[net.audio] Linn/Naim seminar

dgt@myrias.UUCP (David Tang) (10/30/85)

	On Oct. 28 I attended a Linn/Naim seminar held at a local dealer
here in Edmonton, and conducted by a Canadian representative of Linn/Naim.
I would like to repeat some of the points that were brought up, and perhaps
solicit an opinion from some of you net.audio subscribers.

	Basically what was said can be summed up by the following statement:
Vinyl records (as opposed to tape/cd) provide the best possible reproduction
of music.  It then follows that the backbone of a good system lies in the
record player.

	Elaborating, any audio system should obey the following hierarchy:

a) Turntable - the basic chassis/motor/platter assembly
b) Arm       - next in importance
c) Cartridge - in the record playing system this is the least important
d) Amplifier - preamp/amp combination of course
e) Speakers  - least important overall

Thus when purchasing an audio system, the bulk of one's budget should go
towards the "record player".  (An example would be say in a budget of
$2000, $1600 should be spent on the table/arm/cartridge and the rest on
amplifier/speakers.)  This is in sharp contrast to recommendations in the
past that half of the budget be spent on speakers.

	Comparisons were performed in a 'demo' fashion, as opposed to
double-blind testing.  It is left up to the reader to draw Hir own
conclusions as to the validity of results derived from this technique.

	In more or less chronological order, here is what transpired:

1) The effect of a change in tracking force on the music.  The claim
   is - increased tracking force is better.

2) Linn Sondek/Basik arm/cheap cartridge vs. Linn Sondek/Ittok arm/cheap
cartridge vs. Linn Sondek/Ittok arm/better cartridge.  The claim -
increasing levels of performance.  Also the first combination is con-
sidered a better starting point than say a Rega turntable/Audio Technica
AT37E cartridge.  The recommended order in upgrading is turntable, arm,
then cartridge.

3) The superiority of Linn's new preamp/amp combination was demonstrated.
Each channel had its own power supply, and the phono section could also
be powered separately.

4) The rep next attempted to demonstrate the affect of having a third
undriven speaker in the room.  Supposedly, the speaker cone(s) would
respond to movement of air by the driven speakers and distort the music
audibly.

	What followed next was a query of each person attending as to
what they had for a system, and recommendation as to upgrades.

	Please note that all the demonstrations were done using Linn/Naim
equipment.  What we were told to listen for was not increases in bass
and/or treble response, or imaging, or depth of soundstage, etc., but
changes in the flow of the music, whether the singer appeared to begin
singing when you expected Hir to, whether the background violins could
be heard while listening to the horns.  In each case, we were told that
each change was audible.

	I must admit to not being able to hear any of the effects.  The
suggestion that a difference was audible with each change was strong
enough that I actually thought I did several times, but I am not certain
of that.  I will not discredit any of the points raised, but neither will
I support them.  I merely report them to you and ask you to formulate
your own opinions.

shauns@vice.UUCP (Shaun Simpkins) (10/31/85)

> 	On Oct. 28 I attended a Linn/Naim seminar held at a local dealer
> here in Edmonton, and conducted by a Canadian representative of Linn/Naim.
> I would like to repeat some of the points that were brought up, and perhaps
> solicit an opinion from some of you net.audio subscribers.
>

> 	Basically what was said can be summed up by the following statement:
> Vinyl records (as opposed to tape/cd) provide the best possible reproduction
> of music.  It then follows that the backbone of a good system lies in the
> record player.
>

> 	Elaborating, any audio system should obey the following hierarchy:
>
> a) Turntable - the basic chassis/motor/platter assembly
> b) Arm       - next in importance
> c) Cartridge - in the record playing system this is the least important
> d) Amplifier - preamp/amp combination of course
> e) Speakers  - least important overall

Don't believe anything you hear from Linn/Sondek.  Actually, don't believe
anything they say you can hear.  I believe that these folks were responsible
for the claim that digital discs were so bad that you couldn't even hear the
rythmn, much less music.  Linn has been doing poorer over the past few years.
The dealers in my area that used to stock Linn have switched to other, less
expensive, equal quality and more reliable (!) turntable brands.  Apparently
good old Ivor can't handle the digital age.  Quite frankly, I'd spend more
money on the cartridge than the table and definitely not over $600 for the
pair, and a TON of money on the speakers, if they were worth it.

If I sound to be rabidly anti-Linn, I am.  I think they make a good product
but their approach is distinctly audiophobe and opprtunistic.  What you just
attended bears all the earmarks of a religious cult's sales pitch, what with
all the normal words with special meanings and the "well-meaning" expert's
guiding words as to what you should be listening for.

I'd think that seminars like this were funny, but the sad thing is that many
people are taken in by this unadulterated horsepuckey.

