[ont.general] Canadian Software Library

david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) (07/11/88)

(Seems to be my month for volunteering...)

Lyndon (lyndon@ncc) and I have been exchanging a few messages about
the difficulty of obtaining software releases from the United States.
Primarily, the cost, timing and customs hastle.

Here is a portion of his last message to me. What do people think
of this?

----------------( Lyndon's message follows )----------------------

I'm thinking of addressing the tape question specifically. It's a
royal pain in the ass to get tapes from the US. What I'm thinking
of doing is setting up a tape library and duplication service.
We already have things line GNU, TeX, MH, Icon, the Sun User Group
tapes (have to check on redistribution restrictions), etc.
What I can do is provide these in various formats (1/2 and 1/4 inch)
on a cost recovery basis. Doing a quick calculation, we should be
able to put out 1/2 inch tapes for about $50, and 1/4 inch for $75.
This covers the cost of the tape, shipping, and my time for making
the copies. To build the library up, I'll exchange one tape in the
archive for any new tape someone adds to the archive.

Why don't you bounce this around the people out east. If there's
enough interest I'll do a posting.

--lyndon

---------------( End of Lyndon's message )----------------------

The sysop folk around here thought it was a good idea, so I'd
like to solicit a larger sample from the net.

-david-

glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (07/13/88)

In article <2982@geac.UUCP> david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) writes:
>I'm thinking of addressing the tape question specifically. It's a
>royal pain in the ass to get tapes from the US. What I'm thinking
>of doing is setting up a tape library and duplication service.

Great idea.

>What I can do is provide these in various formats (1/2 and 1/4 inch)
>on a cost recovery basis. Doing a quick calculation, we should be
>able to put out 1/2 inch tapes for about $50, and 1/4 inch for $75.

This sounds like a very good price, you may want to double check your
calculations, and add in labour cost of someone in your organization (rather
than just your personal time - we tend to undervalue that sometimes). The
standard price for free software distributed on a tape seems to be
100 units of money, be it US$100, Aus$100, U.K.Pound 100.

By the way, should you not have posted it to can.general?
--
Godfrey Lee                                      P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated                              3755 Riverside Dr.