[net.audio] Stealth audio system

laa8399@ritcv.UUCP (Lindon A. Archer) (06/21/86)

I need help from fellow netters,

I live in the New York City area, so I am very concerned about car
stereo theft.  I want to by an Alpine stereo system for my car, but I don't
want to buy it for a thief's enjoyment.  I have heard about
something called a stealth system for your car stereo.  The premise is
that your expensive equipment is hidden from view, while the stock radio
is visible( to discourage thieves).  Does any one have any idea about how to
go about installing such a system?  Are there any places in the Metro-New
York area that perform such installations?

                         Thank you,
                               Lindon Archer

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (06/26/86)

In article <9810@ritcv.UUCP> laa8399@ritcv.UUCP (Lindon Archer) writes:

>I need help from fellow netters,
>
>I live in the New York City area, so I am very concerned about car
>stereo theft.  I want to by an Alpine stereo system for my car, but I don't
>want to buy it for a thief's enjoyment.  I have heard about
>something called a stealth system for your car stereo.  The premise is
>that your expensive equipment is hidden from view, while the stock radio
>is visible( to discourage thieves).  Does any one have any idea about how to
>go about installing such a system?  Are there any places in the Metro-New
>York area that perform such installations?
>
>                         Thank you,
>                               Lindon Archer

Well, it would depend greatly on the car you have.  One of the ideas I toyed
around with when I upgraded the radio in my car was to put the radio on a
sliding/removalable mount and place it under the dash, out of sight of those
who don't know what to look for.  Using a removable bracket would have also
allowed me to remove the radio and take it with me in "high crime" places.
The brakets are available at most Radio Shack stores.  I would also suggest
buying some sort of  security system for the car.

Of course you could always do what I did which was to install the radio in
the dash (replacing a '67 Motarolla that was installed in'67) and leaving
the body work on my car undone. (Given the choice between comfort and
beauty, comfort wins.)  With the apparent condition of my car from the
outside, I doubt that anyone would even look for am expensive stereo in it.

The Wumpus        UUCP:   {seismo,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

Disclaimer: "Who? When? Me? It was the Booze!"
                                           - M. Binkley

jwl@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (James Wilbur Lewis) (06/26/86)

In article <461@ur-tut.UUCP> aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) writes:
>In article <9810@ritcv.UUCP> laa8399@ritcv.UUCP (Lindon Archer) writes:
>>
>>I need help from fellow netters,
>>
>>I live in the New York City area, so I am very concerned about car
>>stereo theft.  I want to by an Alpine stereo system for my car, but I don't
>>want to buy it for a thief's enjoyment.  I have heard about
>>something called a stealth system for your car stereo.  The premise is
>>that your expensive equipment is hidden from view, while the stock radio
>>is visible( to discourage thieves).  Does any one have any idea about how to
>>go about installing such a system?  Are there any places in the Metro-New
>>York area that perform such installations?
>>
>>                         Thank you,
>>                               Lindon Archer
>
>[.....]
>
>Of course you could always do what I did which was to install the radio in
>the dash (replacing a '67 Motarolla that was installed in'67) and leaving
>the body work on my car undone. (Given the choice between comfort and
>beauty, comfort wins.)  With the apparent condition of my car from the
>outside, I doubt that anyone would even look for am expensive stereo in it.
>
>The Wumpus        UUCP:   {seismo,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
>                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvmA

Don't count on it.  I own an incredibly battered '73 Dodge Dart, affectionately
known as 'The Ugly Brown Dodge'.  In the past 3 years I have had two stereo
systems stolen.  And neither was in what you'd call a high-crime area....one
was stolen while my car was parked in a student lot at Penn State;  the other
got snarfed barely 30 feet from my apartment in North Oakland (one of the
better parts of town).  :-( :-( :-(   I still haven't replaced it; when I
do, you can bet I'm going to take it out of the car when I'm not using it!

Oh yeah, I also found out the hard way that most car insurance policies
specifically exclude car stereos from theft coverage.  Grrrrr!