The wandering squash,
--
				Shaun Simpkins

uucp:	{ucbvax,decvax,chico,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!teklabs!tekcad!vice!shauns
CSnet:	shauns@tek
ARPAnet:shauns.tek@rand-relay

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (11/02/85)

In article <187@myrias.UUCP> dgt@myrias.UUCP (David Tang) writes:
>	Basically what was said can be summed up by the following statement:
>Vinyl records (as opposed to tape/cd) provide the best possible reproduction
>of music.  It then follows that the backbone of a good system lies in the
>record player.

unsurprising given that Linn makes turntablesand such.  of course what
they say doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless all they played were
direct to disk records.  even so, there are so many flaws in analog
reproduction that it is amazing that it works as well as it does.

>	Elaborating, any audio system should obey the following hierarchy:
>
>a) Turntable - the basic chassis/motor/platter assembly
>b) Arm       - next in importance
>c) Cartridge - in the record playing system this is the least important
>d) Amplifier - preamp/amp combination of course
>e) Speakers  - least important overall

this is the MEANING OF AUDIO according to Linn.  they have to justify why
anyone would spend $1500 CAN for a Linn, after all.

>Thus when purchasing an audio system, the bulk of one's budget should go
>towards the "record player".  (An example would be say in a budget of
>$2000, $1600 should be spent on the table/arm/cartridge and the rest on
>amplifier/speakers.)  This is in sharp contrast to recommendations in the
>past that half of the budget be spent on speakers.

as in any system of any kind, the performance is determined by the
weakest link.  what kind of speakers and amplifier would you expect to
spend the remaining $400 on?  there is a very good reason for the many
recommendations on how to allocate your budget, it gets you the best
sounding system for a certain amount of money.  of course, if price is
no object, then no-one can make a reasonable recommendation on how to
apportion your money.

>	Comparisons were performed in a 'demo' fashion, as opposed to
>double-blind testing.  It is left up to the reader to draw Hir own
>conclusions as to the validity of results derived from this technique.

and leave the door open to be misdirected by purely psychological
effects.  you may have been aware of the possibility and negated the
possibilities, but what about the people that weren't?  even if 1 in
100 people who attend these buys a Linn, the marketing effort would
have been tremendously successful.  i have had a dealer try to sell me
a Linn for over a year.  until he can prove to me conclusively that the
Linn is better than my Technics (yucko Jap direct-drive table), i can't
see spending the money.  i'd rather get a better cartridge, or a very
nice CD player, or a reel-to-reel, or ...; you get the point.

>	In more or less chronological order, here is what transpired:
>
>1) The effect of a change in tracking force on the music.  The claim
>   is - increased tracking force is better.

for what?  not for record wear (though of course, too little is bad
too).  any cartridge will track better at the higher end of the
recommended tracking forces, without exception.  tracking better
automatically reduces various kinds of distortion.  whether the record
wear is acceptable is another question.

>2) Linn Sondek/Basik arm/cheap cartridge vs. Linn Sondek/Ittok arm/cheap
>cartridge vs. Linn Sondek/Ittok arm/better cartridge.  The claim -
>increasing levels of performance.  Also the first combination is con-
>sidered a better starting point than say a Rega turntable/Audio Technica
>AT37E cartridge.  The recommended order in upgrading is turntable, arm,
>then cartridge.

given the number of cartridges i have owned, i find this in direct
opposition to both my experiences and also the experiences of friends
into audio.  it also in counterintuitive, but that hasn't stopped a
lot of audio equipment from being sold.

>3) The superiority of Linn's new preamp/amp combination was demonstrated.
>Each channel had its own power supply, and the phono section could also
>be powered separately.

how was it supposed to be superior?  i have listened to Naim equipment
before and i always thought it was overpriced and not especially
different from anything else selling at that price point.  snobbery
of high end audio is all it really aims at (my opinion).

>4) The rep next attempted to demonstrate the affect of having a third
>undriven speaker in the room.  Supposedly, the speaker cone(s) would
>respond to movement of air by the driven speakers and distort the music
>audibly.

no more so that the presence of people in the room, or the flexing of
the walls of the room.

>	What followed next was a query of each person attending as to
>what they had for a system, and recommendation as to upgrades.

based upon what criteria?  i could tell you that you need a
Monstersonic SuperFantasticAmp all day, but would you believe me if i
also told you that i make and market the things myself?  the person
telling you all these is less than objective.

>	Please note that all the demonstrations were done using Linn/Naim
>equipment.  What we were told to listen for was not increases in bass
>and/or treble response, or imaging, or depth of soundstage, etc., but
>changes in the flow of the music, whether the singer appeared to begin
>singing when you expected Hir to, whether the background violins could
>be heard while listening to the horns.  In each case, we were told that
>each change was audible.

this is well known in psychology.  the power of suggestion is very strong.

