[ont.general] The "Sky Dome" - whaddya think?

sahayman@orchid.UUCP (05/13/87)

So somebody from Wallaceburg won the big contest, and the domed
stadium is to be named the Sky Dome.  What do people think?
Apparently the four finalists were
 - Sky Dome
 - Harbour Dome
 - Tower Dome
 - The Dome

I guess "Sky Dome" is pretty good compared to the others, but why does
the word "Dome" have to appear?  Maybe the roof itself could be called
the Sky Dome but I would rather see the stadium called something
without this trendy dome-word in the title.  (Speaking of which, what
the heck is a "Saddledome"? How can something be shaped like a saddle
*and* a dome?)

I would have voted for "Ontario Stadium", which would demonstrate that
it's not just Toronto's facility.

Oh well, it's probably too late.  I remember one proposal that
in the typical Ontario tradition of naming things after
inappropriate people, the stadium should be named "Glenn Gould Stadium".

From the home of the William G. Davis Institute for Computer Research...
..steve hayman

rbutterworth@orchid.UUCP (05/13/87)

I don't think there should have been a public vote to determine
the name (wasn't "condome" the most popular name suggested? and
didn't "Thunder Bay" win with a plurality over "Lakehead" and
"The Lakehead"?), and I don't think they should have considered
people's names for the stadium, but I do think they could have
at least published a dozen finalists, and not chosen the winner
for another week or so after hearing what the public reaction
to the names was.  They would still be free to choose whichever
name they wanted, but at least they would have had a preview of
why people are going to think their choice is wrong.

wjjordan@watdragon.UUCP (05/13/87)

In article <7500@orchid.UUCP> sahayman@orchid.UUCP (Steve Hayman) writes:
>Apparently the four finalists were
> - Sky Dome
> - Harbour Dome
> - Tower Dome
> - The Dome
>
>I would have voted for "Ontario Stadium", which would demonstrate that
>it's not just Toronto's facility.

Actually, I kind of wanted to snub Cincinnati again and call it
"Harbourfront Stadium."

							Jim

--
Loud is good.  Fast is better.  Loud and fast is best.  --P. D. Q. Bach

W. Jim Jordan, Conrad Grebel College, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G6
						...watmath!watdragon!wjjordan

msb@sq.UUCP (05/13/87)

Steve Hayman (sahayman@orchid.UUCP) writes:
> So somebody from Wallaceburg won the big contest,

This leaves out the interesting part.  If I understood the radio correctly,
a *computer science teacher* from Wallaceburg won the contest!  One of "us"!

I guess I can't resist commenting on Steve's main point:

> I guess "Sky Dome" is pretty good compared to the others, but why does
> the word "Dome" have to appear? ... I would have voted for "Ontario
> Stadium", which would demonstrate that it's not just Toronto's facility.

I agree with half of it -- my entry was "Toronto Stadium".

Mark Brader, *Toronto*

hobie@sq.UUCP (05/13/87)

Steve Hayman (sahayman@orchid.UUCP) writes:
>So somebody from Wallaceburg won the big contest, and the domed
>stadium is to be named the Sky Dome.  What do people think?
>Apparently the four finalists were
> - Sky Dome
> - Harbour Dome
> - Tower Dome
> - The Dome

	More suggestions:

	1> BoreDome
	2> SerfDome
	3> RanDome

 Hobie Orris			 	|
 SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.		|"There'll be no more giant leeches
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	| When you find the good Lord Jesus"

(NSA terrorist CIA cryptography DES drugs NRO cipher IRS secret RSA decode
coke libyan crack penguin lust russian nuclear missile atom assassinate)

gvcormack@watmum.UUCP (05/14/87)

My favourite was the "Con Dome".
--
Gordon V. Cormack     CS Dept, University of Waterloo, Canada N2L 3G1
                      gvcormack@waterloo     { .CSNET or .CDN or .EDU}

gbs@utgpu.UUCP (05/15/87)

		**	BLAH	**

Gideon Sheps   (or Cheops, as my Egyptian relatives spell it)
I am not a number ...                             ...I am a free variable !
gbs@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu                                          ///
gbs@utorgpu.bitnet/EARN/NetNorth                              \\\///
disclaimer: My Amiga has been known to postnews without asking \\\/