[net.audio] Polk speakers? opinions wanted

tlh@ptsfb.UUCP (08/15/86)

In some article K.Delbarre writes:
>Does anybody have an opinion on the Polk SDA CRS
>(aka SDA Compact)?

I don't have the compacts; however, I *do* have a pair of Polk SDA II's..
and I think they are fantastic.  I would be very interested in summarizing
the opinions of net readers on ALL models of Polk speakers, just email me
your thoughts.

--

Lee Hounshell  -  Pacific Bell
415/823-2432      {ihnp4,dual,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!ptsfb!tlh

"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because
some watery tart threw a sword at you."

jsm@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (Jonathan Meltzer) (08/18/86)

In article <674@ptsfb.UUCP> tlh@ptsfb.UUCP (Lee Hounshell) writes:
>In some article K.Delbarre writes:
>>Does anybody have an opinion on the Polk SDA CRS
>>(aka SDA Compact)?
>
>I don't have the compacts; however, I *do* have a pair of Polk SDA II's..
>and I think they are fantastic.  I would be very interested in summarizing
>the opinions of net readers on ALL models of Polk speakers, just email me
>your thoughts.
>
>--

Me too!
I heard some Polks a couple of years ago - sounded great ...
If my Avid 103s ever die, I'd like to know what to replace them with ...

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (08/21/86)

In article <82@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu> jsm@vax1.UUCP (Jonathan Meltzer) writes:
>In article <674@ptsfb.UUCP> tlh@ptsfb.UUCP (Lee Hounshell) writes:
>>In some article K.Delbarre writes:
>>>Does anybody have an opinion on the Polk SDA CRS
>>>(aka SDA Compact)?
>>
>>I don't have the compacts; however, I *do* have a pair of Polk SDA II's..
>>and I think they are fantastic.  I would be very interested in summarizing
>>the opinions of net readers on ALL models of Polk speakers, just email me
>>your thoughts.
>>
>>--
>>
>Me too!
>I heard some Polks a couple of years ago - sounded great ...
>If my Avid 103s ever die, I'd like to know what to replace them with ...

	My early stage of speaker searching included audition the Polk SDA's,
1, 2 and SRS. At the time I was impressed with the soundstage IF YOU STOOD IN
BETWEEN THE SPEAKERS, IN THE OPTIMAL SPOT. However, the weird cancelling
configuration cause a steep drop as you move to one side or the other. I found
the total effect disturbing because I didn't want to be tied to sitting in one
place to listen and this strange dispersion pattern made the speakers
unlistenable when I was off-center. (If you want to listen to another wierd
dispersion pattern, audition the dbx Soundfield's (1, 10). Interesting but
unsettling. An effect that would wear on me.)
	Other aspects of the Polk SDA's I found to be competent but
unremarkable. The clarity and smoothness of the speakers were adequate but not
excellent - perhaps top 30 in their price class, but not top 10.
	These speakers are not cheap, $1200-2700. I found that a number of
planar speakers (Apogee, Magnepan, Acoustat, Martin-Logan) outclassed the Polk
in every respect. They are physically large to very large (the SRS are
ridiculous, about 21"x64"x13", 175 lbs), yet the bass extension was not
impressive, though perhaps adequate. The SDA's do not use large woofers, but
many small drivers and a passive bass radiator.
	A number of friends have lower end Polks and they seem happy with them
combined with other mid-fi equipment.