	From ljdickey@watmath.UUCP Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
	From: ljdickey@watmath.UUCP
	Newsgroups: net.math,net.lang.apl
	Subject: Matrix Inverses
	Date: Sun, 21-Aug-83 11:51:26 EDT
	Sender: ljdickey@watmath.UUCP

	always found an invertible matrix.  No singular matrices so far.

	So, I have this question:

	         Given an  N by N  matrix with integer entries
	         chosen (with replacement) from the set of
	         integers {1, 2, 3, ..., K}, what is the
	         probability, as a function of N and K, that
	         the determinant of the matrix will be zero?
	--
	    Lee Dickey                                (ljdickey@watmath)
	                   University of Waterloo

--
  Lee Dickey, University of Waterloo.  (ljdickey@watmath.UUCP)
                      ...!allegra!watmath!ljdickey

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (10/16/83)

The system is not "sloppy".  What happened is that utzoo collected all
of the news that came in for the week that watmath was down, plus or minus
a little, and then wrote it on a tape to send to us.  It was intended that
we would get the tape shortly after watmath came back up, within the
one-month expiry period, and thus any duplicate articles generated by
this would simply get thrown away.  Due to various problems,
we didn't get the tape until this week.  The contents of the tape
was then fed into the news system anyway.  None of these articles
should have been sent back to the rest of the Ontario subnet; only
Waterloo sites should see duplicates.  It's something we can do
little about, since we don't have history information dating back
that far.  Yes, a special check could be made for stuff posted
from waterloo, but it's not worth the effort.

The missing chunk at the beginning of the article is probably the
result of some system out there that hasn't fixed the truncation
bug.  Yes, there are systems that haven't.

The re-appearance of an old article is either a question of flakey
software somewhere or else simply a matter of a loop in the network.
The "history" file news keeps is partly intended to make sure that
looping articles get bounced, but the history data is not kept forever
and therefore an article that takes a long time to loop can sneak back
in.  This has happened before.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology