure that there will be lots of
articles that will point out this to you.

c20@nmtvax.UUCP (11/05/85)

> things about tuner leakage here ...
>
> I've been wondering about something related to playing records that bugs
> the hell outta me - on some records there is a very faint "ghost" of sorts
> that comes about a second or so before the real signal (eg. when listening
> during the space between songs, the beginning of the ensuing song can be
> heard faintly to precede the actual music by about a second).  Some of the
> records I have (like OMR's and other half-speed masters) are pleasingly
> free of this disturbance.
>
> The question in my mind is this:  are there any turntables around that
> can handle this sort of quirk?  Also, how on earth do the recording
> companies get away with this sort of bad-quality production?  Ack.
> --
>
> 				-Mike
>
> genrad!mit-eddie!zzz  (UUCP)    ZZZ%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC  (ARPA)

This "ghosting" effect is caused by making a record with the grooves too
close together for the recording level.  When the record is pressed, the
vinyl between the grooves is stressed slightly (note:  the vinyl is slightly
warm at this point).  After the die is removed from the record, the record
begins cooling.  However, before it cools enough, the stressed plastic
*between* the grooves begins relaxing, and each groove takes on a little
of the waveform of the NEXT groove.  If you check, you should find that
the ghost sound starts exactly one revolution (slightly less than two
seconds at 33.333 rpm) before the equivalent real sound begins.

It's bad enough to hear the ghosting effect before the song starts, but
it's worse when you realize that if this happens on the first groove, it's
probably happening on all the other grooves too.  So every part of the
music you hear has this not-quite-hearable "fuzz" on top of it, which is
the very-quietly-played sound of both of the adjacent grooves.

A record company can prevent this either by increasing the inter-groove
spacing, or by making quieter records (i.e., records with smaller wiggles
in the grooves)

greg
--

Greg Titus                  ..!ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!c20     (uucp)
NM Tech Computer Center     ..!cmcl2!lanl!nmtvax!c20        (uucp)