[net.audio] Sorry about previous posting, This one's right

prem@allegra.UUCP (Swami Devanbu) (11/19/85)

Replace this line with your message
Subject: Power amplifier questions
Newsgroups: net.audio

[  Burp! ]

I have some questions about power amplifiers:

a) Is there any data (or theoreritical reason) that would
   cause one to suspect that amplifiers with "intelligent"
   power supplies (NAD, Carver, Proton)  would have greater
   tendency for Transient distortions ?

b) Does bridging cause any additional problems in terms
   of phases being different between the two sides of an
   amplifier, and the different drain on the power supply ?

c) Does high current capability on the output side have
   anything to do with anything ?

d) Is this calculation correct: The slew rate for the
   NAD 2200 is rated at 35 V/MicroScond, or 35 megavolts/sec.

   for a frequency of 20 KHz:

   Signal: sin2PiFt,  F = 20,000.
   Derivative: 2PiFcos2PiFt, at t=0 (crossover point),
   derivative =~ 125K times the signal amplitute volts/sec.

   So max signal amplitude, approx: 280 Volts.

   To deliver rated 400 W transient power into 8 ohms, needed
   voltage is approx 58 V.

   So why should I give a flying findangle to get an amp with
   a higher slew rate ? Assuming, of course, I was using a
   CD, which has lower bandwidth than an LP :->.

If there is enough interest, I will repost all the answers.

{ucbvax,vax135,ihnp4}!allegra!prem