[net.audio] VMPS loudspeakers

shauns@vice.UUCP (11/05/86)

In article <1299@nicmad.UUCP>, kunert@nicmad.UUCP writes:

> Has anyone actually seen (or better yet heard) any of the VMPS
> loudspeakers? This company has had a small ad in the back of
> Audio magazine for as long as I can remember, and they produce
> multi-multi driver speaker systems ranging from a few hundred
> to several thousand dollars, with most available as kits. I
> have read a few good things about them in the magazines, but
> there isn't a dealer within a thousand miles of me. I am a bit
> put off by the names of some of their speakers- "Super Tower,"
> etc., but apparently these have a good reputation with some of
> the "high end" folks.  Any opinions?

I had the opportunity about 4 years ago to visit Cheney's "headquarters"
AKA Itone Audio, which at the time was the garage of his house in El Cerrito,
Ca.. - this after auditioning a friend's Super Tower IIas.  Physically, the
speakers are impressive - sonically, their bass response is as much felt as
heard, and if you tire of them, you can always use the enclosures as clothes
closets! (the Super Tower IIas are 18" square by 6.5' tall!).   I personally
prefer the sound of other manufacturers' products to VMPS but in general they
are good performers.  I have been thinking of eventually buying a subwoofer
and would consider a VMPS product for that, but would buy another speaker for
midrange and high frequencies.

shaun simpkins