[net.audio] Quality capacitor upgrades - also CD strangeness

brad@kontron.UUCP (Brad Yearwood) (03/05/86)

Does anyone know reasonably priced sources of better quality capacitors
for upgrading and repairing audio equipment?  I see magazine ads for audiophile
capacitors from the supplier of the previously mentioned "audiophile
solder %-< ".  I'd rather pay for capacitors than hype.  Local electronics
stores (even in this electronic retailer-rich area) seem to concentrate
on the usual electrolytics, ceramic disks, and a few token micas and
low-value Mylars.  Pointers to reliable mail order houses or S.F. Bay area
retailers would be appreciated.

Also, when playing CD's (I've tried 3 different players), I often get
ugly ticks or splatters in the right speaker when listening to passages in
classical music in which the string basses (or perhaps cellos) are particularly
active.  I don't recall hearing anything comparable on rock or other types
of music.  It happens on a number of different classical recordings.  Is it
likely to be a defective amp channel or speaker, a preamp overloading problem,
common recording problems, or what?  Does anyone else notice a similar problem
(which might point more to problems in the recordings)?

Brad Yearwood
Kontron Electronics  {pyramid, voder, loral}!kontron!brad
Mountain View, CA

jimt@felix.UUCP (James Tringali) (03/08/86)

In article <571@kontron.UUCP> brad@kontron.UUCP (Brad Yearwood) writes:

>Also, when playing CD's (I've tried 3 different players), I often get
>ugly ticks or splatters in the right speaker when listening to passages in
>classical music in which the string basses
>(or perhaps cellos) are particularly
>active.  I don't recall hearing anything comparable on rock or other types
>of music.  It happens on a number of different classical recordings.  Is it
>likely to be a defective amp channel or speaker,
>a preamp overloading problem,
>common recording problems, or what?

Recently, I experienced similar symptoms  while listening to
CD  media  classical  music.    I  swapped  speakers and the
tainted sound followed the speaker.  I  assumed some tweeter
damage had been done so I ordered another part.  Sure enough
one week later the suspect tweeter  blew out  completely.  I
am still at a  loss as  to the  exact cause  of the failure.
Just before I  added the  CD player  to my  system I changed
residences.  Does  anyone know  if rough  handling can cause
tweeter  damage?    Or  could  this  be a  case of amplifier
clipping presenting a deadly DC component to the tweeter?

Any suggestions would be  appreciated as  I want  to avoid a
repeat of this incident.

					       J. James Tringali
					{decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!felix!jimt
					  FileNet Corp. Costa Mesa, CA.

Look at your watch, its time to quit dreaming
and get on the beam.        - b. nelson