[net.audio] Night Flight to Venus?

bjorn@dataioDataio.UUCP (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) (05/20/86)

I am looking for some songs that I heard between 7 and 9 years ago, and
haven't heard since.  I have asked around at record stores, used record
stores, radio stations, and so on, but no one locally seems to have heard
of the group, the album or the songs.  I think they are an import, but
I'm not sure.  Can anyone is net.land help me?  Have you heard of these
guys?  Do you know where I can get the album?

Group:	bon amme'	(phonetically)
	Bon Hamme	(maybe spelled this way)
	Bon Hommon	(or maybe this way)
			(or maybe something else)

Album:	Night Flight to Venus	(i think)

Songs:	Night Flight to Venus
	Rah, Rah, Rasputin	(spelling? Rasputin was a Russian czar(?))

				Thanks for any help you can offer...
				   Bjorn N Freeman-Benson
				   ..!uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!bjorn

ramesh@oliveb.UUCP (Ramesh Dimbum) (05/22/86)

In article <1001@dataioDataio.UUCP> bjorn@dataioDataio.UUCP (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:
>I am looking for some songs that I heard between 7 and 9 years ago, and
>haven't heard since.  I have asked around at record stores, used record
>stores, radio stations, and so on, but no one locally seems to have heard
>of the group, the album or the songs.  I think they are an import, but
>I'm not sure.  Can anyone is net.land help me?  Have you heard of these
>guys?  Do you know where I can get the album?
>
>Group:	bon amme'	(phonetically)
>	Bon Hamme	(maybe spelled this way)
>	Bon Hommon	(or maybe this way)
>			(or maybe something else)
>
>Album:	Night Flight to Venus	(i think)
>
>Songs:	Night Flight to Venus
>	Rah, Rah, Rasputin	(spelling? Rasputin was a Russian czar(?))
>
>				Thanks for any help you can offer...
>				   Bjorn N Freeman-Benson
>				   ..!uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!bjorn

From postnews Wed May 21 14:06:39 1986
Subject: Re: Night Flight to Venus?
Newsgroups: net.music,net.rumor,net.wanted,net.audio

> I am looking for some songs that I heard between 7 and 9 years ago, and
> haven't heard since.  I have asked around at record stores, used record
> stores, radio stations, and so on, but no one locally seems to have heard
> of the group, the album or the songs.  I think they are an import, but
> I'm not sure.  Can anyone is net.land help me?  Have you heard of these
> guys?  Do you know where I can get the album?
>
> Group:	bon amme'	(phonetically)
> 	Bon Hamme	(maybe spelled this way)
> 	Bon Hommon	(or maybe this way)
> 			(or maybe something else)
>
> Album:	Night Flight to Venus	(i think)
>
> Songs:	Night Flight to Venus
> 	Rah, Rah, Rasputin	(spelling? Rasputin was a Russian czar(?))
>
> 				Thanks for any help you can offer...
> 				   Bjorn N Freeman-Benson
> 				   ..!uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!bjorn

thxx     The Group name is BONEY M - I love their songs also but I have not
found their records also - but I have friend who like the group and in a couple of days I will find them and when I do I will inform you.

good luck - until then.

Ramesh.

ramesh@oliveb.UUCP (Ramesh Dimbum) (05/22/86)

In article <1001@dataioDataio.UUCP> bjorn@dataioDataio.UUCP (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:
>I am looking for some songs that I heard between 7 and 9 years ago, and
>haven't heard since.  I have asked around at record stores, used record
>stores, radio stations, and so on, but no one locally seems to have heard
>of the group, the album or the songs.  I think they are an import, but
>I'm not sure.  Can anyone is net.land help me?  Have you heard of these
>guys?  Do you know where I can get the album?
>
>Group:	bon amme'	(phonetically)
>	Bon Hamme	(maybe spelled this way)
>	Bon Hommon	(or maybe this way)
>			(or maybe something else)
>
>Album:	Night Flight to Venus	(i think)
>
>Songs:	Night Flight to Venus
>	Rah, Rah, Rasputin	(spelling? Rasputin was a Russian czar(?))
>
>				Thanks for any help you can offer...
>				   Bjorn N Freeman-Benson
>				   ..!uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!bjorn

Finally I have come across somebody who likes the Group I love.
the Group name is Boney M.   I am not sure where to find them but I will
certainly investigate and let you know.  I am looking for them TOO!!

