[net.audio] The Jewel Box

dgt@myrias.UUCP (David Tang) (12/04/85)

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) writes:

> I just bought my first CD in alternative packaging, the Christmas
> Album by Mannheim Steamroller.  This title, released by American
> Gramaphone Records, is particularly sneaky, because there is no way to
> tell that it doesn't have a jewel box until you get it home.  Like the
> two previous albums released without a jewel box, this CD comes in a
> cardboard outerbox, but unlike the others, the outer box is the same
> thickness as a standard CD.

I am assuming that the last line should read "...the outer box is the same
thickness as a standard jewel box." (or something like that).  In which case
I have encountered a couple of CDs packaged in this manner, namely Sting's
The Dream of the Blue Turtles, and Howard Jone's Dream into Action.  In both
cases I was able to determine if they contained a jewel box by squeezing.
The jewel box offers a little more resistance to the pressure.

And in other related news, the Dec. issue of Digital Audio has the following
News Flash -  Warner Bros. and Elektra Records back off plans for all-cardboard
CD packaging.  Apparently the two manufacturers that produced the cardboard
packaging used with Prince's 'Around the World in a Day' and Motley Crue's
'Theatre of Pain', report no pending orders for similar types of packaging.