[net.audio] Cassette Tapes Advice and Lifetime Guarantees

rjd@faron.UUCP (Robert DeBenedictis) (11/04/85)

A small note about tape brands.
They have different guarantees.
Most will replace a tape if it EVER fails.
However, TDK requires you to sumbit the
original sales receipt with the faulty tape,
Maxell only requires the faulty tape.

Who saves receipts for blank tapes?

Robert DeBenedictis

p.s. Anyone know what the other brands require?

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (11/07/85)

In article <377@faron.UUCP> rjd@faron.UUCP (Robert DeBenedictis) writes:
>A small note about tape brands.
>They have different guarantees.
>Most will replace a tape if it EVER fails.
>However, TDK requires you to sumbit the
>original sales receipt with the faulty tape,
>Maxell only requires the faulty tape.

i have never had problems replacing TDK tapes, even if it was my fault
that they got munched.  no receipt was required, but i must admit that
the people that i bought it from knew me.

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

New net address --

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/08/85)

> Maxell only requires the faulty tape.
>
> Who saves receipts for blank tapes?
> p.s. Anyone know what the other brands require?

Radio Shack sent me a new tape with just a tape (It wasn't my tape,
it was one I found self destructed inside our $700 cassette deck at
WJHU) with just a flaming letter and the tape.

Has anyone actually tested TDK?  Seems to me they'd be likely to
replace the tape even without the receipt.

-Ron

nz@wucs.UUCP (Neal Ziring) (11/09/85)

In article <377@faron.UUCP> rjd@faron.UUCP (Robert DeBenedictis) writes:
>A small note about tape brands.
>They have different guarantees.
>p.s. Anyone know what the other brands require?

Maxell: Lifetime replacement (mail the bad tape to New Jersey)
Fuji: Lifetime replacement (I don't know if sales rcpt is required)
Memorex: Lifetime replacement (mail the bad tape to California)
Sony: Lifetime replacement (mail the bad tape to New Jersey)
BASF: Lifetime replacement
TDK: Lifetime replacement (mail the bad tape to New York, no rcpt required)

That's all the tapes I have in my desk.

Just an interesting anecdote to fill out an otherwise dry article:
When I went to High School, I lived in the town where TDK tapes were
manufactured.  My friend and I used to go up to the factory about once
a month and look around.  They would often leave testing rejects on a
corner of the loading dock, and we could therefore pick up factory
seconds of TDK SAs and TDK Beta Video tapes for free.
I still have several of the tapes, and they still work fine (made in
USA!  even the factory seconds still work after 8 years).  If any
adventuresome netters want to try this, the factory is just east of
the Meadowbrook Parkway in Garden City, New York, on a street called
Eastgate Blvd.
--
========
...nz (ECL - we're here to provide superior computing)

    "Now we'll see some proper action..."

	old style:	... ihnp4!wucs!nz
	new style:	nz@wucs.UUCP