[net.audio] Advice sought: receiver + speakers combination, < $1000

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (09/27/86)

After having obtained a reasonable video setup (Sony KV-25XBR monitor,
Sony SL-HF900 SuperBeta VCR, and Pioneer CLD-900 combination laser
video disk & CD player), I'm in the market to replace my antiquated
audio system.

Ideally the receiver and speakers I get should
  -  do justice to CDs,
  -  support the sound requirements of laser video disks,
  -  work well with my video components,
  -  and cost under $1000.

The APM (Accurate Piston Motion) speakers that come with my XBR are
surprisingly good for their size.  Does anyone have experience with
Sony's full-size APM speakers?

A receiver with built-in surround-sound circuitry would make it easier
to get the ambience of a theater when I play appropriately encoded
laser video disks.  However, it's hard to tell from the manufacturer
blurbs whether the receivers do the decoding, or just fake it with
ordinary stereo signals.

If I got either Sony or Pioneer receivers, I could cut down on the
number of remote controls I'd need to carry around.  The Sony STR-AV880
(110 watts/channel) and Pioneer VSX-5000 (100 watts/channel) look like
the best bets from these manufacturers.  Anybody have comments on these
beasts?

I don't mind buying by mail order, if that makes any difference in
your suggestions.
--
{hplabs,amdahl,okstate}!bnrmtv!perkins        --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.

albert@kim.Berkeley.EDU (Anthony Albert) (09/28/86)

In article <736@bnrmtv.UUCP> perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) writes:
>After having obtained a reasonable video setup (Sony KV-25XBR monitor,
>Sony SL-HF900 SuperBeta VCR, and Pioneer CLD-900 combination laser
>video disk & CD player), I'm in the market to replace my antiquated
>audio system.
>
>A receiver with built-in surround-sound circuitry would make it easier
>to get the ambience of a theater when I play appropriately encoded
>laser video disks.  However, it's hard to tell from the manufacturer
>blurbs whether the receivers do the decoding, or just fake it with
>ordinary stereo signals.
>
>If I got either Sony or Pioneer receivers, I could cut down on the
>number of remote controls I'd need to carry around.  The Sony STR-AV880
>(110 watts/channel) and Pioneer VSX-5000 (100 watts/channel) look like
>the best bets from these manufacturers.  Anybody have comments on these
>beasts?

The Sony STR-AV880 does not have Dolby licensed Surround Sound; however,
they are coming out with a new receiver, the AVU-360, as part of the Access 401
system which does have Dolby Surround Sound (there is a review of the system
in the September Video Magazine. It has no mention of Dolby Surround, but a
Sony ad in October Video Review definitely says it has Dolby Surround.)

I don't know how good the unlicensed surround sound decoders are, but I'm
sure soon there will be a good choice of receivers with built-in Dolby
Surround decoders.

				Anthony Albert
				..!ucbvax!kim!albert
				albert@kim.Berkeley.EDU