[ont.general] What's the best way to get out of Toronto on Friday?

eastick@me.toronto.edu (Doug Eastick) (07/26/88)

I need to catch the 8pm ferry in Tobermory on Friday. Not being too
familiar with T.O. traffic, I'd appreciate helpful hints
on how to get out of the city (from Yonge & College, say) as quick
as possible.

As well, if anyone has a favourite route from Toronto to Tobermory,
I'd like to hear about it. I was thinking of the 400 to Cookstown,
then to Shelburne, the up Hwy 10 to Owen Sound.

Please e-mail suggestions
Thanks
--
Doug Eastick	BITNET: eastick@me.UTORONTO	UUCP: ...!utai!me!eastick
		EDU: eastick@me.toronto.edu

mdf@ziebmef.uucp (Matthew Francey) (07/27/88)

sub-orbital rocket?

greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) (07/28/88)

In article <8422.1988Jul25.22:42:00@me.toronto.edu> eastick@me.toronto.edu (Doug Eastick) writes:

>I need to catch the 8pm ferry in Tobermory on Friday. Not being too
>familiar with T.O. traffic, I'd appreciate helpful hints
>on how to get out of the city (from Yonge & College, say) as quick
>as possible.

1) Leave Thursday.
2) "Beam me up Scotty!"

From one who used to live in TO, but doesn't anymore (thankfully).

On my way to Waterloo one Friday night, I got stuck in a traffic jam
into the city at 8pm.  Ridiculous....

P.S. Good Luck!

--
Greg Franks                   XIOS Systems Corporation, 1600 Carling Avenue,
utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!greg  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Z 8R8. (613)725-5411.

gerry@syntron.UUCP (G. Roderick Singleton) (07/28/88)

With the insane construction going on your best bet is to leave before
1400 hrs.  At 1500 things are jammed, east/west and north/south.
Leaving early and arriving early will leave you pleasantly unfrazzled
for you trip/dive/et cetera.  BTW, this way the route doesn't matter
much.

ger
--
G. Roderick Singleton, System and Network Administration
{ utcsri!suncan | mnetor!geac | mnetor!syntron | geac!eclectic }!gerry

kgdykes@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ken Dykes) (07/28/88)

In article <545@xios.XIOS.UUCP] greg@xios.UUCP (Greg Franks) writes:
]
]In article <8422.1988Jul25.22:42:00@me.toronto.edu> eastick@me.toronto.edu (Doug Eastick) writes:
]>familiar with T.O. traffic, I'd appreciate helpful hints
]>on how to get out of the city (from Yonge & College, say) as quick
]
]1) Leave Thursday.
]2) "Beam me up Scotty!"
                ...No intellegent life down here!

]Greg Franks                   XIOS Systems Corporation, 1600 Carling Avenue,
   -ken
--
          - Ken Dykes,   Software Development Group, U.of.Waterloo
              kgdykes@watmath.uucp     kgdykes@water.bitnet

hjespers@attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) (07/28/88)

Can you actually get out of Toronto ??? I've been stuck here on the DVP since
LAST friday. If it weren't for my cellular modem , I wouldn't get ANY work
done ;>

Hans Jespersen                          |
AT&T Canada Inc.                        |     PLACE SILLY TEXT BASED
PHONE : (416)499-9400                   |     GRAPHIC DOODAD HERE.
UUCP  : {uunet | ihnp4}!attcan!hjespers |

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (07/30/88)

It's too bad the answer is moot.  Maybe for next time...

[ I have to answer, cause I can't stand the terribly glib attitude of
those who have answered (and Ontario drivers in general).  As you can
see, I stayed in town this weekend! ]

The best way is, of course, to chose a lesser traveled route.  Get
yourself a GOOD map of the area, and avoid anything with more than 2
lanes.  I've never had a problem with Hwy 27 nor Hwy 50 (except that
they don't go very far north).  If you're going to Simcoe, etc., try
Woodbine Ave., etc.  In this case there's nothing with more than 2 lanes.