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

New net address --

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

gt3403b@gitpyr.UUCP (Ray Chen) (11/04/85)

Sheesh, I thought I'd heard propoganda before but this is absurd.

Ok.  Let's see what the Linn people said here:

1) Vinyl records (as opposed to tape/cd) provide the best possible reproduction
   of music.  It then follows that the backbone of a good system lies in the
   record player.

2) The majority of a stereo budget should be spent on turntable/arm/cartridge.
   (The example given was spending $1600 on the combo and $400 on the speakers,
   amp and preamp.)

Demos were done (demo-style -- no double-blind or single-blind testing)
and the following were supposedly demonstrated:

1) The higher the tracking force the better.

2) The "superiority" of the Linn pre-amp (whatever the hell that means and
   superior to what we don't know).

3) The effects of an undriven speaker on sound.  Specifically, the "fact"
   that an undriven speaker cone will respond to the air movements and
   distort the sound audibly.

Boy, I have so many gripes with Linn now I don't even know where to start.
From the top, then.

Points 1 & 2 are the best examples of "proof by outrageous assertion"
that I've seen in a *long* time.

1) I don't know *anybody* who will say flat-out that analog is better than
   digital.  I know of lot of people (including myself) who will say that
   analog is better than digital AT THE MOMENT BECAUSE (and give a list
   of reasons).  However, almost all of those people will agree that given
   time, digital will win.

   This is because the digital media is capable of reproducing music
   more accurately than the analog media given the distortion that is
   introduced when an analog signal is processed/amplified/reproduced.

   The advantages of digital are inherent properties of the way digital
   signals are stored.

2) This is just plain silly.  A stereo system is as good as its
   weakest component.  A $1600 turntable setup and a $1000 amp/preamp
   combo are going to sound like crap coming out of a pair of
   $100 el-cheapo speakers.  Ditto for the $1600 table, $1000 speakers
   and the $100 receiver.  The components of a stereo system form
   a signal processing path with each component in the signal path
   adding distortion and noise.  Having n-1 perfect components does
   you very little good if the nth component is so bad that the distortion
   it generates dominates the signal coming out of the stereo.

   In general, I recommend the ratio 1:1:1.5 (table/arm/cartridge:preamp/
   amp:speakers) as a good rule-of-thumb ratio.  It should hold up pretty
   well up to the $2000 range.  After that, though, you have to really
   watch what you're getting for the dollar.  How much you put into
   a CD player or tape deck depends on your tastes.

Now, to the demos.  This is what really burns me.  Linn takes a bunch
of people into a room, tells them what they should here, makes them
listen to something, and since what they should hear is so obviously
and authoritatively true (after all the Linn rep said it was true and
he knows what he's doing, right?), a lot of people will think they
hear something no matter *what* actually went on.

I'll leave tracking force to those better qualified to deal with it.

The superiority of the Linn preamp, I won't even bother with.  Superior
to what???

The myth of the "undriven speaker" is something else though.  Sure,
an undriven speaker cone will move in reponse to the air and cause
some sort of effect.  However, did the Linn rep also tell you about
the effects of open or closed doors in the listening room?  Rugs?
Open or closed curtains behind the speakers?  Wandering cats?
The empty beer can on your table?

In other words, this is a myth that has been propogated
by Linn and some high-end snob-shops.  (It gives salesmen a great
excuse for not A/B'ing speakers as the cones in the other speakers will
distort the sound so badly that you won't be hearing what the speakers
really sound like...)

As a matter of fact, this topic was discussed at *length* (sigh) sometime
last spring(?) in net.audio.  You may want to ask if somebody archived it.
(Hey, I know sites that archive net.FLAME...)

In general, things are so fuzzy in audio, you shouldn't believe
any absolute statements, especially by a manufacturer who has vested
interest in making you believe what they want you to believe.  (Does Linn
make speakers?)

Listen to them, try and figure out if there's something they said that might
make sense, and try and test it independently by listening or measuring
if you can get the equipment.

Anyway, enough for now.

	Ray Chen
	gitpyr!chen

UUCP:  ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!chen
USnail:  Georgia Insitute of Technology, Box 33403, Atlanta GA, 30332

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (11/04/85)

> In general, things are so fuzzy in audio, you shouldn't believe
> any absolute statements, especially by a manufacturer who has vested
> interest in making you believe what they want you to believe.  (Does Linn
> make speakers?)

Yes, they do.

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (11/04/85)

[Commenting on a Linn/Naim presentation...]
> ...I would like to repeat some of the points that were brought up, and perhaps
> solicit an opinion from some of you net.audio subscribers.
Please note in what follows that I'm responding to the Linn/Naim claims, as
reported in the parent article.  If I flame, it's at Linn, not at the
person who posted the article, who was only asking us for comment.

