[net.audio] advice on CD players

luca@alberta.UUCP (Luca Vanzella) (02/25/86)

I've been reading this newsgroup for a while and would like to know if
anyone has posted some guidelines on the evaluation of CD players.  I'm
looking for a CD player and I have read and heard various opinions on
things like: over-sampling, digital vs analog filtering, single vs three
beam laser tracking, etc.  If anyone has posted such an article in the
recent past I would appreciate it if they would e-mail to me at the address
below.

One thing in particular - a local dealer (carries JVC, Sanyo, and Sony)
suggested to me that 3-beam laser units would not last as long as 1-beam
laser units due to "the power configuration".  He suggested 6-8 years
life expectancy vs 8-10 years.  Any comments?  Please e-mail them. I will
summarize to the net, if possible.

I've read with interest many of the articles on this group.  Thanks to
all those who post reviews of good/bad quality CD's.

Thanks in advance.
Luca Vanzella (...!ihnp4!alberta!luca)

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (03/04/86)

In article <817@alberta.UUCP>, luca@alberta.UUCP (Luca Vanzella) writes:
> One thing in particular - a local dealer (carries JVC, Sanyo, and Sony)
> suggested to me that 3-beam laser units would not last as long as 1-beam
> laser units due to "the power configuration".  He suggested 6-8 years
> life expectancy vs 8-10 years.

This is just not true.  This salesman seems to suffer from the common
misconception that 3 beams means 3 lasers.  This just isn't the case.
The three beam units use half silvered mirrors to split the beam of a
single laser into three individual beams.  The center beam is used for
reading audio information -- it is equivilent to the single beam used
in other machines.  The other two beams are aimed just to the left and
right of the track.  The outputs from the photodetectors from the side
beams are compared.  If the unit is tracking properly, the difference
should be zero.  But if the pickup is off slightly, one of the auxiliary
beams will be dimmer (because it will be catching the edge of the pits).
The sign and magnitude of the difference between the two auxiliary beams
tells the player how much of a correction it needs to make and in what
direction.  This mechanism gives a three beam player a big advantage in
tracking eccentric discs.

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben

atoy@watnot.UUCP (Andy Toy) (03/05/86)

In article <253@catnip.UUCP> Ben Broder writes:
>This is just not true.  This salesman seems to suffer from the common
>misconception that 3 beams means 3 lasers.  This just isn't the case.
>The three beam units use half silvered mirrors to split the beam of a
>single laser into three individual beams.

The 3 beam players do indeed have only one laser which is split, but
I think it is done using a diffraction grating and not half silvered
mirrors.

>The center beam is used for
>reading audio information -- it is equivilent to the single beam used
>in other machines.  The other two beams are aimed just to the left and
>right of the track.  The outputs from the photodetectors from the side
>beams are compared.  If the unit is tracking properly, the difference
>should be zero.  But if the pickup is off slightly, one of the auxiliary
>beams will be dimmer (because it will be catching the edge of the pits).
>The sign and magnitude of the difference between the two auxiliary beams
>tells the player how much of a correction it needs to make and in what
>direction.  This mechanism gives a three beam player a big advantage in
>tracking eccentric discs.

Just to elaborate a bit on this, the beams on either side of the central
beam are half on and half off of the adjacent pit tracks.  If, for example
the beams start drifting to the left, the left beam will get darker since
it will be in the pits more and the right beam will be brighter since it
will be out of the pits more.  The 3 beams will not be right beside each
other, but one will be ahead of the centre beam and the other will be
behind.  This also aids in tracking since only one of the beams will be
in a radial scratch at any one time.
--
  Andy Toy, Mapping Analysis and Design Group (MAD),
  Faculty of Environmental Studies, University of Waterloo,

sjc@mips.UUCP (Steve Correll) (03/07/86)

> The three beam units use half silvered mirrors to split the beam of a
> single laser into three individual beams.  The center beam is used for
> reading audio information -- it is equivilent to the single beam used
> in other machines.  The other two beams are aimed just to the left and
> right of the track.  The outputs from the photodetectors from the side
> beams are compared.  If the unit is tracking properly, the difference
> should be zero.  But if the pickup is off slightly, one of the auxiliary
> beams will be dimmer (because it will be catching the edge of the pits).
> The sign and magnitude of the difference between the two auxiliary beams
> tells the player how much of a correction it needs to make and in what
> direction.  This mechanism gives a three beam player a big advantage in
> tracking eccentric discs.

The argument above would seem to apply equally to one-beam or three-beam
units: it's the number of detectors, not the number of beams, that matters.
(For reference, the papers on the CD system in the Philips Technical Review
volume 40 number 6 describe a mechanism wherein one wide beam impinges on
four photodiode detectors; it too compares the levels from the diodes to
the left and right of the track to decide whether to servo the optical
mechanism to the right or left.)

