[net.audio] Amp designs

sarees@watlion.UUCP (Steve Rees) (08/07/86)

Can anybody point me toward references (schematics, articles, etc) about
GOOD quality, low- to medium-power Class-A or current-dumping amplifiers?

The more specific the reference the better, but even general leads would
help.

Thanks,

Steve Rees
University of Waterloo

ins_adyc@jhunix.UUCP (Donald Y Chen) (08/13/86)

> Can anybody point me toward references (schematics, articles, etc) about
> GOOD quality, low- to medium-power Class-A or current-dumping amplifiers?
>
> The more specific the reference the better, but even general leads would
> help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Rees
> University of Waterloo

Steve,

I can give some idea who makes these Amps.  For a mere $8000+ Mark-Levinson
makes the awesome 25W ML-2A.  These are dual mono which is reflected in their
high price.  British Fidelity makes some amps.  The top of the line is the
175wpc $3500 model supposely a bargain.  I suggest you get two.

In the current-dumping arena I only know the Quad 405 and its two
successors.  I don't know the price but it's less than $1000.

I hope this information (limited) has been helpful.

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (08/15/86)

With reference the the original articles below,
what is a "current-dumping" amplifier?

shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Thomas Krueger) (08/18/86)

> With reference the the original articles below,
> what is a "current-dumping" amplifier?

Assume you have a 100W (rms) amplifier. If it is 100V at 1A, this is not a
current dumper. If it is 10V at 10A this amp would be a current dumper,
useful for driving speakers with very low impedances. (An example is the
Acoustats with the older matching transformers).

					- Tom
--
Thomas Krueger				...ihnp4!uwmcsd1!shop	or
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee	uwmcsd1!shop@rsch.wisc.EDU

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (08/20/86)

> > what is a "current-dumping" amplifier?
>
> Assume you have a 100W (rms) amplifier. If it is 100V at 1A, this is not a
> current dumper. If it is 10V at 10A this amp would be a current dumper,
> useful for driving speakers with very low impedances. (An example is the
> Acoustats with the older matching transformers).

Am I correct, then, in concluding that the label "current-dumping" has
nothing to do with the design of the amplifier (since merely putting
a transformer on the output would change the effective output impedance
from 100 ohms to 1 ohm, to use the above example)?

shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Thomas Krueger) (08/22/86)

> > > what is a "current-dumping" amplifier?
> >
> > Assume you have a 100W (rms) amplifier. If it is 100V at 1A, this is not a
> > current dumper. If it is 10V at 10A this amp would be a current dumper,
> > useful for driving speakers with very low impedances. (An example is the
> > Acoustats with the older matching transformers).
> >
> Am I correct, then, in concluding that the label "current-dumping" has
> nothing to do with the design of the amplifier (since merely putting
> a transformer on the output would change the effective output impedance
> from 100 ohms to 1 ohm, to use the above example)?

Partially... in a solid-state amplifier, transformers are avoided because
of the phase shifts and high frequency ringing involved are difficult to
compensate for. Therefore, current dumping is not only a function of the
output impedance but also of the power supply current capacity. If the
power supply is capable of putting 2A into the load, no matter what, the
voltage swing on the output would clip as drive to the output stage
increased (along with the output stage melting down). If the amp is
designed with high current output design with a low ouptut impedance
(Accoustat amps come to mind) with a power supply stiff enough (like a lot
of supply capacitance and a large power transformer) the amp will be able
to 'dump' current without self destructing.

As an aside, anyone ever think of desgning large complimentary solid state
amplifiers with no power transformer for 120VAC?

						- Tom
--
Thomas Krueger				...ihnp4!uwmcsd1!shop	or
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee	shop@csd1.milw.wisc.edu

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (08/23/86)

> Therefore, current dumping is not only a function of the
> output impedance but also of the power supply current capacity.

My understanding is that "current dumping" is a trademark of the
Acoustical Manufacturing Company in Huntington, England, and refers
to a particular circuit configuration they use in their power
amplifiers (QUAD 403).

The idea is that the output of the amplifier is the difference of the outputs
of two separate parts.  One, called the current dumper, has a lot of
power capacity but only mediocre linearity.  The difference between the
output of the current dumper (divided by a constant) and the input is
then amplified by a smaller amplifier on which considerable care is taken
to minimize distortion.  This is easier to do here because this
amplifier is smaller.

Its proponents claim that this is a way to get a lot of power with
very low distortion and only a little more design effort than would
be necessary for a much smaller amplifier.

I am not qualified to evaluate this claim.

> As an aside, anyone ever think of desgning large complimentary solid state
> amplifiers with no power transformer for 120VAC?

I think it would be an incredible safety hazard.

phil@saber.UUCP (Phil Gustafson) (08/23/86)

> As an aside, anyone ever think of desgning large complimentary solid state
> amplifiers with no power transformer for 120VAC?
>
> Thomas Krueger				...ihnp4!uwmcsd1!shop	or

Yes.  They usually stop thinking about it when they consider that the
speaker wires for such an amplifier would pose a lethal shock hazard.

	phil

All opinions except attributed quotations are mine alone.
Satirical comments may not be specifically identified as such.
--
Phil Gustafson			Voice:	(408)435-8600
Saber Technology Corp.