Linn/Naim was discussed in net.audio some time back.  They were generally
not well received (putting it euphemistically).  The most noticeable
difficulties with what they say and do:
	- They are rabidly, irrationally anti-digital.
	- A large portion of their marketing approach rests on convincing
	  people that the entire audio industry has hoodwinked them--and
	  that Linn/Naim is (only slightest of hyperbole) the only pair of
	  reputable hifi equipment manufacturers in the known universe.
	- Their advice flies in the face of generally established
	  principles of music reproduction, engineering, and testing human
	  response.  If it suits them, they will make claims which are
	  demonstrably impossible.
	- Their equipment is focused on endless refinement of (mostly)
	  irrelevant parameters.

> 	Basically what was said can be summed up by the following statement:
> Vinyl records (as opposed to tape/cd) provide the best possible reproduction
> of music.  It then follows that the backbone of a good system lies in the
> record player.

...which is a notably good view for Linn, which is mostly in the business
of turntables, tonearms, and cartridges...

> 	Elaborating, any audio system should obey the following hierarchy:
>
> a) Turntable - the basic chassis/motor/platter assembly
> b) Arm       - next in importance
> c) Cartridge - in the record playing system this is the least important
> d) Amplifier - preamp/amp combination of course
> e) Speakers  - least important overall

YES!  This is definitely the order in which things should work!  Connecting
speakers directly to the cartridge produces vastly inferior sound.
Seriously, what they have supplied is the path through the system (using
some selective interpretation to decide that the turntable comes first).
That doesn't prove much, though...a sequence does not dictate a hierarchy.

> Thus when purchasing an audio system, the bulk of one's budget should go
> towards the "record player".  (An example would be say in a budget of
> $2000, $1600 should be spent on the table/arm/cartridge and the rest on
> amplifier/speakers.)  This is in sharp contrast to recommendations in the
> past that half of the budget be spent on speakers.

This is one of their major bogus arguments.  Let us say that the turntable
has the first opportunity to help create good sound or to introduce
problems (distortion...).  That doesn't mean that most of the money should
go to the turntable.  In fact, most of the money in an audio system should
go into the components which produce the best improvement in sound when you
spend more money on them!  (Did that sound like a tautology?  I hope so.)
Some things are hard to make, so you have to spend more money to get them
right.  The main reason for the recommendation to spend lots on speakers is
that speakers have a very hard job to do.  When you start from modestly-
priced components and start upgrading for better sound, improving speakers
is one of the places your dollar does the most good.  (Of course, there's
another criterion for vinyl--your turntable/arm/cartridge should be good
enough not only to produce good sound but not to damage the records.  Get
this far before ANY other upgrades!)

Back to the "hifi hierarchy" pitch--it is true that if you introduce
distortion (or noise, etc.) early in the reproduction chain, no later
component can help it (generally speaking).  This is a major argument for
"putting the money up front", as Linn presents it.  However, it is equally
true that if you introduce distortion late in the reproduction chain, no
earlier component in the chain can help it!  In building or improving a
system, you want to focus on getting the most accuracy throughout.  This
means spending the most money on improving the least accurate components.

A Linn turntable is an interesting, generally well-made piece of equipment.
(Why they are so hard to set up is another matter!)  In some measures it is
the finest.  However, it is NOT well-engineered, in the following sense:
It does not show an overall balance of goals which it should meet...some
criteria are pursued with fanaticism; others are nearly ignored.  Overall,
it does not represent a cost-effective result.  I would guess that you'd
have to have several thousand dollars in the rest of your system (excluding
media) before you could justify a Linn turntable, assuming that it's the
best you can get (which I don't think it is, even outside the esoterica).

> 	Comparisons were performed in a 'demo' fashion, as opposed to
> double-blind testing.  It is left up to the reader to draw Hir own
> conclusions as to the validity of results derived from this technique.

This is an important aspect of Linn marketing.  It is consistently used.  I
would suspect (but cannot prove) that Linn's reluctance to use double-
blind testing and their "extra-speaker-in-the-room" mythology are both
methods to help them avoid the use of the human ear's well-known ability to
note very minor differences in two sound sources when comparing them one
after another (A/B fashion).  In spite of the ear's excellent short-term
discrimination, long-term memory and comparison (long-term = anything more
than a handful of seconds) is poor.

By thwarting your ability to make actual comparisons, they allow themselves
to replace your judgment with their suggestions (if you allow it).

> 	Please note that all the demonstrations were done using Linn/Naim
> equipment.  What we were told to listen for was not increases in bass
> and/or treble response, or imaging, or depth of soundstage, etc., but
> changes in the flow of the music, whether the singer appeared to begin
> singing when you expected Hir to, whether the background violins could
> be heard while listening to the horns.  In each case, we were told that
> each change was audible.
>
> 	I must admit to not being able to hear any of the effects.

This places you in good company in net.audio--most people who have attended
Linn/Naim demonstrations with open minds and critical ears have come away
reporting that they heard nothing notable from the demos of different
equipment combinations or extra speakers.

