[ont.general] Unix-Unanimous meeting/newsgroup proposal

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (09/27/88)

I had originally posted a mail message to the unix-unanimous mailing list
which (among other things) called for comments on the creation of a newsgroup
expecially for the technical offshoot of /usr/group/cdn, "unix-unanimous".
This is a summary of replies to that message, and a similar one I had posted
in ont.general.

I would like to resolve this by consensus at the next unix-unanimous
meeting, Wednesday the 28th. Location, ususally U of T FLIS, will be
different this week because the room is unavailable. Since I haven't
heard otherwise, it appears likely we will meet in front of FLIS,
agree on an alternative site, and put up a sign to that effect
on the door of the normal meeting place.

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 88 12:00:52 EDT
From: Greg Woods <utgpu!woods>

I was thinking of opening this particular discussion at the meeting, but
I didn't know if a appropriate crowd was present.  Besides, it didn't
seem that anyone else was thinking of anything like this.  I've been
wondering what the point of a mailing list is, when all that
accomplishes is to make us a little clique with no avenues for expansion.

Certianly lack of news is no problem.  A simple solution might be to
restrict the current mailing list to those who don't get news, make the
news-group a moderated one, with the moderatior being an automatic posting
program as one of the mailing list destinations.

If we get our local backbone to create the group (utgpu), I think we
should be off and running.  It might be a good idea to mail all Ontario
site admin's and ask them to consider carrying the group, and explain
it's existence.

Of course, we could always just leave the mailing list alone and
auto-post everything into ont.general as well (as a digest?).  This
might even be the best solution, since ont.general is already there, and
should already have the appropriate readership.  Introductory notes
could be periodically posted to other groups (ie: new.groups for one)
(with distrib.=ont of course) in order to gather new readers.
From moore!telly!brambo!ncrcan!hcr!morgan Mon Aug 29 15:18:50 1988

ont.unix-unamimous sounds good to me.  If we start to discuss things that
would be of a more general nature, we could even have a comp.uu
(moderated) to which we post digests.

Morgan.
Date: Mon Aug 29 1988 19:25:05
From: rae@tnir.uucp (Reid Ellis)

This is a good idea -- to handle sites that don't get news, we can make
it a moderated newsgroup, with all mail going to unix-unanimous@wherever.

Reid
From utzoo!utstat!chew Wed Aug 31 13:21:44 1988

Great idea. When is the next meeting ?? I should would like to attend.

       Boon
Date: 	Thu, 1 Sep 88 19:59:18 EDT
From: Steve Hayman <watmath!sahayman>

Nobody is ever going to be able to spell that.  Keep it simple.
How about "ont.unix".
From moore!telly!utzoo!lsuc!cg286!dan Tue Sep  6 20:50:52 1988

I am mailing to support you on the issues you mention.
I believe
1) this newsgroup can become a ont distribution
and
2) I am more interested in the technical side of discussion in u-u meeting
   than in marketing meeting presented in /u/g/c and
   I agree with you that it would a good idea that we become local chapter
   of a comp.org.usenix.

   ... just so that you know I share your ideas ...
Date: 2 Sep 88 16:34:19 EDT (Fri)
From: sid@brambo.UUCP (Sid Van den Heede)

Sounds good to me...One day I hope to be organized enough to find the time
to get involved with this group.  Meanwhile I would like to read about
what is happening.
From: david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes)
Date: 1 Sep 88 12:17:12 GMT

This is not a direct comment about ont.unix-unanimous, but, one about
procedure. There seems to be a large body of folks who want to set up
news groups without showing the kind of volume that justifies the
setting up of a newsgroup. (remember ont.singles - what???)

I think that we might want to have a policy about the setting up of a
new newsgroup. Maybe modelled after the US USENET policy.

Their policy (paraphrased) is:

	1. Find a newsgroup that is close to what you want
	   to talk about.

	2. Post there for about 3 months.

	3. If, over the 3 months, you can show *sustained*
	   volume and a true divergence from that newgroup,
	   request to have a new newgroup created.

In this case, perhaps posting the articles that would have gone to
ont.unix-unanimous to ont.general for a while would suffice.

On the other hand, if you are taking an established mail list over
to the news, perhaps you need only show the last three months of
volume for the mail list.

I was facing a similar situation with the Canadian X Software Repository,
in that it could become a newsgroup or a mail list. The final decision
was to become a mail list until I could show sufficient volume to become
a newsgroup. This has not happened yet -- aside from my erratic postings
of Canadian X Notes, there have only been two user-generated postings.

Opinions?

-david-
From: msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader)
Date: 2 Sep 88 21:56:08 GMT

> There seems to be a large body of folks who want to set up
> news groups without showing the kind of volume that justifies the
> setting up of a newsgroup. (remember ont.singles - what???)
>
> I think that we might want to have a policy about the setting up of a
> new newsgroup. Maybe modelled after the US USENET policy.

If there is a US USENET policy, I'm unaware of it.  I think the number
of US-only groups on the net is negligible.  The policy described later
in the above-quoted article is that for net-wide groups.

The reason the policy exists is related to the huge population -- for a
basically unregulated entity -- of the net as a whole.  It has arisen
relatively recently; in the early days of the net, newsgroups were created
with no formal procedure and sometimes, I think, even with no discussion.
If that was done now, things would be too chaotic.

It seems to me that the Ontario subset of the net is now too big for us
to create newsgroups without discussion, but not so big that we need a
formal procedure similar to the net-wide policy.  Here, we can take the
opposite point of view: if there seems LIKELY to be traffic, take a poll;
if there is a consensus of support, then create the group.  If the traffic
doesn't appear, remove it again.  There won't be so many people proposing
groups in Ontario, or even in Canada, that that's not workable.

Ont.singles was precisely such a creation ... there seemed to be likely
to be going to be traffic, because net.singles (as it was then) was being
cut off from Ontario.  Later I proposed it for deletion as part of a
general clean-up of Ontario and Canadian groups, but there was sentiment
to keep it, so it stayed.  I'm not subscribed to it now; if there is no
traffic any more, someone should again propose it for removal.
From moore!ontmoh!peter Fri Sep  9 04:52:13 1988

Has Evan redefined "Unanimous"?
Does he speak for UU?
Should his proposal have been discussed and resolved within UU?
Should UU malign ugc?

Does Evan make Araldo and Robin look pretty good?

Has the time come to "spin off" a group from UU?
Might any of the following names be appropriate?

Acerbics Acrimonious
Antagonistics Autonomous
Caustics Clamorous
Frantics Garrulous
Hypocritics Ignominious
Polemics Querulous
Sardonics Seditious
Vitriolics Vociferous
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 88 11:56:35 EDT
From: Mike Borza <maccs!nusip>

Just thought I'd drop a line to tell you I'm interested in such a group.
The tally so far: (not counting myself)

In favour of a new group      - 9
Against a new group           - 0
Objections to the procedure   - 1
Objections to the objection   - 1
Objections to me              - 1

Thanks to all who responded.

DISCLAIMER: Any resemblence between myself and any present or past member of
the /usr/group/cdn board of directors, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
--
 Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
evan@telly.UUCP (PENDING: evan@telly.on.ca) / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan