[ont.general] Old news leaking out again

cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (11/04/88)

[I haven't seen anyone mention this publically yet, so I thought I'd
warn people who haven't already noticed.]

 Some old messages from around the start of October seem to have leaked
back out into ont.* and tor.*; I've spotted a couple Sept. 28th ones
here today. Until this problem gets zapped, you might want to check
the date on any messages that seem strangely familiar.

 The interesting bit of a sample path is utzoo!LAB!edhnic!becker; I'd
suggest machine LAB is the culprit (unfortunately the local maps are
highly out of date, so I can't check to see what LAB is).

--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"

In article <88Nov4.131826est.1054@sneezy.white.toronto.edu> cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
> The interesting bit of a sample path is utzoo!LAB!edhnic!becker; I'd
>suggest machine LAB is the culprit (unfortunately the local maps are
>highly out of date, so I can't check to see what LAB is).

Unfortunately, there is no site LAB connected to utzoo, so the maps would
not help.  Looks like one of our neighbors has fouled up somewhere.  There
has been some feed reshuffling; I've sent mail to the possible culprits.
Alas, we don't keep logs quite long enough to resolve this by looking at
them.
--
The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh Gamble) (11/09/88)

In article <1988Nov5.223513.13526@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <88Nov4.131826est.1054@sneezy.white.toronto.edu> cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
> > The interesting bit of a sample path is utzoo!LAB!edhnic!becker; I'd
> >suggest machine LAB is the culprit (unfortunately the local maps are
> >highly out of date, so I can't check to see what LAB is).
>
> Unfortunately, there is no site LAB connected to utzoo, so the maps would
> not help.  Looks like one of our neighbors has fouled up somewhere.  There
> has been some feed reshuffling; I've sent mail to the possible culprits.
> Alas, we don't keep logs quite long enough to resolve this by looking at
> them.
> --
> The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
> Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

LAB is what censor used to be known as before it started running news.
I found out expire was expiring itself rather than expiring news
after an nhistory file got bigger than the ulimit.  I've bumped up the
ulimit so censor shouldn't have any news older than 14 days anymore.
I don't know if it was the culprit, but if it doesn't have any old
news it should have a hard time sending it anywhere right?

If the problem is still ongoing please let me know ASAP with any
clues you can provide.  I expect censor or something that talks to
it was (is?) the guilty machine.