I would be surprised if you had heard a range of different speakers without
noting any differences, however, as the smaller Linn speakers are truly
abominable.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

ssp@sun.uucp (Stephen Page) (11/04/85)

In article <187@myrias.UUCP> dgt@myrias.UUCP (David Tang) writes about
a Linn/Naim seminar:

>	Basically what was said can be summed up by the following statement:
>Vinyl records (as opposed to tape/cd) provide the best possible reproduction
>of music.  It then follows that the backbone of a good system lies in the
>record player.

That's only part of the religion.  "The music is only as good as the
original signal -- Garbage In, Garbage Out" is the justification for
spending all the money on the front end.

(Mr. Tang goes on to describe the various standard Linn/Naim demos --
the presence of an extra speaker, systems with expensive front ends vs
systems with cheap front ends, etc.)
>	I must admit to not being able to hear any of the effects.  The
>suggestion that a difference was audible with each change was strong
>enough that I actually thought I did several times, but I am not certain
>of that.  I will not discredit any of the points raised, but neither will
>I support them.  I merely report them to you and ask you to formulate
>your own opinions.

But was the Linn Sondek compared with any other turntables?

Linn make a fantastic record player that is streets ahead of 99% of
all other turntables, regardless of price.  There are a lot of very
ordinary turntables out there, and very few good ones.  This is part of
the problem of talking about Linns sensibly.  According to the Linn
litany, all the people who will flame back at this posting own
turntables stupendously worse than Linn Sondeks, so they don't know what
they're missing.

Using a great turntable will make a tremendous difference to the quality
of the music coming out of your stereo, in mysterious areas like
tunefulness, rhythmicity (sp?), detail.  If you don't have one,
what's missing can't be put back, no matter how expensive your amp and
speakers are.  This probably sounds like religion again.  So go listen!

The only way you can decide is to choose a price range and compare a
a {Linn front end, cheaper amp and speakers} with whatever else you
are tempted to buy.  I did, and was totally sold on the '50% on the
turntable' concept.  Alas, my finances couldn't stretch to a Linn
front end, so I bought the poor man's Sondek: a Rega, complete with
cheap cartridge.  Then, when it was time to upgrade my speakers, I
wanted the special sound of Magneplanars more than the improvement a
Sondek + cheap speakers would give me (I guess that excommunicates me
from the Linn faithful).  But it's still a dream for me.  The best
sounds I've ever heard have come from the {Linn Sondek/Naim/triamped Linn
Isobarik} system.

Has anyone out there heard the $1675 Linn/Naim system Linn has been
advertising?  Has anyone out there bought another system instead after
hearing it?

Keep an open mind; something, alas, Linn/Naim acolytes -- and people
who've never heard the Linn Sondek -- lack.

Stephen Page
{ihnp4,decwrl,ucbvax}!sun!spage
{My opinions, not my employer's}
"Cupid & Psyche '85" by Scritti Politti : proof that perfection is
					  possible in an imperfect world.

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/04/85)

> 2) This is just plain silly.  A stereo system is as good as its
>    weakest component.  A $1600 turntable setup and a $1000 amp/preamp
>    combo are going to sound like crap coming out of a pair of
>    $100 el-cheapo speakers.  Ditto for the $1600 table, $1000 speakers
>    and the $100 receiver.  The components of a stereo system form
>    a signal processing path with each component in the signal path
>    adding distortion and noise.  Having n-1 perfect components does
>    you very little good if the nth component is so bad that the distortion
>    it generates dominates the signal coming out of the stereo.

Actually, anything that introduces a mechanical component into the audio
chain and therefore involves craftsmanship rather than mere design to
produce good results is going to be inordinately more expensive.  This is
why speakers and the turntable complex is likely to be the most expensive
part while the straight electronic parts are going to cost less and less
as time goes by.  For instance, while $1000 for a turntable is reasonably
good quality, the best CD players go for $400-600 these days.   Tape Decks,
when you rate quality by something other than the rampant featurism that
plagues these devices, is frequently based on the transport and the more
expensive decks yield better sound due to the mechancial quality rather
than electronic.

-Ron

rentsch@unc.UUCP (Tim Rentsch) (11/06/85)

> In general, things are so fuzzy in audio, you shouldn't believe
> any absolute statements, especially by a manufacturer who has vested
> interest in making you believe what they want you to believe.  (Does Linn
> make speakers?)

Would it be redundant of me to point out that ALL manufacturers have
a vested interest in making you believe what they want you to
believe?

rentsch@unc.UUCP (Tim Rentsch) (11/06/85)

The following message has some rather harsh criticisms.  Please stop
reading now if you would rather not read them.

