[ont.general] need to convert from Wang WP30 8" floppies to ASCII

dave@lsuc.UUCP (11/17/87)

Someone here needs to get a large chunk of word processing data
from a Wang WP30 system (8" floppies) to a VAX running VMS.
Apparently converting the word processing codes is a non-trivial
task. Does anyone know of a company which does this?

advTHANKSance.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Osgoode Hall
Toronto  M5H 2N6
416-947-3466
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave
Pronounce it ell-ess-you-see, please...

zaphod@deepthot.UUCP (11/17/87)

In article <2198@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP writes:
>Someone here needs to get a large chunk of word processing data
>from a Wang WP30 system (8" floppies) to a VAX running VMS.

similiar problem here, only we need to go from IBM displaywriter
to MS Word and/or pagemaker (we have both packages, eithor will do)

--
humbly yours,  Lance Bailey
               Univ. Western Ontario         |   Robart's Research Institute

decvax!{utcs|utzoo|watmath}!deepthot!zaphod
		-or-  zaphod@deepthot.uucp

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (11/21/87)

In article <960@deepthot.UUCP> zaphod@deepthot.UUCP writes:

>In article <2198@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP writes:
>
>>Someone here needs to get a large chunk of word processing data
>>from a Wang WP30 system (8" floppies) to a VAX running VMS.

>similiar problem here, only we need to go from IBM displaywriter
>to MS Word and/or pagemaker (we have both packages, eithor will do)

It's a while since I had to do this, but it is a reasonably common problem
here in Ottawa (what with all those incompatible government departmental
systems :-) ).  There are at least two agencies here in town that have this
sort of capability, and if you can't find one closer to home, e-mail me and
I'll look up the names and telephone numbers.

However, of more general interest is that an Alberta-based company called
KeyWord make a splendid magic box which, when added to a PC, allows for
interchange between all sorts of disks and a wide range of word-processing
formats.  Wang, Multimate, AES, WordStar all competently supported more than
two years ago when I last saw the system.  This box is in wide use here in
Ottawa, and I know that they had a Toronto office (two years ago).  It would
be worth trying to contact them, and finding out who locally offers a service
based on their system.

Please forgive my laziness, but I don't feel like chasing down 2-year old
references today.  If you need more than this, e-mail me, and I'll go look
things up.  (Well, what do your filing systems look like?)

Robert_S
--
R.A. Stanley             Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1440 (Research: there are 2!)           3755 Riverside Drive