-- Jim Lewis
   UC Berkeley

ken@njitcccc.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (06/27/86)

In article <9810@ritcv.UUCP>, laa8399@ritcv.UUCP (Lindon A. Archer) writes:
> I need help from fellow netters,
> I live in the New York City area, so I am very concerned about car
> stereo theft.  I want to by an Alpine stereo system for my car, but I don't
> want to buy it for a thief's enjoyment.  I have heard about
> something called a stealth system for your car stereo.  The premise is
> that your expensive equipment is hidden from view, while the stock radio
> is visible( to discourage thieves).  Does any one have any idea about how to
> go about installing such a system?  Are there any places in the Metro-New
> York area that perform such installations?
Back during the CB craze my father installed a big ugly mounting
backet on the top of the dash with dummy power and antenna plugs
coming out of the defroster.  The real radio was mounted very
low in the car.  The thought was that most people would see the
bracket immediately and assume the radio was removed.

--
Kenneth Ng:
Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102

Vulcan jealousy: "I fail to see the logic in prefering Stonn over me"

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (06/27/86)

>I need help from fellow netters,
>
>I live in the New York City area, so I am very concerned about car
>stereo theft.  I want to by an Alpine stereo system for my car, but I don't
>want to buy it for a thief's enjoyment.  I have heard about
>something called a stealth system for your car stereo.  The premise is
>that your expensive equipment is hidden from view, while the stock radio
>is visible( to discourage thieves).  Does any one have any idea about how to
>go about installing such a system?  Are there any places in the Metro-New
>York area that perform such installations?
>
>                         Thank you,
>                               Lindon Archer

I've seen two solutions to this problem.  The first is a simple device
designed to fit over the exposed section of your high-quality car stereo
when you're not using it.  This device looks like a cheap AM radio, and you
of course have your high-quality speakers either hidden or behind the
grilles that your car came with.  I don't know if this is enough to fool
a New York City Car Stereo Thief (I had a Pioneer Supertuner ripped out of
my old Toyota in Manhattan several years ago, but it wasn't camoflaged),
but its certainly better than leaving the $800 Alpine unit exposed.

The other solution sounds a bit like your "stealth" device.  I know that
Sony makes a CD version of this, I'm not sure who else does.  Essentially,
the entire stereo system is mounted in your trunk or in some other safe
place.  At least in the case of the Sony unit, the main reason may be more
size than security, but the effect is that you're probably not going to
have the unit stolen unless they steal your whole car.  The controls for
the unit are in a small remote box which you could probably have put in
your glove box or maybe even mounted with a quick-disconnect style cable
somewhere on your dash (hidden from outside view).  I think that many
of the dealers, at least in NJ, will install the unit if you buy it from
them -- probably not Crazy Eddie, but certainly one of the more full-service
audio dealers.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

   A quote usually goes here, but its currently being rennovated.

	These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (06/29/86)

In <462@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>The other solution sounds a bit like your "stealth" device.  I know that
>Sony makes a CD version of this, I'm not sure who else does.  Essentially,
>the entire stereo system is mounted in your trunk or in some other safe
>place.  At least in the case of the Sony unit, the main reason may be more
>size than security, but the effect is that you're probably not going to
>have the unit stolen unless they steal your whole car.

Don't get smug about hiding stuff in your trunk.  I had a collection of
irreplacable tapes (Billy Joel Live in L.I. Christmas 1978 taped off WNEW,
etc.) stolen from my trunk in the Bronx.  Didn't even have a cassette player
in the car, so I can't imagine why they went into the trunk.

Get a trunk lock protector from a locksmith and install it.  It is a metal
plate that covers the trunk lock, and has a hole just big enough to stick the
key through.  It attaches with non-removable screws.  Otherwise, any asshole
with a screwdriver can take your CD deck in about 45 seconds.

Cheers,

--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

olds@ihlpa.UUCP (Mondeville) (06/30/86)

> I live in the New York City area, so I am very concerned about car
> stereo theft.  I want to by an Alpine stereo system for my car, but I don't
> want to buy it for a thief's enjoyment.  I have heard about
> something called a stealth system for your car stereo.  The premise is
> that your expensive equipment is hidden from view, while the stock radio
> is visible( to discourage thieves).  Does any one have any idea about how to
> go about installing such a system?  Are there any places in the Metro-New
> York area that perform such installations?