The back roads of Ontario are quiet, pleasant and more interesting.
They are confusing though; being a Prairie boy, I have trouble with a
road system that isn't based on a grid.

The only thing I ask, is PLEASE follow the rules of the road, and, in
particular, DON'T SPEED.

		******  I HATE SPEEDING MANIACS  ******

The (sometimes underposted but still lawful) speed limits of the back
roads will still allow you to make better time than, say, sitting (or
possibly crawling) on the 400.  Often you will even be able to find a
shorter route.

Keep your cool :-), and have a good weekend.
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

johnb@sq.uucp (John Brown) (08/02/88)

In article <1988Jul30.130347.2438@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> woods@gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:

>It's too bad the answer is moot.  Maybe for next time...
>
>[ I have to answer, cause I can't stand the terribly glib attitude of
>those who have answered (and Ontario drivers in general).  As you can
>see, I stayed in town this weekend! ]
>
>The best way is, of course, to chose a lesser traveled route.  Get
>yourself a GOOD map of the area, and avoid anything with more than 2
>lanes.  I've never had a problem with Hwy 27 nor Hwy 50 (except that
>they don't go very far north).  If you're going to Simcoe, etc., try
>Woodbine Ave., etc.  In this case there's nothing with more than 2 lanes.

I had e-mailed the original poster on this, but since it seems to
have generated so much discussion, I'll throw in my two cents worth.
Getting out of TO on a Friday is not nearly so bad as it's made out
to be if you know what you're doing.

From downtown TO, you get on the Gardiner (wherever) and go to
the 427 North; follow the 427 to Dixon Rd. (by the Constellation
Hotel) and turn left onto Airport Road.  Go straight north thru
Brampton and take any one of a number of left turns to Hwy. 10
and take it straight north.

That route gets me to Owen Sound in just over two hours.  Tobermory
is about another 1.5 hours north.  As a point of interest, I left
Toronto for Owen Sound at 5:30 last Friday and made it to Owen
Sound in 2hrs. 20mins.

>						Greg Woods.
>
>UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
>VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

John Brown
SoftQuad Inc.
utzoo!sq!johnb

36_5130@uwovax.uwo.ca (Kinch) (08/04/88)

In article <1988Aug2.133400.29902@sq.uucp>, johnb@sq.uucp (John Brown) writes:
> In article <1988Jul30.130347.2438@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> woods@gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>>
>>It's too bad the answer is moot.  Maybe for next time...
>>
>>[ I have to answer, cause I can't stand the terribly glib attitude of
>>those who have answered (and Ontario drivers in general).  As you can
>>see, I stayed in town this weekend! ]
>>
>>The best way is, of course, to chose a lesser traveled route.  Get
>>yourself a GOOD map of the area, and avoid anything with more than 2
>>lanes.  I've never had a problem with Hwy 27 nor Hwy 50 (except that
>>they don't go very far north).  If you're going to Simcoe, etc., try
>>Woodbine Ave., etc.  In this case there's nothing with more than 2 lanes.
>
> I had e-mailed the original poster on this, but since it seems to
> have generated so much discussion, I'll throw in my two cents worth.
> Getting out of TO on a Friday is not nearly so bad as it's made out
> to be if you know what you're doing.
>
> From downtown TO, you get on the Gardiner (wherever) and go to
> the 427 North; follow the 427 to Dixon Rd. (by the Constellation
> Hotel) and turn left onto Airport Road.  Go straight north thru
> Brampton and take any one of a number of left turns to Hwy. 10
> and take it straight north.
>
> That route gets me to Owen Sound in just over two hours.  Tobermory
> is about another 1.5 hours north.  As a point of interest, I left
> Toronto for Owen Sound at 5:30 last Friday and made it to Owen
> Sound in 2hrs. 20mins.
>>
>>						Greg Woods.
>>
>>UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
>>VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
>
> John Brown
> SoftQuad Inc.
> utzoo!sq!johnb

Yeah but where do you land?