I have a few complaints to register about article <194@opus.UUCP>,
from rcd@opus.UUCP (written by Dick Dunn).  He writes:

>[Commenting on a Linn/Naim presentation...]
>Linn/Naim was discussed in net.audio some time back.  They were generally
>not well received (putting it euphemistically).  The most noticeable
>difficulties with what they say and do:

Then why rehash?  More importantly, why say "everyone else thinks
Linn is bad"?  (Except to engage in one of the most questionable
kinds of arguing tactics.)

>	- They are rabidly, irrationally anti-digital.

"Rabidly" and "irrationally" don't necessarily go together.  I am
anti-CD; some people might call me rabid, and they are entitled to
their opinion.  But I am not irrationally anti-CD, not by anyone's
definition.  I have listened to CD's and they have all sounded bad
(this can instead be read as "worse than other sources" -- my
standards of what is acceptable might be different from someone
elses);  whether you agree with my conclusion or not, you must agree
that I have a sensible reason for my opinion.  Even if you think my
conclusion is not scientifically convincing (because of level
matching, double blind, or whatever), the conclusion was still
arrived at by rational means.

To say that the the Linn people are irrationally anti-digital means
you must understand not only what they give as their argument but
also their state of mind.  No doubt you will tell me that you know
their state of mind (and can discern it from their advertising...).

>>	Basically what was said can be summed up by the following statement:
>>Vinyl records (as opposed to tape/cd) provide the best possible reproduction
>>of music.  It then follows that the backbone of a good system lies in the
>>record player.
>
>...which is a notably good view for Linn, which is mostly in the business
>of turntables, tonearms, and cartridges...

Boy am I ever sick of this argument!  "Vested interest, that's why
Linn knocks CD's."  Did it ever occur to you jerks that Sony has
more money invested in CD's right now than Linn will ever see in its
life as a manufacturing corporation?  You think Sony doesn't care
about that investment?  You think the other CD manufacturers don't
care?  You bet they do.  And they have spent and will spend quite a
bit of effort protecting their investment and insuring that CD's are
a commercial success -- whether the CD's sound good or bad.

One last thing:  recently there was mention of nut.audio as the name
of this newsgroup.  Remember that the name of the newsgroup is
net.audio;  it is NOT net.audio.technology, or even net.audio.CD.  I
for one would be ecstatic if net.audio.CD came in to being so I
wouldn't have to listen to the pro-CD people constantly proclaim the
virtues of CD (and ad hominem the analog people).  In short, I'm
tired of listening to people who don't seem to listen to what other
people say (or, in some cases, who don't seem to listen at all).

Now, is that loud and clear?

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) (11/07/85)

In article <536@unc.unc.UUCP> rentsch@unc.UUCP (Tim Rentsch) writes:

>I have a few complaints to register about article <194@opus.UUCP>,
>from rcd@opus.UUCP (written by Dick Dunn).  He writes:
>
>>>	Basically what was said can be summed up by the following statement:
>>>Vinyl records (as opposed to tape/cd) provide the best possible reproduction
>>>of music.  It then follows that the backbone of a good system lies in the
>>>record player.
>>
>>...which is a notably good view for Linn, which is mostly in the business
>>of turntables, tonearms, and cartridges...
>
>Boy am I ever sick of this argument!  "Vested interest, that's why
>Linn knocks CD's."  Did it ever occur to you jerks that Sony has
>more money invested in CD's right now than Linn will ever see in its
>life as a manufacturing corporation?  You think Sony doesn't care
>about that investment?  You think the other CD manufacturers don't
>care?  You bet they do.  And they have spent and will spend quite a
>bit of effort protecting their investment and insuring that CD's are
>a commercial success -- whether the CD's sound good or bad.

What in the world does Sony have to do with Dick Dunn -- or this argument?
We aren't arguing digital vs. audio here.  Dick's article never mentioned
buying a CD Player *instead* of a Linn.  In fact it never advocated CDs
at all.  It merely said that the price performance of a Linn wasn't worth
the cash.

>In short, I'm
>tired of listening to people who don't seem to listen to what other
>people say (or, in some cases, who don't seem to listen at all).
>
>Now, is that loud and clear?

You bet, Tim.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (11/07/85)

>>1) The effect of a change in tracking force on the music.  The claim
>>   is - increased tracking force is better.
>
>for what?  not for record wear (though of course, too little is bad
>too).  any cartridge will track better at the higher end of the
>recommended tracking forces, without exception.  tracking better
>automatically reduces various kinds of distortion.  whether the record
>wear is acceptable is another question.

In most cases, record wear will be reduced by setting the tracking
force towards the *high* side of the recommended range.  As you said,
any cartridge will track better at the high end of the range, and a
cartridge that tracks better does less damage to the grooves.  In
nearly every case, the reduction of groove damage caused by better
tracking will more than counter the increased wear of the slightly
heavier tracking force.  This is particularly true of some older
cartridges.  A few years back, manufacturers tended to suggest
tracking forces that were less than optimal for their cartridges,
since customers used these suggestions as a criterion for selecting a
cartridge in the first place.

