[net.audio] Tracking Problems Solved!!

GOT@PSUVMA.BITNET (04/21/86)

>In article <688@mtfmt.UUCP> kevin@mtfmt.UUCP (K.LEE) writes:
>>I have a extremely *terrible* tracking problem with my turntable.
>>
>>It does NOT tolerate ANY footstep vibration from the carpeted floor
>>in the radius of 5 feet and misses the track.
>>
>>I'm using Thorens TD318 turntable with Grado Signature 8MR cartridge
>>using 1.5g tracking force, moreover the turntable is sitting on
>>four (4) Audio-Technica Isolators in a entertainment center.
>>
>>Any suggestions and recommendations?
>>Or something wrong with the turntable?
>>

>        Get a CD player.
>
>--
>                                        --MKR

Or you can set your turntable up as I do... the procedure is as follows:

1) Find the laser lab in your college or institution.  Of course this
lab MUST be located in the basement of the building on at least
7 feet of concrete (i've found that 10 feet is the best).

2) Fix your turntable firmly to a work jig that is directly coupled
to the floor (try avoid floors that have tiles and especially rugs
on them).

3) Once the turntable is firmly secured, you can attach the tone arm
to it.  Now the tricky part:  Set up six low power (200 MW should do)
lasers positioned at exactly 60 deg. (+/- .00000005 deg) increments,
pointed at the exact center of gravity of the tonearm (+/- .03 angstroms),
and one more precisely tangential to the platter edge on the tonearm side.

4) Now adjust the tonearm so that you create a 14 sideband interference
pattern on each of six parabolic screens (focal length 4cm) positioned
exactly 14 deg. to the left and 28cm behind the rear surface of the frontal
partially reflective mirrors inside each laser.

5) If you do not see this pattern, your tonearm is probably defective
(assuming that you checked, rechecked, and quadruple checked your
testing set up and measurements).  Throw it away and bye a brand-new
one.  You can, of course, retain the cartridge.

6) If you do see the correct pattern, then your tonearm is properly
aligned.  You must NEVER touch your turntable from now on, as the
slightest vibration will upset the alignment.  Hopefully you had
the foresight to purchase an Auto-Air-Cushion-Disk-Placement-Tonearm-
Positioner available exclusively from Ronco Audio Products.  With this
device you can enjoy your records (until they wear out after the
fourth playing) without ever having to touch them or your magnificent
turntable.

I hope this simple procedure will help you to cure your alignment
problems.  GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Sunil Gupta             |   Bitnet: S2G@PSUECL
Penn State University   |   UUCP  : ihnp4!psuvax1!psuvma.bitnet!got
                        |   ARPA  : s2g%psuecl.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa
                                  ? got%psuvma.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa

          "The word is no. I am therefore going anyway."