[ont.general] Connecting to the Internet

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (03/27/89)

OK, I'll show my ignorance. How would a psuedo-commercial orgainization
in Ontario (like for instance MOE) go about establishing an IP connection
to the Internet?
--
Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
Until the next maps go out:	moegate!soley@ontenv.UUCP

david@torsqnt.UUCP (David Haynes) (03/28/89)

In article <221@moegate.UUCP> soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
>OK, I'll show my ignorance. How would a psuedo-commercial orgainization
>in Ontario (like for instance MOE) go about establishing an IP connection
>to the Internet?
>--
>Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment

I was interested in this too. So far, this is a summary of what I have
been told. I would love to get the ``straight scoop'' from someone in
the know (rayan?).

1. You need to purchase a data router. The box of choice seems to be
   made by Cisco. (Does anyone have a TO reference for these?)

2. There seemed to be talk of a connection fee of about $15K.

3. There was also a yearly fee mentioned of about $15K.

4. All this was set in jello when I was asking -- Toronto, Waterloo
   and Western were just getting their act together then.

5. I assume that point 1. would also imply the need for a fast data
   line. I know that the links are at 19,200, but are voice-grade
   lines sufficient?

-david-

andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Andy Toy, Applications Support Group) (03/29/89)

In article <295@torsqnt.UUCP> david@torsqnt.UUCP (David Haynes) writes:
>I was interested in this too. So far, this is a summary of what I have
>been told. I would love to get the ``straight scoop'' from someone in
>the know (rayan?).
>
>1. You need to purchase a data router. The box of choice seems to be
>   made by Cisco. (Does anyone have a TO reference for these?)

I believe that the CISCO router is made by Proteon.  Try sending mail
to postmaster@proteon.com.

>2. There seemed to be talk of a connection fee of about $15K.
>
>3. There was also a yearly fee mentioned of about $15K.

I am not sure what the costs are.

>4. All this was set in jello when I was asking -- Toronto, Waterloo
>   and Western were just getting their act together then.

UW, UofT, UWO, Mac and Queens (?) are connected.  This is ONet and has
been created with the support of CLSC (Centre for Large Scale
Computing) at UofT.  I think that Guelph, York and Ottawa U's will be
connecting too if they haven't already.

>5. I assume that point 1. would also imply the need for a fast data
>   line. I know that the links are at 19,200, but are voice-grade
>   lines sufficient?

The lines are leased from Bell.  I don't know what grade they are.

The connections are:

   UWO----UW----UofT----QU
                / \
               /   \56kbps link  (all others are at 19.2kbps)
            Mac     \
                    CornellU (NSFNet) Gateway to US Internet

It looks like Guelph will hook up to UW and York will connect to UofT.
Ottawa may connect to Queen's or UofT (I am not sure).

This is just from memory, but if you want more details I can look it
up or ask around here.
--
Andy Toy, Department of Computing Services,  |  andytoy@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca
  University of Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA    |  andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu

molnar@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Tom Molnar) (03/30/89)

In article <221@moegate.UUCP> soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
# OK, I'll show my ignorance. How would a psuedo-commercial orgainization
# in Ontario (like for instance MOE) go about establishing an IP connection
# to the Internet?

The logical connection path would be to join a regional net: Onet in this
case.

Onet began life as a cooperative network between a few academic
institutions in Ontario.  Onet has grown to become a recognized
regional network that is part of the Internet.  While I am not aware of
any restrictions as to who may join Onet, there is a definite
restriction on the nature of the traffic.  It must be non-commercial in
nature.

The current Onet management policy is still informal, but I am told that there
are two membership classes (and these are in fact subject to change):

	i)  Full voting membership.
	    In order to become a full voting member, an organisation
	    must not only pay the $15k/yr membership fee, but must also
	    buy a Cisco router. A full voting member becomes part of
	    the backbone infrastructure. This means the organisation
	    must be willing to allow connections to the new router as
	    Onet requirements grow.  The communications line costs are
	    borne by Onet.  The new router is backed up by an Onet
	    maintenance spare.

	ii) End node membership.
	    An organisation must still pay the $15k/yr membership fee,
	    but no longer has to purchase a Cisco router.  All that is
	    required is to find an organisation already connected to
	    Onet who is willing to act as a gateway.  The end
	    node will have to cover all communications costs.  Note
	    that these costs are low in the Toronto area, and the
	    connection could be as simple as a 9600 baud SLIP
	    connection (TCP/IP over a serial line) between two UNIX
	    workstations.  The connection could be between two
	    dedicated routers as well.

