[net.audio] Yamaha R-7

tigger@homxc.UUCP (K.VENNER) (08/15/86)

I am looking to buy a new receiver and speakers.  I have presently
been looking at the Yamaha R-7.  Does anyone have any experience
with this receiver?  I was looking for 50+ watts of power, digital
tuning with presets, and remot controll.  Any other receivers
recommended would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Ken Venner
AT&T Bell Labs
WB 1J-306
870-7182
homxc!tigger

jerryc@tekigm2.UUCP (Jerry Carathers) (08/20/86)

In article <1618@homxc.UUCP>, tigger@homxc.UUCP (K.VENNER) writes:
> I am looking to buy a new receiver and speakers.  I have presently
> been looking at the Yamaha R-7.  Does anyone have any experience
> with this receiver?  I was looking for 50+ watts of power, digital
> tuning with presets, and remot controll.  Any other receivers
> recommended would be greatly appreciated

Look at the JVC RX-500B. It has 100 w/ch, digital tuner with 30
presets (15 AM and 15 FM), remote control and 6-band programmable
equalizer.

It's simply the most phenominal receiver I've ever seen and mine has
served me happily for a year and half. They're currently being closed
out at the local retailer in leu of a "new for '87" model not yet
released. Latest price I saw was $460.

When it was released, Audio magazine raved about all aspects of it
including superb FM sensitivity, higher than rated watts per ch, and
exceptionally clean amplifier.

                            Hope you can find it!

			    Jerry Carathers
			    Tektronix, inc.
			    ...tektronix!tekigm2!jerryc

erez@rsch.wisc.edu (Erez Levav) (08/24/86)

In article <917@tekigm2.UUCP>, jerryc@tekigm2.UUCP (Jerry Carathers) writes:
> In article <1618@homxc.UUCP>, tigger@homxc.UUCP (K.VENNER) writes:
> > I am looking to buy a new receiver and speakers.
>
> Look at the JVC RX-500B. It has 100 w/ch, digital tuner with 30
> presets (15 AM and 15 FM), remote control and 6-band programmable
> equalizer.
>
> released. Latest price I saw was $460.
>
> 			    Jerry Carathers

Maybe I count wrong, but I have a RX-500B, with 16/16 presets and 7 band eq
I paid $350 in a local store, and I the lowest price I saw was ~$300 in mail
order (maybe it was 2 months ago in SR?).  I saw a picture of the new remote
that JVC supplies with the new line replacing the RX-?00's, I like the one I
have much better... (it controls only the receiver, but it has almost all the
functions on the remote).  About half a year ago I posted my impressions from
the RX-500B, if you want I can send you an e-mail copy.

Another receiver I think is worth looking into is the Marantz SR-940.  Very
similar specs and the lowest price i saw was $299.

#include <any/disclaimer>                        ~~~
                                                {> <}
Erez Levav                                     __ ^ __
University of Wisconsin                       /       \
                                              |  />
ARPA:     erez@rsch.wisc.edu                   \/
BITNET:   erez%rsch.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
UUCP:     {allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo,topaz}!uwvax!erez

berry@solaria..ARPA@mordor.ARPA (Berry Kercheval) (08/26/86)

In article <917@tekigm2.UUCP> jerryc@tekigm2.UUCP (Jerry Carathers) writes:
>In article <1618@homxc.UUCP>, tigger@homxc.UUCP (K.VENNER) writes:
>> I am looking to buy a new receiver and speakers.  [...]
>
>Look at the JVC RX-500B. It has 100 w/ch, digital tuner with 30
>presets (15 AM and 15 FM), remote control and 6-band programmable
>equalizer.
>
>It's simply the most phenominal receiver I've ever seen

I have a very similar JVC receiver -- the RX-740 I think it's called.
I am VERY happy with it.  I got for about $180 it at the Pacific
Stereo liquidation sale after they filed Chapter 11.  The only
problem is that it was their demo unit and came "as-is" -- no manual,
no box, no warranty card, just the receiver.  I helped the salesman
yank it out of the demo room.  Now if only I could figure out how that
*%@# programmable equalizer works....

  --berry