[ont.general] Computerese in French??

imprint@orchid.UUCP (10/07/87)

Does anyone out there know how to translate computer
terminology into French? I need to know certain terms and
jargon and words that simply are not in the French
dictionary, being too new.

If anyone can help me with this, please leave me a message.

Thanks.

Cindy (Imprint)

lamy@utegc.UUCP (10/07/87)

In article <11060@orchid.waterloo.edu> imprint@orchid.waterloo.edu (U of Waterloo Student Newspaper) writes:
>Does anyone out there know how to translate computer
>terminology into French? I need to know certain terms and

This would fall in the realm of can.francais, a newsgroup you should
be getting at your site.  Can.francais in fact covers living in French in
Canada, not only using computers in French...

"Maison de la presse internationale", in Toronto's Yorkville, has a
publication from the terminology office of the Quebec French language
agency ("Terminologie de l'informatique") that should give you most of
what you want.

Stuff that is not there is fair game for can.francais...

Jean-Francois Lamy                     lamy@ai.toronto.edu, lamy@ai.toronto.cdn
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science     lamy%ai.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4  {uunet,watmath}!ai.toronto.edu!lamy

gh@utai.UUCP (10/10/87)

In article <11060@orchid.waterloo.edu> imprint@orchid.waterloo.edu (U of Waterloo Student Newspaper) writes:
>Does anyone out there know how to translate computer
>terminology into French? I need to know certain terms and
>jargon and words that simply are not in the French
>dictionary, being too new.

The Department of the Secretary of State, Official Languages and Translation
Section, Terminology Directorate, publishes a series of bilingual glossaries
to solve exactly this problem.	Their latest, for example, covers artificial
intelligence.

Their postal address is [... as above ...], Ottawa K1A 0M5.
--
\\\\   Graeme Hirst    University of Toronto	Computer Science Department
////   utcsri!utai!gh  /  gh@ai.toronto.edu  /	416-978-8747