Again, let me emphasize that Onet is currently a cooperative network.
Policies have not yet been formalized.

Other requirements are simply those of any TCP/IP network.  The
gateway/hosts in the organisation should, in principle, conform to
current Internet standards.   Individuals interested in this should
refer to rfc1009 and the draft host requirements rfc.

Organisations formally interested in joining Onet may contact

		Dr. Warren Jackson
		Director, UofT Computing Services
		(416) 978-8948
		wcj@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca

One final point.  A Cisco router is not made by Proteon.  Cisco Systems Inc.
is a vendor of dedicated network routers, just like Proteon.

Hope this helps,
Tom
--
Tom Molnar
Unix Systems Group, University of Toronto Computing Services.

andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Andy Toy, Applications Support Group) (03/30/89)

Looks like I jumbled my facts in my previous followup.  Cisco and
Proteon are different routers.  The 19.2 kbps links use the Cisco
router and the 56 kbp link to Cornell U uses the Proteon router.  I
hope this is now correct.  I should stop my late night rn'ning :-)

--

mike@ists.ists.ca (Mike Clarkson) (03/30/89)

In article <295@torsqnt.UUCP>, david@torsqnt.UUCP (David Haynes) writes:
> In article <221@moegate.UUCP> soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
> >OK, I'll show my ignorance. How would a psuedo-commercial orgainization
> >in Ontario (like for instance MOE) go about establishing an IP connection
> >to the Internet?
> >--
> >Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment

> 1. You need to purchase a data router. The box of choice seems to be
>    made by Cisco. (Does anyone have a TO reference for these?)

Correct, except that this weeks price is closer to 20k$. (No :-)
The alternate box is a Proteon.

> 2. There seemed to be talk of a connection fee of about $15K.

The router is the connection fee.

> 3. There was also a yearly fee mentioned of about $15K.

Correct again.  This is the annual fee to pay for line charges and spare
parts.

> 4. All this was set in jello when I was asking -- Toronto, Waterloo
>    and Western were just getting their act together then.

Western, Waterloo, Guelph, MacMaster, UofT, York, Queens, ISTS, ITRC
are all in various stages of coming on.  Ottawa is likely to join soon.

> 5. I assume that point 1. would also imply the need for a fast data
>    line. I know that the links are at 19,200, but are voice-grade
>    lines sufficient?

No. The requirement is for Routers at each end, hence sync data lines.
9600 is the minimum, and 56k is the next step that Bell offers in the
city, if it offers it at all (ie not in Markham).  19.2 is available
and used long-distance.

ONET is most assuredly open to commercial members.  If your organization
has the interest (and the money :-), contact Peter Marshall,
peter@julian.uwo.ca

--
Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.ists.ca

peter@hadrian.uwo.ca (Peter Marshall) (03/31/89)

I don't often get down this far in my news list, but someone pointed
out the query to me and I thought that it would be a good time to post
a general blurb on ONet that I wrote up for the Ottawa group that was
about to join.  I have added some parenthetical notes to update it in
a couple of places, but I might have missed a couple of dated pieces
of information.  In addition to this note I can supply a copy of the
(still) draft ONet charter and list of seminal decisions to anyone
interested.
------------
This is a collection of notes for potential new members of ONet.  It
is in addition to the basic map of the current system and any more
formal documents.

Some ONet History (from a summary by Andy Bjerring)

ONet evolved out of some initial efforts last spring involving two of
the Centres of excellence recently funded by the Ontario government
and several of the computing service organisations at the universities
associated with those Centres.  Although we have not yet completely
defined our charter, the current draft states that ONet is a network
established for the benefit of individual member institutions in
support of their research and educational activities.

The membership currently includes U of T, Western, Queen's, York,
McMaster, Waterloo, and two of the Centres of Excellence (ITRC and
ISTS).  Special mention should be made of the membership of the
Ontario Centre for Large Scale Computation, since they have agreed to
provide special financing of part of the cost of the leased lines
linking the current member institutions.  For the original members at
least, OCLSC will contribute funding to bring the line speeds up to
19.2kbps, up from the 9.6kbps the institutions felt they could afford
on their own.  Discussions are continuing about the longer term role
the OCLSC wants to play in ONet.

There are several prospects for expansion of the network during 1989.
The University of Guelph is expected to join the network soon, and
interest has been expressed by Carleton and a number of Ottawa based
government and research companies.  We expect to have a linkage into
the emerging Quebec network in place by mid-1989.  Sun Canada
of Toronto is expected to join the network within the next few months.
This, we hope, will be the first of many corporate members of the
network.

The main protocol being supported will be TCP/IP, although some of the
links will also support DECnet.  All institutions have purchased cisco
routers.  Currently maintenance is being supported by a spare router
stored in Toronto, but other arrangements are being discussed.  The
capital cost of the router for each institution has been around
$15,000.  Annual costs associated with the leased lines and the
maintenance arrangements will be about $15,000 for the current
complement of members, although that will change as new members are
added.  The OCLSC contribution is on top of these amounts.

The network has been operational (with the exception of the links to
McMaster and York) since the end of September.  We had some problems
getting the DECnet part of the network working.  This has meant delays
for York and McMaster since we are converting existing DECnet links to
carry their traffic.  (McMaster has been up since December.)

ONet is also supporting part of the cost of the University of
Toronto's 56Kbps link to Cornell, NSFNET and so to the rest of the US
and world-wide Internet.  This vital link has been in operation since
early October.

Other projects that we will be looking at include the possibility of
using the ONEt links to carry NetNorth traffic between institutions.
We will be contacting BITNET to see if we could become part of the
second phase of their BITNET II program that currently involves
Princeton, CUNY, Cornell and Penn State.  If so, we might be
experimenting with their software over one or more of the ONet links
sometime in 1989.  We also will be looking for other applications and
other sources of funding to help take the line speed to 56Kbps.  If
something positive develops in this area, we might be in a good
position to begin talks with other groups and combine the data service
with shared voice facilities using something like Bell's megastream
service.  The consensus, however, is that we should learn to walk
before we attempt the more ambitious venture, and the 19.2Kbps
facility will keep us all busy for a while.

One final point that I might have mentioned earlier is that the
private sector partners and associates in the provincial Centres of
Excellence will be tied into the network as well, although it is
unlikely that any will have more than slow speed or dial-up access
through the host institution's network.

The Physical Network

The ONet network consists of lines leased from Bell connecting IP
routers manufactured by cisco systems.  We also help pay for a link
into the US NSF network through the University of Toronto.

Each node on the network (typically a campus) has an IP router
attached to ONet on one side and to the campus network on the other.
Using only cisco routers for this makes for few compatibility problems
and generally makes the network easier to manage.

The network is almost completely unmanaged.  Well, that's not quite
true.  There is currently no central management entity.  Management is
performed cooperatively by a responsible technical contact at each
site.  The network is small and we are still exploring how to run it.
For now we rely on an "expert" at each site to keep the system
running.  There are some acknowledged "super-experts" at the larger
sites that are willing to help with problems beyond the local
"expert".  It should be remembered here that we are all very new to
the game and that those quotes around "expert" really mean "take this
with a grain of salt".

Routing

Basically when you connect your site to ONet, routing from your site
into the Internet will be done by designating the ONet router to be
the default router on your network.  You should set up each of your
machines that is to have access to the network in such a way that if
they don't know how to get to a destination, then they should punt the
packet to the ONet router on your site.

The ONet routers at each site keep in constant touch with each other
and an even smarter router located at UofT so they have a pretty good
idea about how to get packets to their destination.

Names

We encourage all members to implement the domain naming system and a
name server (BIND) for their campus.  This will allow your users to
address other sites by name rather than by number.  It will also allow
other sites to find out the names of the systems behind your ONet
router.

We still have some work to do to document how your campus name server
integrates into the other name servers for ONet.  For now join and
then consult the people on the

"<onet-workers@ai.toronto.edu>"

list.  You might also consider contacting one of the following people:

"Reg Quinton <reggers@uwo.ca>" or
"Lee Oattes <oattes@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca>".

Topology

The topology of the network is decided by the management committee.
They are open to variations on the basic setup of the network.  The
fees payed by members are meant to cover the costs of renting
data-lines to connect the various members and for maintenance on the
routers.  If the membership fee does not cover this cost we will
probably have to make some exceptions to our universal membership fee.
This might mean charging remote sites slightly more than the current
membership fees.  There is not a lot of money to play with.

What we need from you

1. You must purchase a cisco router with at least one ethernet and one
   serial connection.  This item is available through Granville
   Technologies, Toronto for about US$11000 - 5% discount.  (It is
   considerably cheaper to buy in US dollars if you are buying from
   Granville.)  The discount is probably only available to educational
   sites.

   As further links are added to the network you may be required to
   purchase boards for your router so that these connections can be
   made.  (The minimum and maximum requirements are currently under
   review.)  There is currently no restriction on what else you use
   your router for.  At Western for example, it also routes between 3
   campus ethernets.  This sharing might have to change as ONet
   becomes a more formal and more managed organization.

2. Annual membership is currently $15,000.  This is pro-rated on a
   monthly basis if you start your membership in the middle of the
   year.  The year is May 1st to April 30th.

3. You might want to negotiate with OCSLC for funding to upgrade the
   basic line speed from 9600 to 19.2.  OCSLC has been able to do this
   for the initial 7 members.  There are no guarantees for the rest.
   Money after the first year (1988/89) may also be scarce!

4. Other connection arrangements can be arranged.  We have worked out
   a mechanism for connecting without using cisco router, for end-node
   sites.  (Members using this option would make an arrangement with a
   backbone site to install appropriate hardware and lease a the line
   to the new site.  The membership fee would still be payable.)

What you get

1. Membership in ONet.  A vote on the Management Committee (which is
   invested with all power!).

2. The right to use all the facilities of ONet and its connections to
   other networks.

3. Your router will be covered under the consortium's maintenance
   agreement with Granville Technologies.  (This starts (we hope) in
   May 1989.)  You will have access to the ONet spare router until we
   get the maintenance agreement in place.

4. A connection to the network, paid for by ONet at 9600 bps (Or
   perhaps 19.2k bps if you are considered to be an important place
   for OCLSC to upgrade the connection speed.)
Peter Marshall, Data Comm. Manager
CCS, U. of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5B7
(519)661-2151x6032
peter.marshall@uwo.ca pm@uwovax (BITNET); peter@julian.uucp

egisin@mks.UUCP (Eric Gisin) (04/01/89)

In article <1989Mar29.161607.11999@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, molnar@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Tom Molnar) writes:
> 	ii) End node membership.
> 	    An organisation must still pay the $15k/yr membership fee,
> 	    but no longer has to purchase a Cisco router.  All that is
> 	    required is to find an organisation already connected to
> 	    Onet who is willing to act as a gateway.  The end
> 	    node will have to cover all communications costs.  Note

Onet should consider reducing the cost for end nodes to $1K-$5K,
based on the size of the organization. Almost all the revenue
from end nodes could be put into improving the backbone links,
and with 10-20 new nodes you could probably upgrade the backbone
links from 19.2K to 56K/sec. Everyone would benefit from that.

mike@ists.ists.ca (Mike Clarkson) (04/02/89)

In article <742@mks.UUCP>, egisin@mks.UUCP (Eric Gisin) writes:
> Onet should consider reducing the cost for end nodes to $1K-$5K,
> based on the size of the organization. Almost all the revenue
> from end nodes could be put into improving the backbone links,
> and with 10-20 new nodes you could probably upgrade the backbone
> links from 19.2K to 56K/sec. Everyone would benefit from that.

Have you looked at Ma Bell's pricing policies for leased lines recently?

If so, you'll find that you need 15k$ end nodes to afford to upgrade
backbone links to 56k.

Mike.