GOT@PSUVMA.BITNET (08/24/86)

>As an aside, anyone ever think of desgning large complimentary solid state
>amplifiers with no power transformer for 120VAC?

Yes, I even think there may be a few being marketed.  Its really not a
great idea though, because you get no isolation from the power lines.
All the noise, spikes, and dropouts will come right through, unless you
use a hefty isolation transformer.
-------
Sunil Gupta        | Bitnet: got@psuecl
  P enn            |         got@psuelc2
  S tate           |
  U niversity      | UUCP  : ihnp4!psuvax1![psuecl, psuecl2]!got
  E ngineering     |       : ihnp4!psuvax1!psuvma.bitnet!got
  C omputer        |
  L ab             | ARPA  : got%psuecl.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa

        "I dares ya to step across this line!  _______"  -  Bugs

kchen@imagen.UUCP (Kok Chen) (08/26/86)

>> ark@alice writes:
>
> My understanding is that "current dumping" is a trademark of the
> ... amplifiers (QUAD 403).

Right on!  This is the first proper description of "current dumping (TM)" that
has appeared so far.  In fact, what <ark> has described is the way Quad does
FEED-FORWARD.  The error signal from the cheapo high-current section is fed
to a lower power section to cancel at the speakers (instead of feeding the
error signal BACK to the input of the high-current amplifier).  I, for one,
would be interested in hearing more on feed-forward power amp topologies.

One idea that I kicked around has been to difference the main and feed-
forward paths by feeding the output of the main driver to one speaker wire,
and the output of the error-signal amplifier to the second speaker wire (like
a diff amp).  Two possible flaws in this: 1) won't work with electrostatics
that require single ended inputs, and 2) the finiteness of the first driver's
output impedance will introduce some positive feedback to the second driver.
Another idea: the feed-forward signal (the input to the second amp) can come
from an auxiliary cable that goes straight to the speaker terminals (like in
remote-sensing power supplies), instead of to the output of the first driver.
I haven't tried out any of these ideas yet, except on paper (I do have a
spare DH-120 that I don't mind modifying and blowing up, though, if I ever
find time :-).  Anyone see major flaws in the logic?

Kok Chen
Imagen Corporation	(we don't manufacture amplifiers; in fact, we don't
			 even do anything remotely analog!)

dh@vax135.UUCP (David N. Horn) (08/29/86)

As far as I recall, the "Current Dumping Amplifier" was a name given to an
interesting design of amplifier introduced by Quad (name of a Hi Fi manufacturer
in England headed by Peter Walker) about ten years ago.
It had two amplifiers for each channel, one high power but slow amplifier to
do most of the work, and one low power but fast. A comparator sensed the
difference between the input signal and the output divided by the gain (i.e.
the distortion), and the fast amplifier made up the difference.
The technique was also known as "feed-forward".
A number of articles on current dumping were published in "Wireless World".
By the way, Peter Walker has a very good reputation for producing top quality
products way ahead of their time.

	Dave Horn, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel, vax135!dh

newton2@topaz.berkeley.edu (08/29/86)

I will endorse Dave Horn's comment that Peter Walker of the Acoustic Manufact-
uring Co. (Quad) has an excellent reputation (is his name Walker? All I remember
is the company). During a period of more-than-usually obsequious sycophancy,
I asked Ray Dolby if there was anyone in the audio world whose commercial
style he admired in the same way that I found *his* approach admirable.

Without hesitation he mentioned Peter Walker[?] (we had already agreed on
Henry Kloss), but couldn't seem to think of anyone else (like Ike when asked
to list a single achievement of Richard Nixon as Veep, I'm sure if I'd given him
a week he'd have thought of one.)

As to why I found (still find) Ray Dolby a bird so rare in the commercial
audio aviary, if you have to ask...

			...I guess I'll have to expatiate, later.

Doug Maisel
(415) 848-5247

56 Panoramic Way
Berkeley, CA 94704

szepesi@fluke.UUCP (Les Szepesi) (08/29/86)

> [...]
> One idea that I kicked around has been to difference the main and feed-
> forward paths by feeding the output of the main driver to one speaker wire,
> and the output of the error-signal amplifier to the second speaker wire (like
> a diff amp). [...]
>

> Kok Chen
> Imagen Corporation	(we don't manufacture amplifiers; in fact, we don't
> 			 even do anything remotely analog!)

The biggest problem I see with this is that all the current coming from the
output of the "main driver" must also pass throught the output of the "error-
signal amplifier". (KCL) This now implies an error amplifier with very good
linearity, THD, etc that also can source and sink large currents. The whole
point of the original topology was "To build a low power, quality amp is
cheaper and easier than to build a high power, quality amp."

Les Szepesi
--
Les Szepesi		decvax\
John Fluke Mfg Co.	ihnp4  >!uw-beaver\