[ont.general] Compact Disk rentals

ckchee@dgp.toronto.edu (Chuan Chee) (07/24/88)

MAC'S (variety store) is now renting compact disks for $0.99/day.
It is available 24h from Avenue & Eglinton and Avenue & Brookdale
in Toronto.

The store has over 500 CD's in rock, jazz, and classical.
There is a mail library catalog that contains over 5000 titles
and 400 new title each month.  You order from the catalog by
Sat at 1:00pm and pick it up Sun 1:00pm-5:00pm.

You need three pieces of signed ID for (free) membership.

Chuan Chee.  ckchee@dgp.toronto.edu

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (07/25/88)

In article <8807240106.AA17556@explorer.dgp.toronto.edu>, ckchee@dgp.toronto.edu (Chuan Chee) writes:
> MAC'S (variety store) is now renting compact disks for $0.99/day.
> It is available 24h from Avenue & Eglinton and Avenue & Brookdale
> in Toronto.

So? I borrow CDs regularly from the public library for three weeks at a time
(renewable). For free. Even the overdue penalty is $0.15 per day. At $0.99 per
day, it's cheaper to BUY the CD than rent it from MACs for three weeks.

The selection at the public library is both intelligent and varied. Even here
in Brampton, I never see the same titles twice, and they're always expanding.
Certainly Toronto must have an even bigger selection.

Your tax dollars buy those library CDs. Why not use them?
--
_______
The great mystery revealed: | Evan Leibovitch, SA, System Telly

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (07/25/88)

Or, since these rentals take place against the express wishes of the artists
and record companies, you could show respect to the performers you like and
not rent them at all.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

mann@intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) (07/26/88)

In article <258@telly.UUCP> evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

>So? I borrow CDs regularly from the public library for three weeks at a time
>

>The selection at the public library is both intelligent and varied. Even here
>in Brampton, I never see the same titles twice, and they're always expanding.
>Certainly Toronto must have an even bigger selection.
>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, I've never tried to borrow cd's, but in terms of books,  I really miss
having access to a decent library since moving to Toronto.  Where I grew up,
we had a Central Library, with a good collection.  You had to go downtown,
but it was worth the trip.  In Toronto, they have all these tiny little
libraries, all over the place, with weird collections of stuff.  The Metro
Library at Yonge and Bloor is great, but reference only.  My kingdom for a
U of T card!  Does anyone know of a really good library in Toronto?

--
| Jeff Mann - Inter/Access, Toronto         ...uunet!mnetor!intacc!mann  |
| "Artists' Access to Electronic Media"  {utzoo, utgpu}!chp!intacc!mann  |

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (07/26/88)

In article <1869@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> Or, since these rentals take place against the express wishes of the artists
> and record companies, you could show respect to the performers you like and
> not rent them at all.

It's not the borrowing of the CDs themselves that causes the record companies
grief, so much as the use of these services to make illegal copies of the
original works. A service which lends CDs for a fee one day at a time is
tailor-made for people to make quick copies.

The CDs I really want, I buy. The CDs I'm interested in, but not enough to buy,
I borrow. There's already one case where I intend to buy a CD because I liked
the one I borrowed. No radio station plays it, and I would not have otherwise
heard of it. That's more exposure, and potentially more sales, not less.

Of course, the Brampton library is probably less likely than Mac's to stock
Megadeth or Johnny Hates Jazz. Some may consider that a benefit.
--
Evan Leibovitch, SA, system telly, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
            evan@telly.UUCP / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan

36_5130@uwovax.uwo.ca (Kinch) (07/26/88)

In article <258@telly.UUCP>, evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
> In article <8807240106.AA17556@explorer.dgp.toronto.edu>, ckchee@dgp.toronto.edu (Chuan Chee) writes:
>> MAC'S (variety store) is now renting compact disks for $0.99/day.
>> It is available 24h from Avenue & Eglinton and Avenue & Brookdale
>> in Toronto.
>
> So? I borrow CDs regularly from the public library for three weeks at a time
> (renewable). For free. Even the overdue penalty is $0.15 per day. At $0.99 per
> day, it's cheaper to BUY the CD than rent it from MACs for three weeks.
>
> The selection at the public library is both intelligent and varied. Even here
> in Brampton, I never see the same titles twice, and they're always expanding.
> Certainly Toronto must have an even bigger selection.
>
> Your tax dollars buy those library CDs. Why not use them?
> --
> _______
> The great mystery revealed: | Evan Leibovitch, SA, System Telly
> 1st - Egg:     2 min 41 sec | Located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
> 2nd - Chicken: 2 min 49 sec | evan@telly.UUCP -or- utzoo!telly!evan

yeah and STOP advertising for (ugg) MACS, they dont need your help
they already ahve taken over the variety store market and they are
making a mint at it!!!!!!

      Dave Kinchlea

larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) (07/27/88)

In article <1869@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Or, since these rentals take place against the express wishes of the artists
>and record companies, you could show respect to the performers you like and
>not rent them at all.

I assume that you do not frequent any library for any reason then. Not the
math library at UW, not the public library downtown? I hope that you only
buy the books you read.

Larry

--
Larry Williamson                      Focus Automation Systems
UUCP: watmath!focsys!larry    608 Weber St. N, Waterloo, Ontario N2V 1K4