[net.audio] Why isn't there any Cable-Radio?

ahs@mtx5a.UUCP (Art Stadlin) (09/19/86)

> From: amsler@mouton.bellcore.com (Robert Amsler)
>
> It occurs to me that the same arguments that have applied to TV
> could be applied to radio. Poor reception, lack of good stations in the
> local area. So... why don't we see cable-radio?

I agree with the need.  My cable company provides SOME FM stations
from two major cities nearby.  But I have to use an outdoor antenna
to get the really GOOD stations that are not on cable.

Also, what about AM radio?  Why can't the cable company translate
some good AM stations onto cable FM?  If you have ever tried
listening to AM radio in the house with light dimmers on, BSR
control units going, and a TV on, you know that it blocks out
all but the closest stations.

Today AM radio has to struggle to compete with FM.  That means that
they are trying new ideas, new formats, and just being different.
If I want to hear Lionel Richie ten times, I put on FM.  If I want
to hear something interesting, I put on AM.  What about you?
--
  \\\
   \\\\                                      Art Stadlin

ags@h.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (09/20/86)

In article <1559@mtx5a.UUCP> ahs@mtx5a.UUCP (Art Stadlin) writes:
>Also, what about AM radio?  Why can't the cable company translate
>some good AM stations onto cable FM?

It has been done at least once.  Purdue University's AM radio station
WBAA (an NPR affiliate) is also available on cable FM.
--
Dave Seaman
ags@h.cc.purdue.edu

phil@sivax.UUCP (09/24/86)

Hello,

   We have cable-radio,   an FM station here is named KABL, hence they are
KABL radio (ha ha ha)..

   Seriously, our cable company has lots of cable radio.  We have TWO cables
coming into our homes, called A and B, each with 30 TV channels on them.  On
the 'A' cable, there is also about 40 FM stations, mostly locals, but some
distant, as well as MTV etc,  On the 'B' cable, there is 'Soundaround'
simulcasts of the 2-13 'A' and 'B' TV channels in MONO.  Yes, this means you
actually need an A/B switch for your FM tuner!!!

   BTW, our cable company also puts HBO/TMC/Cinemax/ETC and their pay per view
channels out in TV MTS stereo.  They don't do that to MTV, which I cannot
understand.

phil Hunt_P