[net.audio] GHOSTS

mccamy@lymph.DEC (11/04/85)

From: "...decvax!decwrl!rhea!Squirt!McCamy"
Merrimack, New Hampshire

> I've been wondering about something related to playing records that bugs
> the hell outta me - on some records there is a very faint "ghost" of sorts
> that comes about a second or so before the real signal (eg. when listening
> during the space between songs, the beginning of the ensuing song can be
> heard faintly to precede the actual music by about a second).  Some of the
> records I have (like OMR's and other half-speed masters) are pleasingly
> free of this disturbance.

The "ghost" signal you hear is probably due to sound print-through on the
master tape used to cut the record.  It is not uncommon for a magnetic
recording to "print" it's image onto another layer of tape.

Smart engineers can avoid this by storing the tail end of the tape on the
outside of the reel, and the beginning of the tape at the hub of the reel.
If print-through occurs, it usually occurs AFTER the original sound begins
and is therefore masked.

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (11/06/85)

In article <1228@decwrl.UUCP> mccamy@lymph.DEC writes:
>The "ghost" signal you hear is probably due to sound print-through on the
>master tape used to cut the record.  It is not uncommon for a magnetic
>recording to "print" it's image onto another layer of tape.

record grooves too close together can cause this too.

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

New net address --

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouija boards.