[net.audio] cordless headphones

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (01/24/86)

> I had heard of a product which was shown at the 1985 Winter CES in Las
> Vegas which was an infrared (?) headphone connection. You simply plugged the
> main box into the PHONES jack, then put on the pair of wireless headphones,
> and you could move anywhere in the room and listen without making any
> noise.

For what it's worth, there's an ad for "Cordless Infrared Headphones" for
$99 in a slick yuppie-toy catalog.  I have no idea of how real either the
manufacturer of the headphones or the catalog marketer might be; it's just
one of those fancy color catalogs (Sharper Image style) that shows up from
time to time.  The manufacturer is "Nady" (?); the catalog is "Exeters".

The transmitter plugs into the headphone jack and the wall outlet.  The
headphones themselves have a rather bulky-looking headband with a little
dome at the top (about 1/2" dia?) that contains the sensor.  There are no
specs on it other than battery life (100 hr) and weight of headphones (7
oz).
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...I'm not cynical - just experienced.

agb@reed.UUCP (Alexander G. Burchell) (01/28/86)

In article <343@opus.UUCP> rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) writes:
> For what it's worth, there's an ad for "Cordless Infrared Headphones" for
> $99 in a slick yuppie-toy catalog.  I have no idea of how real either the
> manufacturer of the headphones or the catalog marketer might be; it's just
> one of those fancy color catalogs (Sharper Image style) that shows up from
> time to time.  The manufacturer is "Nady" (?); the catalog is "Exeters".
> Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
>    ...I'm not cynical - just experienced.

	Nady makes professional wireless microphones and (I think) wireless
guitar xmitters that allow you to jump about on stage w/out tripping over
your cord.  I would imagine that these guys would know what they were doing
vis. wireless, but I have no idea about how well they make headphones...

					Alexander G. Burchell

UUCP:	..!{decvax,ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,zehntel}!tektronix!reed!agb
MAIL:	Box 172, Reed College, 3203 SE Woodstock Dr., Portland OR 97202

andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) (01/29/86)

In article <343@opus.UUCP> rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) writes:
>> I had heard of a product which was shown at the 1985 Winter CES in Las
>> Vegas which was an infrared (?) headphone connection. You simply plugged the
>> main box into the PHONES jack, then put on the pair of wireless headphones,
>> and you could move anywhere in the room and listen without making any
>> noise.

I own one of these units (purchased via Heathkit) and they suffer
from a lot of static.  The headphones are unconfortable and keep
slipping off your head.  Unless you adjust the volume on the source
just right, the sound keeps popping on and off.

All and all, I would say that until this technology is vastly improved,
stay away from it at all costs unless you happen to love static.

                                ihnp4-\
                sdcsvax-\              \
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!nrcutah!andre
                hplabs--/              /
                         ucbvax!calma-/

Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C