[net.audio] Cassette Deck inquiry

rajiv@ur-helheim.UUCP (Rajiv Arora) (06/18/86)

Hi,

        After much waiting and saving, I'm finally  ready  to buy
myself  a  decent cassette deck. Now, I seem to remember  someone
not too long ago asking for recommendations  about  decks  in the
$250-300  range  (which  is  my budget), so if that someone has a
summary of responses that he/she could e-mail me, I'd  be  grate-
ful.  In  any  event, let me solicit your advice:

        I own a CD-only system and I want to get a  good  quality
deck   to   record borrowed CD's. Naturally, my first thought was
towards the   venerable Nakamichis, but there are some  problems.
The only one in  my price  range,  the  BX-125 (or is it 100? - I
forget), is a basic 2-head machine. While I don't give a damn for
bells  and   whistles in my equipment, I WOULD like a 3-head deck
with adjustable bias, to be able to  try  out  formulations  with
non-standard  bias  like the TDK HX-S. Now, here are my questions
and feel free to give me your subjective opinions,  specially  if
they're based  on  experience:

(1) How important do you consider 3 heads  and   adjustable  bias
for my intended application?

(2) In your opinion,  do  you  feel  that  the  advantages gained
by buying QUALITY (i.e.NAK) offsets the sacrifice of the features
mentioned above?

(3) Any specific recommendations?

I'd really appreciate any help in this matter.
--
						       Rajiv Arora
Address:

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (06/19/86)

In article <709@ur-helheim.UUCP> rajiv@ur-helheim.UUCP (Rajiv Arora) writes:

>Hi,
>
>        After much waiting and saving, I'm finally  ready  to buy
>myself  a  decent cassette deck....
>        I own a CD-only system and I want to get a  good  quality
>deck   to   record borrowed CD's.

No specific deck rcommendations, but you may want to look for a DBX cassette
deck because the DBX system allows you to record almost 80 DB of sound with
very good signal to noise ratio.  For those of you who are not familiar with
DBX, the process logrithmically (sp?) compresses the signal during recording
and decompresses it during play back.  Since the compressed signal has very
little dynamic range it can be recorded at a fairly high level, and thus the
signal to noise ratio is very good.

The Wumpus        UUCP:  {seismo,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET:aptrccss@uorvm

PS: Check out the Stereo Shop locally (Rochester) for good prices on
equipment.

paisley@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Scott Paisley) (06/25/86)

> In article <709@ur-helheim.UUCP> rajiv@ur-helheim.UUCP (Rajiv Arora) writes:
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >        After much waiting and saving, I'm finally  ready  to buy
> >myself  a  decent cassette deck....
> >        I own a CD-only system and I want to get a  good  quality
> >deck   to   record borrowed CD's.
>
> No specific deck rcommendations, but you may want to look for a DBX cassette
> deck because the DBX system allows you to record almost 80 DB of sound with
> very good signal to noise ratio.  For those of you who are not familiar with
> DBX, the process logrithmically (sp?) compresses the signal during recording
> and decompresses it during play back.  Since the compressed signal has very
> little dynamic range it can be recorded at a fairly high level, and thus the
> signal to noise ratio is very good.

I agree very much.  I have a Nak BX-1 (which is now the BX-100) and
with that I have a DBX-40 encoder/decoder.  This is the same DBX unit
that is offered from DAK for $59.00.  I ordered from them and
received it about a week later!  My college library also uses the Nak
BX-1 and they have been over worked/used and still have not failed
once.  For the money the BX-100 is your best bet, and you can kick up
to about 90db with the dbx box.  As for only having two heads, I
really can't see justification for the 3rd head for an adverage home
system.  If you decide to get a deck with dbx already built in, DO
NOT get a Techniques deck.  I have had one, (it failed after 2
years and 1 day) and several of my friends have HAD them, and they
too died.  Good luck on your quest!

Scott Paisley