Ben Broder
..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben

michaelk@azure.UUCP (Mike Kersenbrock) (11/08/85)

>~
>Boy am I ever sick of this argument!  "Vested interest, that's why
>Linn knocks CD's."  Did it ever occur to you jerks that Sony has
>more money invested in CD's right now than Linn will ever see in its
>life as a manufacturing corporation?  You think Sony doesn't care
>about that investment?  You think the other CD manufacturers don't
>care?  You bet they do.  And they have spent and will spend quite a
>bit of effort protecting their investment and insuring that CD's are
>  commercial success -- whether the CD's sound good or bad.

Ummm, my turntable is a SONY (PSX-800) .  Sony is cutting its own throat by
pushing CDs. Why doesn't Linn?  I suspect that Sony's turntable
sales volume probably will be cut by more than Linn's entire sales volume.

>One last thing:  recently there was mention of nut.audio as the name
>of this newsgroup.  Remember that the name of the newsgroup is
>net.audio;  it is NOT net.audio.technology, or even net.audio.CD.  I
>for one would be ecstatic if net.audio.CD came in to being so I
>wouldn't have to listen to the pro-CD people constantly proclaim the
>virtues of CD (and ad hominem the analog people).  In short, I'm
>tired of listening to people who don't seem to listen to what other
>people say (or, in some cases, who don't seem to listen at all).
>
>Now, is that loud and clear?

Um, you want net.audio.analog ?  Everybody is listening, but
noone believes.  Except for some technical subjects ("how much is
the list price for xxx?") this net can at most give pointers for
personal research or to provoke thought into things that you
didn't concider (but that you still want to decide yourself).
The only thing that gets me is when the same things get repeated
too much.  I don't see any practical way around it due to
the transitory nature of this net's participants.  Of course
if it seems that everyone is argueing against you, maybe
it isn't them that ain't listening.  Heck, I plug my ears with
cotton before running netnews....

Mike Kersenbrock
Tektronix Software Development Products
Aloha, Oregon
--

gt3403b@gitpyr.UUCP (Ray Chen) (11/08/85)

In article <486@brl-sem.ARPA>, ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
> Actually, anything that introduces a mechanical component into the audio
> chain and therefore involves craftsmanship rather than mere design to
> produce good results is going to be inordinately more expensive.  This is
> why speakers and the turntable complex is likely to be the most expensive
> part while the straight electronic parts are going to cost less and less
> as time goes by.

I agree, which is the main reason behind my putting an upper limit
on the cost ratio I recommended.  If you're after an good level
of performance from all parts of your stereo system and you put
enough money into it, the mechanical components will begin to dominate
the cost. If I was putting together a $6000 system, I could see
putting say, $2000 into the speakers, $3000 into the table/arm/cartridge
and $1000 into the preamp and amp.

Electronics (both design and manufacturing) are improving faster than
mechanisms, so I also expect the electronically-oriented components
to get cheaper and cheaper as time goes by (which means the ratio will
have to get tweaked).

So, anybody got $6000 they want to give me ?? :-)

	Ray Chen
	gitpyr!chen

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!chen

gt3403b@gitpyr.UUCP (Ray Chen) (11/09/85)

Thank you Dick, for saying what I wanted to say far more eloquently.

	Ray Chen
	gitpyr!chen

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!chen

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (11/12/85)

> I have a few complaints to register about article <194@opus.UUCP>,
> from rcd@opus.UUCP (written by Dick Dunn).  He writes:
> >Linn/Naim was discussed in net.audio some time back.  They were generally
> >not well received (putting it euphemistically)...
>
> Then why rehash?...

Because the original posting asked about Linn/Naim (including a request for
opinions).  If the issue comes up again (as many issues do on the net) and
it's been long enough since the last discussion, there are things which may
bear repeating.

> >	- They are rabidly, irrationally anti-digital.
>
> "Rabidly" and "irrationally" don't necessarily go together.  I am
> anti-CD; some people might call me rabid, and they are entitled to
> their opinion.  But I am not irrationally anti-CD, not by anyone's
> definition...

The comma between the two adverbs means that both apply, separately, to the
adjective.  In other words, YES, I mean that Linn is anti-digital, and in
a manner which is BOTH rabid and irrational.  Being rabid, by itself, is
only a matter of curiousity, perhaps suspicion.  I know people who are
rabidly anti-CD, with some reasons which are at least plausible and perhaps
reasonable.  I know a few people who are generally anti-digital (which is
saying a lot more than anti-CD), but at least they have some "reasons" in
the sense that their explanations are mostly amenable to analysis--which I
do not find to be the case with Linn's arguments.  (Conspiracy theories are
notably difficult to analyze:-)

By my standards, if an audio manufacturer is going to take a vociferous
position against an idea which a large part of the industry holds to be
sound, the least we, as intelligent consumers, can demand is a decent
explanation.  "Because I know better" is not a decent explanation.  There
have been changes in attitude in the audio industry--it was once
fashionable to regard the difference between .0025% and .002% THD as
significant; this is no longer so regarded.  This change came about through
a vociferous minority--but it happened because they tested/explained/
analyzed/studied/measured, not because they raged like Lear.

