[net.audio] Infrared remotes

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (01/06/86)

	Can someone out there give a simple explaination of how infrared
remote controls work? How hard would it be to build your own? Is there
a "programmable, one unit imitates anything" one of these on the market?
(Hmmmm, new product idea....)

	My cable decoder, TV and VCR all have infrared remote and I think
it would be fun to build something capable of controlling all three.

--
Edward C. Bennett

ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!edward

"Goodnight M.A."

murray@hcradm.UUCP (Murray Maloney) (01/07/86)

I recently purchased GE's new Command Control.  It is a programmable
remote controller which can be used in place of up to 4 remotes.
It operates in four modes: TV, VCR, CABLE, and AUX.  I am using the
AUX mode to control my Sony STR VX550 A/V Receiver.  The unit has
35 programmable keys in each mode, plus a variety of of special
functions which are selectable through a FUNCTION key which displays
function names in an LCD window.

I have put all of my remote controllers away, and now have only one
unit sitting on my chairside table.  Through it I control my complete
A/V system, including all volume controls, cassette deck, turntable,
TV, cable and radio channel selection, and CD player.

While building such a device might be a very interesting and
challenging project, I doubt that you could beat the $119 U.S.
price that I paid in Clearwater, Fla.  Try your local GE store.
These units are not selling in great numbers yet, and you can
likely find them in stock.  Be advised that some retailers are asking
for the full $150 List Price.

Good Luck,

Murray Maloney

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (01/08/86)

> Is there a "programmable, one unit imitates anything" one on the market?

GE makes one.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

dca@edison.UUCP (01/10/86)

> 	Can someone out there give a simple explaination of how infrared
> remote controls work? How hard would it be to build your own? Is there
> a "programmable, one unit imitates anything" one of these on the market?
> (Hmmmm, new product idea....)
Infra-red remotes simply work by pulsing a infra-red led at a certain
frequency (pretty easy).  There is a remote out there made by GE for
around $100 (I think) which can be taught remote codes (you put the
GE remote in learn mode and then press the appropriate button on the
remote you want to substitute for).  After teaching the GE remote
can then send any of the remote codes you taught it.

David Albrecht

gelfand@valid.UUCP (Brooks Galfand) (01/11/86)

> 	Can someone out there give a simple explaination of how infrared
> remote controls work? How hard would it be to build your own? Is there
> a "programmable, one unit imitates anything" one of these on the market?
> (Hmmmm, new product idea....)
>
> 	My cable decoder, TV and VCR all have infrared remote and I think
> it would be fun to build something capable of controlling all three.
>
> --
> Edward C. Bennett
>
> ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!edward
>
> "Goodnight M.A."

General Electric makes a programmable infared remote controller.
I have seen it advertised but have not tried it.

bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) (01/14/86)

In article <> gelfand@valid.UUCP (Brooks Galfand) writes:
>> 	My cable decoder, TV and VCR all have infrared remote and I think
>> it would be fun to build something capable of controlling all three.
>>
>General Electric makes a programmable infared remote controller.
>I have seen it advertised but have not tried it.

if anybody out there has more specific info on the said controller,
i'd appreciate it... i too have the ol' "juggle three remote controller"
blues...

bing

--
"Break, but never bend."		from an oak tree i know
			...that can move in two directions at the same time

...akgua!galbp!bing

murray@hcradm.UUCP (Murray Maloney) (01/17/86)

In article <264@galbp.UUCP> bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) writes:
>In article <> gelfand@valid.UUCP (Brooks Galfand) writes:
>>> 	My cable decoder, TV and VCR all have infrared remote and I think
>>> it would be fun to build something capable of controlling all three.
>>>
>>General Electric makes a programmable infared remote controller.
>>I have seen it advertised but have not tried it.
>
>if anybody out there has more specific info on the said controller,
>i'd appreciate it... i too have the ol' "juggle three remote controller"
>blues...

I purchased the GE Central Control while I was in the Tampa-St. Pete area.
The manager of a local GE store said that he had sold only two to-date.
MSLP for this unit is $150 in U.S. funds (I'm from Canada), but I paid $119.

The hand control has about 35 keys on it, one of which is used to select
the source device ( TV, VCR, Cable, AUX ).  I use it to control my
Toshiba FST TV/Monitor, Sony SL2700 Beta HiFi VCR, and Sony STR VX550
Audio Video Receiver.  I don't use a cable box now, so that source is
unused at present.

Since the full set of keys is available in each source,even very complex
systems can be programmed.  In each source, a set of "hidden" functions
can also be programmed, and called back through the unit's LCD display.
These functions include device controls which may not be present on some
current remote controls ( BALANCE, COLOR, TINT, BRIGHTNESS... ).
VCR special effect functions, cable tuning, and a myriad of AUX functions
are included.  You can't re-program the function names, but there is nothing
stopping you from using a function for a different purpose.

In all four source modes, I have programmed the VOLUME and MUTE keys
to control the level of my stereo receiver.  Meanwhile, I use the
BALANCE function, in TV and AUX modes, to control the level on the TV.
I get maximum effect of my outboard "Surround Sound" decoder by having
full control over the Stereo and Center channel levels.

I am quite pleased with the performance of my Control Central.
It was a breeze to program, and it seems to emit a wider signal
than the Toshiba remote I have ( I had to aim it directly at the
bottom of the TV ).

There seems to be a lot of interest in this device on the net, so
I will post again, when I have the manual ( easy to follow ) and
the hand unit with me.  Before you run out to get one of these
great little toys, be advised that Wozniak is developing his own
version.  It is rumored to be even more versatile than the GE model,
with expandable memory and full programmability of functions.