I doubt that any CD player could do away with such servoing, since
there's nothing else to keep the beam aligned with the track. A
servoless system accurate enough to advance the optics at just the
right speed would cost a lot more than a servo system! Does a
three-beam unit with three detectors really offer advantages over a
one-beam unit with four detectors? If so, why?
--
...decwrl!mips!sjc						Steve Correll

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (03/13/86)

In article <253@catnip.UUCP> ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) writes:
>In article <817@alberta.UUCP>, luca@alberta.UUCP (Luca Vanzella) writes:
>> One thing in particular - a local dealer (carries JVC, Sanyo, and Sony)
>> suggested to me that 3-beam laser units would not last as long as 1-beam
>> laser units due to "the power configuration".  He suggested 6-8 years
>> life expectancy vs 8-10 years.
>
>This is just not true.

This is a pretty strong statement, without any hard facts to back it up.
It _is_ possible that three-beam pickups might die young.  See below.

>This salesman seems to suffer from the common
>misconception that 3 beams means 3 lasers.  This just isn't the case.
>The three beam units use half silvered mirrors to split the beam of a
>single laser into three individual beams.  The center beam is used for
>reading audio information -- it is equivilent to the single beam used
>in other machines.  The other two beams are aimed just to the left and
>right of the track.  The outputs from the photodetectors from the side
>beams are compared.  If the unit is tracking properly, the difference
>should be zero.  But if the pickup is off slightly, one of the auxiliary
>beams will be dimmer (because it will be catching the edge of the pits).
>The sign and magnitude of the difference between the two auxiliary beams
>tells the player how much of a correction it needs to make and in what
>direction.

This is, to the best of my knowledge, an accurate description of how
three-beam pickups work.  Now, let's try a thought experiment,
comparing the two types of pickups.  To get the same raw data S/N from
the disc, I suggest that the intensity of the three-beam pickup's
center beam must equal the total intensity of the single-beam pickup's
laser.  Since the three-beam pickup is also generating two side beams,
its total output must be greater than that of the single beam pickup,
which means higher power dissipation in the diode.  This generally
reduces life expectancy of an electronic component.

I do not know of any studies that discuss actual failure rates of CD
player laser diodes.

>This mechanism gives a three beam player a big advantage in
>tracking eccentric discs.

This statement, while possibly true in specific comparisons, is not
true in the general case.  A while back, reviewers were finding that
certain Philips single-beam players would out-track certain Japanese
three-beam players on defective discs.

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (03/16/86)

In article <601@mmm.UUCP>, schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) writes:
> In article <253@catnip.UUCP> ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) writes:
> >In article <817@alberta.UUCP>, luca@alberta.UUCP (Luca Vanzella) writes:
> >> One thing in particular - a local dealer (carries JVC, Sanyo, and Sony)
> >> suggested to me that 3-beam laser units would not last as long as 1-beam
> >> laser units due to "the power configuration".  He suggested 6-8 years
> >> life expectancy vs 8-10 years.
> >
> >This is just not true.
>
> This is a pretty strong statement, without any hard facts to back it up.
> It _is_ possible that three-beam pickups might die young.  See below.
>
> >This salesman seems to suffer from the common
> >misconception that 3 beams means 3 lasers.  This just isn't the case.
> > {description of 3 beam technology}
>
> This is, to the best of my knowledge, an accurate description of how
> three-beam pickups work.  Now, let's try a thought experiment,
> comparing the two types of pickups.  To get the same raw data S/N from
> the disc, I suggest that the intensity of the three-beam pickup's
> center beam must equal the total intensity of the single-beam pickup's
> laser.  Since the three-beam pickup is also generating two side beams,
> its total output must be greater than that of the single beam pickup,
> which means higher power dissipation in the diode.  This generally
> reduces life expectancy of an electronic component.

Single beam lasers have a much wider beam. Tracking information
must still be provided for the servo circuit.

> I do not know of any studies that discuss actual failure rates of CD
> player laser diodes.

Neither do I, though the one case I know of where a laser diode failed
was an old top loading Magnavox, a single beam design.

> >This mechanism gives a three beam player a big advantage in
> >tracking eccentric discs.
>
> This statement, while possibly true in specific comparisons, is not
> true in the general case.  A while back, reviewers were finding that
> certain Philips single-beam players would out-track certain Japanese
> three-beam players on defective discs.

By eccentric discs, I mean those with the hole punched off-center, not
with other types of defects.  According to the service technician I spoke
with at Studer/Revox (a company that makes single beam units), the
configuration of the three beam machines is much more resistant to this
type of mistracking.

--

sjc@mips.UUCP (Steve Correll) (03/18/86)

> > This statement, while possibly true in specific comparisons, is not
> > true in the general case.  A while back, reviewers were finding that
> > certain Philips single-beam players would out-track certain Japanese
> > three-beam players on defective discs.
>
> By eccentric discs, I mean those with the hole punched off-center, not
> with other types of defects.  According to the service technician I spoke
> with at Studer/Revox (a company that makes single beam units), the
> configuration of the three beam machines is much more resistant to this
> type of mistracking.

Why are they more resistant to eccentricity? As I said in an earlier
posting, the original Philips Technical Review papers explain that
their single-beam mechanism shines one beam onto four detectors, and
uses the imbalance between the detectors to the right of the track and
those to the left of it to generate a correction signal that servos the
optical mechanism.  This is quite similar to Mr. Broder's description
of the three-beam mechanism. Can somebody explain why one wide beam
impinging on four detectors is inferior to three beams impinging on
three detectors?
--
...decwrl!mips!sjc						Steve Correll