	The best thing you can do is to get a Sony Bensi Box with your
 system so you can remove the radio from the car.The Bensi Box is a
 simple 2 piece unit,one box goes in the dash, and one goes around your
 radio and you simply slide the unit in and out.The only "catch" to this
 is that you have to let the store you get it from install it......they
 don't sell it as a stand alone.Depending on the car,if you have a console
 there sometimes is a space between the dash and the console,you can mount
 your radio there and remove it when you want...which is what I did.

						E.G.Mandeville
						ihnp4!ihlpa!olds

dsf@allegra.UUCP (David Fox) (06/30/86)

I park my car on the street in Manhattan every night, and the only
way to go is a removable.  I have my radio mounted in a "Benzi box",
which seems to be the generic brand for these things around here.
Don't count on hiding or disguising.  One time they broke in to steal
the change out of my coin tray! (which is built in under the dashboard.)
This was not a professional job, however.  I've only lost one window
and one headlight in nine months, so I figure I'm way ahead, with
parking spaces going for $150 - $250 per month.

David Fox

jvz@cci632.UUCP (07/03/86)

>Oh yeah, I also found out the hard way that most car insurance policies
>specifically exclude car stereos from theft coverage.  Grrrrr!

Not if there mounted right in the dash.

Some sick people put razor blades on the back of there stereos, then just
clean up alot of blood after a theft attempt. This can lead to a big lawsuit
if the thief is stupid enough to sue. Or he may want to kill the idiot who
cut off his fingers.

I prefer high explosives. Just wire in some dynamite so if the stereo is
is tampered with the car blows up.

lsm@aluxp.UUCP (larry m. ) (07/04/86)

> I park my car on the street in Manhattan every night, and the only
> way to go is a removable.

  I used to live in Manhattan every night, and the only
  way to go is out.

                                                larry m.
                                                att allentown pa
                                                {whatever}!aluxp!lsm

  " We specialize in foreign and domestic auto repairs "

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (07/07/86)

>>The other solution sounds a bit like your "stealth" device.  I know that
>>Sony makes a CD version of this, I'm not sure who else does.  Essentially,
>>the entire stereo system is mounted in your trunk or in some other safe
>>place.  At least in the case of the Sony unit, the main reason may be more
>>size than security, but the effect is that you're probably not going to
>>have the unit stolen unless they steal your whole car.
>
> Don't get smug about hiding stuff in your trunk.  I had a collection of
> irreplacable tapes (Billy Joel Live in L.I. Christmas 1978 taped off WNEW,
> etc.) stolen from my trunk in the Bronx.  Didn't even have a cassette player
> in the car, so I can't imagine why they went into the trunk.

Sure they can get into the trunk with a screwdriver or a crowbar.  But if
you park in an area with lots of other cars and in generally intelligent
places (at least as much as possible), the car stereo thief will probably
go for the car next to yours if he can't seen anything in your car.  He
could probably steal the whole car in about as much time as it takes him
to open the door and swipe the stereo or open the trunk, but if he's after
the stereo and not looking to attract too much attention, the hidden
stereo will work better than one out in the open.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (07/10/86)

In article <183@cci632.UUCP>, jvz@cci632.UUCP writes:

> I prefer high explosives. Just wire in some dynamite so if the stereo is
> is tampered with the car blows up.
If your going that far put a thermite charge inside the stereo
that goes off if the power is removed for more than half an hour.
In that way your car is spared.  Be sure, of course, to rewire
the stereo so that it is always powered however.

--
Kenneth Ng:
Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp(for a while) ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken
soon uucp:ken@argus.cccc.njit.edu
bitnet(prefered) ken@njitcccc.bitnet
soon bitnet: ken@orion.cccc.njit.edu
(We are VERY slowly moving to RFC 920, kicking and screaming)

Romulan: "Permit me the glory of the kill"

In this discussion, we've been treated to a lot of words on how to convert
your radio into a terrorist device against thieves, but basically nothing at
all about the "stealth" device originally asked about.  Can we safely assume
that no such thing really exists?

C. Wingate

mikel@codas.ATT.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (07/22/86)

> I prefer high explosives. Just wire in some dynamite so if the stereo is
> is tampered with the car blows up.

I'd rather have a car without a stereo than a dead car.
--
			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
			...{seismo!akgua|ihnp4|cbosgd|mcnc}!codas!mikel