> To say that the the Linn people are irrationally anti-digital means
> you must understand not only what they give as their argument but
> also their state of mind.  No doubt you will tell me that you know
> their state of mind (and can discern it from their advertising...).

If you examine their advertising, I believe you can discern something of
their state of mind.  Digressing a bit, giving my own very personal view
(note caveats, please), I find that when I read their advertising I must
conclude:  These guys must be three flavors of weird to believe this...and
if they don't believe it at all but publish it anyway, they must be FIVE
flavors of weird.  Perhaps I should have presented more evidence (e.g.,
excerpts from their advertising) to explain these views.

> >>Vinyl records (as opposed to tape/cd) provide the best possible reproduction
> >>of music.  It then follows that the backbone of a good system lies in the
> >>record player...
> >...which is a notably good view for Linn, which is mostly in the business
> >of turntables, tonearms, and cartridges...
> Boy am I ever sick of this argument!

Hey, me too...but it seems to hold up again and again.  Actually, I don't
know--do they make the record-playing part of the system because that's
important, or do they call it important because that's what they make?  I
suppose I should be glad they're consistent, regardless of which of this
egg/chick pair came first--but internal consistency isn't enough.

> "Vested interest, that's why
> Linn knocks CD's."  Did it ever occur to you jerks that Sony has
> more money invested in CD's right now than Linn will ever see in its
> life as a manufacturing corporation?  You think Sony doesn't care
> about that investment?

Clean it up, kid.  I'm not a jerk and neither are most of the other folks who
read this newsgroup.  Some of them (NOT me, but perhaps jj, ark, rfg, rdp,
etc.) have a decade or two of professional experience on you--and I mean
that they understand the business side of the industry as well as the
technical side.

Of course Sony has an investment in CD's!  They've over-promoted them!
They've marketed some players which haven't been very good.  And I will
criticize Sony for hyping their private interests just as I will criticize
Linn for hyping theirs.  Don't ask me to forgive Linn because of Sony's
sins, for heaven's sake!  The question was about Linn, so why should I
flame Sony in response?  Did it ever occur to YOU that Linn has a much
larger PROPORTION of their business invested in vinyl records than Sony
has in CD's--and that the driving factor for hype is not the absolute
number of dollars (pounds, yen resp.) but the proportion of investment?

> One last thing:  recently there was mention of nut.audio as the name
> of this newsgroup.  Remember that the name of the newsgroup is
> net.audio;  it is NOT net.audio.technology, or even net.audio.CD.  I
> for one would be ecstatic if net.audio.CD came in to being so I
> wouldn't have to listen to the pro-CD people constantly proclaim the
> virtues of CD (and ad hominem the analog people).  In short, I'm
> tired of listening to people who don't seem to listen to what other
> people say (or, in some cases, who don't seem to listen at all).

Yes, it is net.audio.   It is not net.flame, by the way.  "Ad Hominem" is
not a verb, by the way...say "attack" if that's what you mean.  [What are
"analog people"?  Doesn't everyone have analog amps?  Do you mean "anti-
digital?]  You are in no position to criticize "people who don't seem to
listen..."

Compact Discs and the associated technology and equipment are the most
recent major development in audio.  As such, they are likely to receive a
disproportionate amount of the discussion; that's just the way it works.
If there is some serious advance in another area of audio equipment,
discussion will shift that direction.  The CD wars were waged in net.audio
some six months to a year ago--I am no more eager to see them return than
you (or most of the rest of us).  I gladly admit that CD's have problems--
which to me means that I would like to talk about the problems and what to
do about them.  [I have a few abominable CD's and I'd like to have as few
more as possible!]  With CD's I have traded surface noise and dynamic range
for imaging (and some other properties which are hard to describe but
nonetheless real).  I'm as eager to talk about the problems of surface
noise in vinyl (if there's anything to be said or done about it) as I am
about the problems of CD's.

Oh, yeah, by the way--do you have any substantive support for Linn's
claims--or only criticism of what I said?  Are you willing to support the
claims, for instance, that:
	- a digital watch (with alarm) or telephone in the same room as
	  an audio system will seriously degrade sound reproduction?
	- distortion introduced earlier in the sound-reproduction chain
	  is more serious than distortion introduced by later stages?
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...If you get confused just listen to the music play...