[net.chess] chess program source?

jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) (07/25/85)

Some time ago (1-2 months) an article was posted essentially
saying that the author had a C version of the Unix chess program
available and asking if there was interest in it being posted.

I'm pretty sure the posting was to this group but I have seen
nothing about since either here or in net.sources, mod.sources.

I would really like to get a copy of this to bring up on my
msdos system at home where it can happily munch as many cycles
as it wants.

Does anyone know anything about it's existence (or of any other
sources {C, Pascal, Assembler, Lisp} for chess programs that
are free/cheap)?

Thanks in advance,

		John Chapman

--

	John Chapman
	...!watmath!watcgl!jchapman

	Disclaimer : These are not the opinions of anyone but me
		     and they may not even be mine.

rosalia@tekig4.UUCP (Mark Galassi) (08/02/85)

In article <2248@watcgl.UUCP> jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) writes:
>Some time ago (1-2 months) an article was posted essentially
>saying that the author had a C version of the Unix chess program
>available and asking if there was interest in it being posted.
>	John Chapman

    Yes, I was one of those who replied to  John Buck's offer, but he
hasn't said anything in about 2 weeks now. I would like to ask him to
post it (hear me?), as I know several people would like it. If you
want, his UUCP path is
>>>John Buck (philabs!ron1!polyof!john  or decvax!mcnc!rti-sel!polyof!john)

						Mark Galassi
					...!tektronix!reed!rosalia

stern@bnl.UUCP (eric) (08/09/85)

>Some time ago (1-2 months) an article was posted essentially
>saying that the author had a C version of the Unix chess program
>available and asking if there was interest in it being posted.
>	John Chapman

   I am also interested in this, but for different reasons.  I
also rewrote the PDP-11 assembler parts of the program in C, but
there are still a few problems.  There seems to be a bug in the
move evaluation, as some moves are not given the correct weighting.
Other than that, it all seems to work.  I do not have the time
or inclination to go into it further, but am willing to share
my code with others if they are so inclined.  If there are people
out there who were involved in the original development of the
program, I would like to get in contact with them to understand
how the program works.

					Eric Stern
					...!philabs!sbcs!bnl!stern
					stern@bnl.arpa