Ramesh

marcos@sdchem.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) (05/22/86)

In article <1001@dataioDataio.UUCP> bjorn@dataioDataio.UUCP (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:
>I am looking for some songs that I heard between 7 and 9 years ago, and
>haven't heard since.  I have asked around at record stores, used record
>stores, radio stations, and so on, but no one locally seems to have heard
>of the group, the album or the songs.
>Do you know where I can get the album?
>
>Group:	bon amme'	(phonetically)
>	Bon Hamme	(maybe spelled this way)
>	Bon Hommon	(or maybe this way)
>			(or maybe something else)

The name of the group is Bonnie M. But I guess Bon Homme would have been
a good guess?

>Album:	Night Flight to Venus	(i think)

Yes, they did release an album titled "Night Flight to Venus", along with
a few others in the U.S. They were released on Sire Records (see,
Seymour Stein didn't jump into the disco fold with Madonna). They didn't
do much here (a couple of very minor dance hits, I think). But in Europe
they were hot stuff: lots of hits and one mammoth one--"By the Rivers
of Babylon". This all occurred in the late `70's. By the `80's they
had walked the worn road to footnote heaven in Europe. And of course,
they weren't ever much in the U.S. to begin with. There was a "best of"
released in Europe (through K-Tel, I think), which might still be available
somewhere. Otherwise check the used record bins. I've seen their stuff
from time to time (too bad; I gave away my reviewer copies last year for
nothing. If you'd only asked earlier...).

					     David ("Dr. DAP") Pearlman

"I've suffered with my music for years.
 Now it's your turn..."

ramesh@oliveb.UUCP (Ramesh Dimbum) (05/23/86)

In article <225@sdchema.sdchem.UUCP> marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) writes:
>In article <1001@dataioDataio.UUCP> bjorn@dataioDataio.UUCP (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:
>>I am looking for some songs that I heard between 7 and 9 years ago, and
>>haven't heard since.  I have asked around at record stores, used record
>>stores, radio stations, and so on, but no one locally seems to have heard
>>of the group, the album or the songs.
>>Do you know where I can get the album?
>>
>>Group:	bon amme'	(phonetically)
>>	Bon Hamme	(maybe spelled this way)
>>	Bon Hommon	(or maybe this way)
>>			(or maybe something else)
>>
>The name of the group is Bonnie M. But I guess Bon Homme would have been
>a good guess?
>
>>Album:	Night Flight to Venus	(i think)
>>
>Yes, they did release an album titled "Night Flight to Venus", along with
>a few others in the U.S. They were released on Sire Records (see,
>Seymour Stein didn't jump into the disco fold with Madonna). They didn't
>do much here (a couple of very minor dance hits, I think). But in Europe
>they were hot stuff: lots of hits and one mammoth one--"By the Rivers
>of Babylon". This all occurred in the late `70's. By the `80's they
>had walked the worn road to footnote heaven in Europe. And of course,
>they weren't ever much in the U.S. to begin with. There was a "best of"
>released in Europe (through K-Tel, I think), which might still be available
>somewhere. Otherwise check the used record bins. I've seen their stuff
>from time to time (too bad; I gave away my reviewer copies last year for
>nothing. If you'd only asked earlier...).
>

>					     David ("Dr. DAP") Pearlman
>
>"I've suffered with my music for years.
> Now it's your turn..."

>In article <864@oliveb.UUCP> you write:
>In article <1001@dataioDataio.UUCP> bjorn@dataioDataio.UUCP (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:
>
>Finally I have come across somebody who likes the Group I love.
>the Group name is Boney M.   I am not sure where to find them but I will
>certainly investigate and let you know.  I am looking for them TOO!!
>

>Ramesh
>
>	You can get most of their records from shops in Berkeley.
>	Here is a list of shops and telephone numbers.
>		Rasputin's Records      (415) 848-9004
>		Tower Records		(415) 848-0101
>		Leopolds		(415) 828-2015
>
> Steven Sekiguchi
> U.C. Berkeley
> Dept. ERL
> Berkeley, CA 94720
> (415) 642-9157
> ucbvax!steve

    Thank you steve.  How did you happen to know where to find these records
    do you like them too?

    Ramesh.

udell@Shasta.UUCP (05/23/86)

>>I am looking for some songs that I heard between 7 and 9 years ago, and
>>haven't heard since.  I have asked around at record stores, used record
>>stores, radio stations, and so on, but no one locally seems to have heard
>>of the group, the album or the songs.
>>Do you know where I can get the album?

>The name of the group is Bonnie M.
Boney M

>Yes, they did release an album titled "Night Flight to Venus", along with
>a few others in the U.S. They were released on Sire Records (see,
>Seymour Stein didn't jump into the disco fold with Madonna). They didn't
>do much here (a couple of very minor dance hits, I think). But in Europe
>they were hot stuff: lots of hits and one mammoth one--"By the Rivers
>of Babylon". This all occurred in the late `70's. By the `80's they
>had walked the worn road to footnote heaven in Europe. And of course,
>they weren't ever much in the U.S. to begin with. There was a "best of"
>released in Europe (through K-Tel, I think), which might still be available
>somewhere. Otherwise check the used record bins. I've seen their stuff
>from time to time (too bad; I gave away my reviewer copies last year for
>nothing. If you'd only asked earlier...).

