[net.audio] Line voltages and Light Bulbs in Chicago

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (05/29/86)

In article <3264@decwrl.DEC.COM> kaplow@crvax1.dec.com (Bob Kaplow - DDO - DTN 423-6141 - * * Reach for the Stars * *) writes:
>>If you really think you have a problem, borrow a recording voltmeter and
>>leave it across the line for a few days.

PGE installed one Tuesday.

>>  If you have a lot of variation or
>>nasty spikes, look for a surplus SOLA type ferroresonant regulator to supply
>>your critical items.  Of course you have to put up with the noise and heat
>>(read effiency < 100% = $$$)...

I've got MOVs on most things to eat spikes.  (MOVs are cheap protection,
*real* power conditioners aren't)

> Here in the Chicago area we have more nuclear power
>plants than any other area in the country (no comments/flames on this
>please), but as a result really don't suffer from the kind of summer
>brownouts that I hear about elsewhere.

No thanks, I prefer to bake my Chicken Kiev with power from hydro-plants.

> Better and cheaper
>is to do your listening at 2AM when there is less load on the power grid
>and the supply is cleaner. It does make a difference.

2AM?  I think I'll suffer.

BTW, why is lightbulb lifetime such an interesting topic?  I don't
burn out bulbs that often, even with the high voltage I'm stuck
with currently.  Most light bulbs are fairly cheap.  I'm a lot
more worried about my electronic gear.

Several people have claimed that having line voltage up to 130 or
so is ok.  Who did the spec for this?  IEEE?  ANSI?  NBS?
(Lets not hear any nonsense about the power companies setting the
standards)

Snoopy
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy