[ont.general] Public Usenet access in Toronto wanted

jafischer@spurge.waterloo.edu (Jonathan A. Fischer) (01/15/89)

	Subject line says it all, pretty much.  I'd like info on any
means of getting access to Usenet in Toronto -- any public sites where I
can buy an account, or any place that will let me be a node (I'd prefer
the first option, since while I have the uucp sources for my ST, I have
no idea how to go about setting myself up as a node).  Thanks in advance!!
--
					-Jonathan Fischer
Pet peeve #256: The pulltop on V8 juice cans.

jafischer@spurge.waterloo.edu (Jonathan A. Fischer) (01/16/89)

	Thanks to all who responded!
--

jafischer@spurge.waterloo.edu (Jonathan A. Fischer) (01/22/89)

	I didn't have time to do  this last weekend  (I was in  a real
rush),  but here's  a  summary of the  many  responses  I  received...
Thanks again to all.

Date: 	Sun, 15 Jan 89 16:07:47 EST
From: hcrvax!edwin@hcr
To: utcsri!utai!watmath!spurge!jafischer@hcr
Subject: Re: Public Usenet access in Toronto wanted
Newsgroups: ont.general

Here's some mail I got last July, and I thought would come in handy some
day:

% >From ziebmef!becker  Wed Jul  6 19:29:09 1988 remote from ncrcan
% From: becker@ziebmef.UUCP (Bruce Becker)
% To: edwin@hcr
%
% Yes 'ziebmef' is in Toronto - call 654-8854 and login as 'guest' - you
% can send mail to sysop@ziebmef also, to request n account.
%
% Cheers, Bruce Becker

You're welcome!

Edwin Hoogerbeets

Date: 	Sun, 15 Jan 89 16:03:36 EST
From: rae@geaclib (Reid Ellis)
To: jafischer@spurge
Newsgroups: ont.general

UofT has such a site, gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, a Sun.  You want to talk
to the UofT Computing Services [UTCS].  I think they're in the phone book.
Make sure you specify Unix or they'll throw you onto CMS.  Note that gpu has
access to BITNET and the Internet [FTP!].

Reid
--
Reid Ellis
geaclib!rae@geac.uucp

To: jafischer@spurge
Date: 	Sun, 15 Jan 89 17:07:08 EST
From: evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch)

To: jafischer@spurge.waterloo.edu
Newsgroups: ont.general

In article <10783@watdragon.waterloo.edu> you write:

>	Subject line says it all, pretty much.  I'd like info on any
>means of getting access to Usenet in Toronto -- any public sites where I
>can buy an account, or any place that will let me be a node (I'd prefer
>the first option, since while I have the uucp sources for my ST, I have
>no idea how to go about setting myself up as a node).  Thanks in advance!!

Sometime between now and March, telly will start to offer public access
news and mail (all groups except binaries) for $60 per year.

It's located in Brampton, local call from metro Toronto or the west end.
>From now until then, you'll be welcome to free access, in return for helping
me shake down the software front end I've developed.

To the extent I can, I would also help you set up a mail link.
---
Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly                   "I am most concerned that
Located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario, Canada          nobody will remember me
evan@telly.on.ca -or- uunet!attcan!telly!evan            when I am dead" - Anon.

To: jafischer@spurge
Newsgroups: ont.general
From: Dave Mason <mason@tmsoft>
Date: 	Sun, 15 Jan 89 22:52:13 EST

Boy, that's pretty fast if 21 hours later you're saying thanks for all
the responses!  Here's the blurb on tmsoft:

TM Software Associates Inc., provides 2 types of services:

mail-news	$30/month, 2hrs/day max, 5Kb file limit.  More than
		occasional use of compilers or other non-mail, non-news
		utilities prohibited

general-timesharing
		$60/month, 4hrs/day max, 100Kb file limits + additional
		charges for additional disk space.  No restrictions on
		use of tools.

tmsoft is fairly well connected, and we will be using these revenues
to improve this connectivity (in particular providing connection to
uunet).  We currently receive every newsgroup that comes into Toronto,
(that we're aware of) including several mailing lists (total of 7+Mb
per day).

To subscribe, call 416-461-2608, login as 'newuser', and follow the
directions.  What could be easier?
	../Dave

To: "Jonathan A. Fischer" <jafischer@spurge>
Newsgroups: ont.general
Date: 	Wed, 18 Jan 89 02:59:57 EST
From: Chris Siebenmann -- Ziebmef Sysadmin <cks@ziebmef>

 As you can see, there's at least one. The Ziebmef is a SysV box,
reachable at 654-8854 (24/12/300 baud) or 654-6192 (12/300 baud); we
get most everything except soc, talk, and misc groups (although I'm
willing to add specific groups on request). Access is free, although
donations are accepted.

---
	"Hey, thats's why Dad moved to Colorado. He sits Zen now.
		Me, I like the mountains."
Chris Siebenmann		uunet!{utgpu!moore,attcan!telly}!ziebmef!cks
cks@ziebmef.UUCP	     or	.....!utgpu!{,ontmoh!,ncrcan!brambo!}cks