[net.audio] MPX adapter for Sony KV1311?

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) (09/25/86)

I have a Sony KV1311 TV which has a MPX output on it to hook up to a
stereo decoder. Can anyone point me to a cheap decoder to put between
my stereo and the tv?

--
The views above are those of my keyboard, not my organization.
Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee

porter@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Jeff Porter) (09/26/86)

In article <1322@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) writes:

>I have a Sony KV1311 TV which has a MPX output on it to hook up to a
>stereo decoder. Can anyone point me to a cheap decoder to put between
>my stereo and the tv?

RECOTON makes a cheap MTS decoder that will work very nicely with
your MPX jack.  I have one that I use with it's "sniffer probe"
to pick up the spurious emmisions from the IF stage of a cheap
TV.  Had got DBX and DOBLY built in as well as Synthesized stereo
for mono broadcasts.  Costs about $99.  It's amazing what kind of
frequency respeonse I can get from this baby.

Jeff Porter

kinman@utai.UUCP (Kinman Tam) (09/29/86)

In article <789@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> porter@cbmvax.UUCP (Jeff Porter) writes:
>In article <1322@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) writes:
>
>>I have a Sony KV1311 TV which has a MPX output on it to hook up to a
>>stereo decoder. Can anyone point me to a cheap decoder to put between
>>my stereo and the tv?
>
>RECOTON makes a cheap MTS decoder that will work very nicely with
>your MPX jack.  I have one that I use with it's "sniffer probe"
>to pick up the spurious emmisions from the IF stage of a cheap
>TV.  Had got DBX and DOBLY built in as well as Synthesized stereo
>for mono broadcasts.  Costs about $99.  It's amazing what kind of
>frequency respeonse I can get from this baby.
>
>Jeff Porter

I have a Recoton decoder as well and I am quite pleased with it.
However, I don't think it's cheap.  There are several cheaper decoders
floating around.  However, I have heard that the sound quality on these
is inferior to the Recoton decoder.
    I know a person who bought such a cheap decoder and to his dismay,
found that it took 15 minutes for the unit to decide that a TV signal
was in MTS!  Needless to say, he returned the decoder.
    Also, the Recoton decoder has Dynamic Noise Reduction, not Dolby NR.

--
Kinman Tam
{allegra,decvax,ihnp4,uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!kinman