Believe it or not, I heard one of their songs on a Northern Wisconsin radio
station once ("By the Rivers of Babylon"?), and just recently I heard
"Rasputin" while shopping in a local (CA) GEMCO store.  I was also surprised
to see two of their CD's in Tower Records - "Best of ..." in Oregon, and
another in California (a Polygram label, I believe).  I haven't seen "Night
Flight" on CD.

Jon Udell
udell@su-shasta.arpa

malc@unrvax.UUCP (Malcolm Carlock) (05/27/86)

In article <1001@dataioDataio.UUCP> bjorn@dataioDataio.UUCP (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:
>I am looking for some songs that I heard between 7 and 9 years ago, and
>haven't heard since.  (etc)
>
>Group:	bon amme'	(phonetically)
>	Bon Hamme	(maybe spelled this way)
>	Bon Hommon	(or maybe this way)
>			(or maybe something else)
>
>Album:	Night Flight to Venus	(i think)
>
>Songs:	Night Flight to Venus
>	Rah, Rah, Rasputin	(spelling? Rasputin was a Russian czar(?))
>
>				Thanks for any help you can offer...
>				   Bjorn N Freeman-Benson
>				   ..!uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!bjorn

<< Official sacrificial text line for the line-eater bug >>

If the song was "Rah Rah Rasputin", then the group was "Boney M", a band out
of the carribbean, I believe.  (Unless someone else has re-recorded this
song.)

Trivia note:	This group played a concert in the USSR in the late '70's,
		at which Soviet officials bullied/bamboozled not a few
		U.S. embassy employees out of their paid-for seats.

	"Rah, Rah, Rasputin, lover of the Russian Queen*
	 There was a cat who really was gone . . ."

	*Or was it "Russia's greatest love machine"?  I can't remember . . .

		Malc		U of N, Reno

mac@uvacs.UUCP (Alex Colvin) (06/03/86)

> The name of the group is Bonnie M. But I guess Bon Homme would have been
> a good guess?
Try Boney M.  Remember their monster hit, "Rah Rah Rasputin"?  They even
performed in in the USSR.

rpw@uvacs.UUCP (Ray Wagner) (06/03/86)

> > The name of the group is Bonnie M. But I guess Bon Homme would have been
> > a good guess?
> Try Boney M.  Remember their monster hit, "Rah Rah Rasputin"?  They even
> performed in in the USSR.

I thought that their big hit was Brown Girl in the Ring. When I was in
England in early September, 1978, there was nothing else on the radio.

      On the other hand, the bootleg european tape I have of Boney M.'s
      greatest hits does not include BGitR.

      "Brown girl in the ring. Tra-la-la-la-la.
      There's a brown girl in the ring. Tra-la-la-la-la-la.
      Brown girl in the ring. Tra-la-la-la-la.
      She looks like the sugar in a plum. Tra-la.

      Show me a motion. Tra-la-la-la-la.
      Come on, show me a motion. Tra-la-la-la-la-la.
      Show me a motion. Tra-la-la-la-la.
      She looks like the sugar i a plum. Tra-la."

As one can see, they were not famous for deep meaningful lyrics.......

--
Ray Wagner
Computer Science Department                         UUCP  - cbosgd!uvacs!rpw

reza@ihuxn.UUCP (Reza Taheri) (06/10/86)

> > > The name of the group is Bonnie M. But I guess Bon Homme would have been
> > > a good guess?
> > Try Boney M.  Remember their monster hit, "Rah Rah Rasputin"?  They even
> > performed in in the USSR.
>
> I thought that their big hit was Brown Girl in the Ring. When I was in
> England in early September, 1978, there was nothing else on the radio.
> --
> Ray Wagner

   Boy, that brings back memories.  Boney M. is (was?) a super group every
where in the world but the US.  Why they are not as famous here must have
something to do with the record companies' distribution policies and other
internal stuff.  Otherwise, their sound is as good (or as bad) as any other
successful pop-disco band/singer of the past 10 years.

   Brown Girl in the Ring is another cut off Night Flight to Venus, and my
favorite, BTW.  Their most successful songs, however, were Daddy Cool around
1975 and Ma Baker around 1977.  Man, I feel old.  Sob.

H. Reza Taheri
...!ihnp4!ihuxn!reza
(312)-979-7473