[net.audio] Dak incorporated BSR speakers offer-is it a scam?

uppal@rsch.wisc.edu (Sanjay Uppal) (07/25/86)

I came across an advertisement in the July issue of Stereo Review
offering these incredibly low-priced speakers made by BSR. The offer
was made by Dak incorporated. I have been considering buying a second
pair of low cost speakers, and the price quoted seems great.

Has anybody heard of BSR, and/or had any dealing with this sort
of offer? I recollect seeing quite a few Dak incorp. ads in past
issues of Stereo Review- but I have never really tried them out.

Sanjay Uppal(uppal@rsch.wisc.edu).

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (07/26/86)

In article <2409@rsch.wisc.edu> uppal@rsch.wisc.edu (Sanjay Uppal) writes:
>Has anybody heard of BSR, and/or had any dealing with this sort
>of offer? I recollect seeing quite a few Dak incorp. ads in past
>issues of Stereo Review- but I have never really tried them out.

I have ordered several things from DAK including a BSR 10 band
equalizer. DAK seems to be a very reputable firm that deals in
closeouts or limited productions of good audio equipment.  I have been
very happy with the stuff I have gotten from DAK including the
equalizer.

BSR is an esablished name in electronics.  One of the most interesting
things that they introduced was the wireless remote controls for
lights and appliances that sold many through Sears.  They have also
made a fair number of audio add-ons including (mostly) equalizers.
You can not currently find very much selling under the label BSR
because it has recently changed its audio line to ADC (or is it the
other way around).  Anyways, if you go to a good audio store and ask
about BSR or ADC they should be able to tell you more.  In my opinion
I would say that it is worth getting atleast a catalog from DAK
because the sell good audio equipment at very low prices.  Of course
you might have to settle for last year's styles, but which is more
important, good sound, or good looks?
--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {seismo,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

Disclaimer: "Who? When? Me? It was the Booze!"  - M. Binkley

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (07/27/86)

In article <2409@rsch.wisc.edu> uppal@rsch.wisc.edu (Sanjay Uppal) writes:
:Has anybody heard of BSR, and/or had any dealing with this sort

I got the 15 inch BSR subwoofer a few weeks ago.  As reported earlier, the
unit went sour while driven by a Sony STR-VX250 receiver ($135, 20w/ch), but
I think that failure is a fluke (bad glue on the voice coil or something).

Before taking the unit in for warranty repair, I did look inside.  No, you're
not gettong $400 worth of speaker for $100.  The crossover network consists of
one NP electrolytic and one ferrite core choke per channel.  The woofer has
two separate voice coils, so you don't have to worry about funny grounding
systems on amps.

Assuming the 15 inch subwoofer can take as much power from the little Sony
as the 6 inchers have taken for a year or two, I'll be happy.  It did sound
OK in the computer room before it blew.  Not in the same league as a pair
of ten year old 12 inch Infinity's or AR-3's, but not as expensive.

Based on this example, and assuming the replacement woofer bahaves properly,
I would not hesitate to consider BSR for price sensitive applications.

The catalog that came with the woofer includes a $249 remote controlled DBX
equalizer which I'll probabaly order soon.  I have an equalizer already, but
I can't adjust it very accurately because the system sounds different from
the listening position. (I use the EQ for problem recordings, and use the
mike and RTA to adjust the speaker locations, driver balance controls, and
the treble control on the main preamp without using the EQ.  Sort of backwards
from the usual application, but it's easier to remember the normal setting
of two treble controls than the settings of 20 sliders).

stevens@cascade.UUCP (07/27/86)

>In article <2409@rsch.wisc.edu> uppal@rsch.wisc.edu (Sanjay Uppal) writes:
>Has anybody heard of BSR, and/or had any dealing with this sort
>of offer? I recollect seeing quite a few Dak incorp. ads in past
>issues of Stereo Review- but I have never really tried them out.

In my opinion most, of what DAK sells and pretty much all BSR/ADC products
are JUNK. I myself have never owned any BSR equipment but have seen enough
of the stuff and shared some unpleasant experiences with  many of my friends.

Even at the prices that DAK offers, I feel much better values can be had with
other equipment. As the man said, "There ain't such thing as a free lunch".
Come on, what kind of manufacturer would market speakers as "Thunder
Lizards" - not any that I'd want to deal with.

--Greg Stevens - CSL, Stanford University

andy@mitisft.UUCP (07/31/86)

In article <2409@rsch.wisc.edu>, uppal@rsch.wisc.edu (Sanjay Uppal) writes:
> I came across an advertisement in the July issue of Stereo Review
> offering these incredibly low-priced speakers made by BSR. The offer
> was made by Dak incorporated. I have been considering buying a second
> pair of low cost speakers, and the price quoted seems great.
>
> Has anybody heard of BSR, and/or had any dealing with this sort
> of offer? I recollect seeing quite a few Dak incorp. ads in past
> issues of Stereo Review- but I have never really tried them out.
>
> Sanjay Uppal(uppal@rsch.wisc.edu).

I purchase a pair of BSR speakers from the DAK catalogue.  They were
advertised as being really fantastic and sounding great.  They were neither,
but they were *amazingly* cheap.  I don't use them anymore (my roommate
has a pair or 5' high Infinity speakers), but I would recommend that if the
ad lists the dimentions of the speakers in question (BSR makes many models),
that you look at a piece of paper or something that size so you know
exactly how big they're going to be.  Mine were considerably smaller than
I had expected.  The way that DAK does it for so cheaply, I understand,
is that they buy the obsolete speakers from BSR for next to nothing,
and package them in the enclosures themselves using BSR grilles and
crossovers.  About the best way to describe them is low-priced.  You
get what you pay for, at least in this case.

Andy Sharp
hplabs!pyramid!ctnews!dv2!mitisft!andy