[net.audio] Vinyl LP better than CDs

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (04/17/86)

In article <688@edison.UUCP> dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) writes:

>I disagree!, I ran a test where I made a VHS copy on SP and a SUPERBETA
>copy on II and a laser disk (Search for Spock).  The difference between the
>SUPERBETA and VHS was not discernable by me.  The difference between
>either tape and the Laser Disk was immediately obvious.  Both tapes had
>flicker in the solid colors which was not in the laser disk image.
>Equipment:
>
>GE's best VHS deck (One of Panasonics best with Hi-Fi HQ On Screen Prog...)
>    Tape: TDK standard
>SONY HF600
>    Tape: TDK HD PRO
>Laser Disk
>    Philips (I don't remember the number).
>GE Command Performance Series 25" TV.
>
>David Albrecht

For the record, the equipment I used for the test:

Sony SL-HF900, with Sony 750UHG tape, recorded at Beta II
JVC xxxx (allegedly top of the line HQ deck), with TDK xxx (also top of
the line) recorded at sp.

Sony KV-25XBR monitor

Pioneer CLD-900 Laserdisc player

In general, the beta copy was noticably cleaner that the VHS.  Not markedly,
but significantly.

By the way, I noticed a significant difference between the HF900 and HF600,
while recording those "community" information boards on cable.  The 900 was
superior.  For the price difference, it had better be.
--
John Allred
General Computer Company