[net.audio] Intelligence of the GE IR remote

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (01/17/86)

After reading several net articles about the GE programmable remote and its
memory, I have one question...

How do you resolve conflicts between two devices which use the same IR
signal for different purposes?

When I used to work in the TV department of a department store, I remember
seeing times when two adjacent sets would use the same signal for different
purposes- on one TV, the channel would step while on the other, the volume
would increase. How does the GE (or GE owners) resolve this?

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	CLUE:	This movie was based on a board game. I would rather have
		seen a movie version of Scrabble.
						-Stuart Klein, WNEW-TV

ron@brl-smoke.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/20/86)

> When I used to work in the TV department of a department store, I remember
> seeing times when two adjacent sets would use the same signal for different
> purposes- on one TV, the channel would step while on the other, the volume
> would increase. How does the GE (or GE owners) resolve

You don't have too.  If you have two devices that act on the same signal you
lose whether you use the GE or the individual remote controls from each one.

-Ron

rep@panda.UUCP (Pete Peterson) (01/21/86)

In article <607@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
>After reading several net articles about the GE programmable remote and its
>memory, I have one question...
>
>How do you resolve conflicts between two devices which use the same IR
>signal for different purposes?
>
>When I used to work in the TV department of a department store, I remember
>seeing times when two adjacent sets would use the same signal for different
>purposes- on one TV, the channel would step while on the other, the volume
>would increase. How does the GE (or GE owners) resolve this?

Except for the fact that somebody mentioned that the GE unit appeared to be
less directional than others, I don't see why this should be more of a problem
with the GE unit than with the normal IR remote controls.  It is, however, a
real problem.  A friend of mine has a VCR and a cable box both of which have
remote controls.  From time to time when he attempts some remote function on
the VCR, the TV set will turn off because the VCR remote control activates the
POWER OFF function of the cable box.  Perhaps what's needed is some kind of
prefix code in new remote control designs so that a particular unit responds
only to commands directed at it.
	pete peterson