[net.audio] Disney's Sleeping Beauty Video

mrlopez@trwrb.UUCP (Michael R. Lopez) (10/22/86)

Recently I bought the newly released Disney classic Sleeping Beauty.
It is in HIFI Stereo, however I have found that I get a minor, but
annoying garble in the soundtrack. I returned it and found that the
new copy had the same effect. Naturally, I experienmented by disabling
the equalizer, but the garble continued. I then tried disabling the
HIFI feature on my vcr and the garble disappeared. I also noted that
if I only use the sound from my tv that garble is not audible. Thus,
it seems that the HIFI mode seems to have a hell of a time trying
to reproduce sound. I can live with watching it without being in HIFI
mode, but it is kind of disappointing. Please send any theories or
comments to me.

P.S. Yes, other Hifi tapes sound terrific!!

Mike Lopez
TRW E&DS
One Space Park
Redondo Beach, CA. 90278

brown@nicmad.UUCP (10/23/86)

In article <1371@trwrb.UUCP> mrlopez@trwrb.UUCP (Michael R. Lopez) writes:
>Recently I bought the newly released Disney classic Sleeping Beauty.
>It is in HIFI Stereo, however I have found that I get a minor, but
>annoying garble in the soundtrack. I returned it and found that the
>new copy had the same effect. Naturally, I experienmented by disabling
>the equalizer, but the garble continued. I then tried disabling the
>HIFI feature on my vcr and the garble disappeared. I also noted that
>if I only use the sound from my tv that garble is not audible. Thus,
>it seems that the HIFI mode seems to have a hell of a time trying
>to reproduce sound. I can live with watching it without being in HIFI
>mode, but it is kind of disappointing. Please send any theories or
>comments to me.

I too rented "Sleeping Beauty" and had a HELL-OF-A-TIME getting the Hi-Fi
track to track.  On the Panasonic 9600 I normally have a wide range of
tracking before the Hi-Fi will drop out.  The range on this tape was
basically nothing.  But, another example of tracking problem is with the
tape "Down and Out In Beverly Hills".  It too is a Disney tape.  I played
it on the JVC HR-D725U and had trouble there as well.  I kept getting the
noise you get when you start tuning a FM radio station off frequency (with
mute turned off).

Here is what I has noticed.  Both tapes were Macrovision encoded and since
both tapes are Disney, they were dubed by Technicolor.  Technicolor is
giving bad service to Warner Home Video by distributing Hi-Fi stereo tapes
in three formats (VHS anyway):  Hi-Fi stereo w/ Dolby stereo, Hi-Fi mono
w/ Dolby mono and no Hi-Fi w/ Dolby stereo.  The Clint Eastwood & Burt
Reynold movie was found by me in all three configurations.  I have talked
to Warner a few days ago and they are aware of the problem and trying to
get it resolved (this has been going on for a long time).  I digress.
My guess is that Technicolor is having trouble with Macrovision encoded
tapes.

But, there is a catch to what I say.  Technicolor also dubs MGM/UA stuff.
The only problem I have had with MGM/UA is left and right channel reversal.
But, MGM/UA stuff is always duplicated using a digital audio master tape,
which requires a little different set-up.  But, the duplication machines
should be the same.  Anyway, I also rented "9 1/2 Weeks" and it was
Macrovision encoded, but it tracked as well as other tapes.

Take what you will from what I have passed on.  Other comments will help
put together a total picture.
--
		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \