[ont.general] local software availability

In article <315@ontenv.UUCP> soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
>I have aquired a copy of Gene Spafford's technical report on the internet
>worm...

This is probably the third or fourth copy of this that has been laboriously
slurped up from the US.  This sort of catalyzes me to do something about
an idea that's been kicking around for some time:  a newsgroup, something
like "ont.archives", specifically for announcements of where things are
available locally.  This obviously won't cure the problem of six people
all trying to fetch up the same thing the day it's announced -- news just
doesn't propagate rapidly enough for that -- but it should help cut down
duplication of effort among the less enthusiastic.

There is also an awful lot of stuff available locally (e.g. all the Arpanet
RFCs) that almost nobody knows about.

Unless I hear serious objections, I'm going to create ont.archives Monday.
--
SunOSish, adj:  requiring      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
32-bit bug numbers.            | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

kevin@jtsv16.UUCP (kevin) (12/15/88)

In article <1988Dec14.204628.5059@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Unless I hear serious objections, I'm going to create ont.archives Monday.

Good idea.  Do it.

--
Kevin Brighton                        kevin@jtsv16.jts.com
JTS Computer Systems Ltd.             uunet!jtsv16!kevin

ns@maccs.McMaster.CA (Nicholas Solntseff) (12/16/88)

It is a very good idea.  There is a lot of stuff one hears about and then
cannot find easy access to.

Nick S .....