[ont.general] Parking in TO.

greg@sce.carleton.ca (Greg Franks) (03/27/89)

I'm going to be in Toronto this Friday at U of T for a swim meet at
their pool.  The big question is:

Should I park near the skule, if so, where and how much?

                             -or-

Should I park at Yorkdale Shopping Center and take the
subway to St. Georges Stn.

It's been a while since I've enjoyed Toronto Traffic.  I should be at
55 harboard for noon.

Please send email with info.

  Thanks

..greg

--
Greg Franks                  Systems and Computer Engineering,
utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!sce!greg  Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (03/30/89)

There's a parking lot on Adelaide near Bay that you can park
in for $3.00 per half hour.  From there it's only a short
subway ride to U of T.  They usually have space.

David Sherman
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  utzoo }!lsuc!dave          dave%lsuc@ai.toronto.edu

kaarel@csri.toronto.edu (Kaarel Truuvert) (03/31/89)

In article <1989Mar29.214735.3608@lsuc.uucp> dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) writes:
>There's a parking lot on Adelaide near Bay that you can park
>in for $3.00 per half hour.  From there it's only a short
>subway ride to U of T.  They usually have space.

Yes, but
1) you first have to drive into the heart of downtown in the middle
   of the day. This has made grown men weep.
2) To get to U of T you still have to take the subway, or walk a long way.
3) Parking at Yorkdale is, if not free, cheaper than parking downtown.

Therefore you end up paying more and probably saving no time parking
at Bay and Adelaide instead of at Yorkdale.
Moreover, Yorkdale is right by the 401, which is the highway one would
take in getting from Waterloo to Toronto.

Kaarel Truuvert				kaarel@csri.utoronto.ca
Dept. of Computer Science		kaarel@csri.toronto.edu
University of Toronto

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (03/31/89)

In article <1989Mar29.214735.3608@lsuc.uucp> I write:
>There's a parking lot on Adelaide near Bay that you can park
>in for $3.00 per half hour.  From there it's only a short
>subway ride to U of T.  They usually have space.

The prices just went up yesterday.  Most of the lots along Adelaide
in the downtown core are now $3 per half hour.  The lot I was thinking
of is now $3.50.  This is the true measure of the Manhattanization
of Toronto; when the daily maximum hits $20, we've made it.

David Sherman
--

mdfreed@ziebmef.uucp (Mark Freedman) (04/01/89)

In article <8903302106.AA19661@esplanade.csri.toronto.edu> kaarel@csri.toronto.edu (Kaarel Truuvert) writes:
>In article <1989Mar29.214735.3608@lsuc.uucp> dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) writes:
>>There's a parking lot on Adelaide near Bay that you can park
>>in for $3.00 per half hour.  From there it's only a short
>>subway ride to U of T.  They usually have space.
>
>Yes, but
>1) you first have to drive into the heart of downtown in the middle
>   of the day. This has made grown men weep.
>2) To get to U of T you still have to take the subway, or walk a long way.
>3) Parking at Yorkdale is, if not free, cheaper than parking downtown.
>
>Therefore you end up paying more and probably saving no time parking
>at Bay and Adelaide instead of at Yorkdale.
>Moreover, Yorkdale is right by the 401, which is the highway one would
>take in getting from Waterloo to Toronto.
>
>Kaarel Truuvert				kaarel@csri.utoronto.ca
>Dept. of Computer Science		kaarel@csri.toronto.edu
>University of Toronto

(you first have to drive into the heart of downtown Toronto in the middle of the
day. This has made grown men weep.)

    Phew ... I thought that I was just getting "soft" in my old age. There are
at least TWO of us :-)

  "So what did you do yesterday ???" ... "I drove downtown, looked for a parking
spot for a few hours, then drove home." :-(

howard@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Howard Lem) (04/02/89)

In article <1989Apr1.105325.16747@ziebmef.uucp> mdfreed@ziebmef.UUCP (Mark Freedman) writes:
> earlier references deleted.
>
>(you first have to drive into the heart of downtown Toronto in the middle of the
>day. This has made grown men weep.)
>
>    Phew ... I thought that I was just getting "soft" in my old age. There are
>at least TWO of us :-)
>
>  "So what did you do yesterday ???" ... "I drove downtown, looked for a parking
>spot for a few hours, then drove home." :-(

What's the big deal about driving in Toronto?  All you really have to do is
to hop in the sherman tank in your driveway and drive!  :-)  If anybody wants
to get in your way; blast em' or go over em'! :-)) :-))

But seriously;  It not to bad getting to UofT.  There is parking (reasonably
cheap compared to Downtown prices.)  Driving in Toronto is easy when you
compare it to New York, Chicago & LA.

And Yes, I drive to work at UofT!
--
      .signature follows!  use the n key if you don't want to see it :-)

<<<<<<<<<========= ALL Usual disclaimers go here :-) =========>>>>>>>>>
Canada Post:  Howard Lem - University of Toronto Computing Services
              11 King's College Rd., Room 107A
              Toronto, Ont., Canada,  M5S 1A1
Telephone: (416) - 978 - 4310 {work}
Email: howard@gpu.utcs.uucp

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (04/03/89)

howard@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Howard Lem) writes:
>But seriously;  It not to bad getting to UofT.  There is parking (reasonably
>cheap compared to Downtown prices.)  Driving in Toronto is easy when you
>compare it to New York, Chicago & LA.

It really isn't that bad if you find the right routes.  We live in
Thornhill, and I avoid driving downtown if I can.  For the last few
months, however, I've had to drive downtown because my wife can't stand
the subway in her condition (she's expecting).  We've been able to get
from our kids' daycare in Thornhill to Adelaide & Church in under 45
minutes in rush hour most days, and back in about 35-40 minutes.
Took a while to find the best route.

David Sherman
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  utzoo }!lsuc!dave          dave%lsuc@ai.toronto.edu

greg@sce.carleton.ca (Greg Franks) (04/05/89)

Thanks to all for the advice on parking in TO.  I decided to take the
better way and parked at Yorkdale.  The subway was probably cheaper
and faster than Taking The Car, even when you don't count parking
costs.

Now all I wish for is real public transit here in the Nation's
Capital.  Busses - bahh.
  ..greg
--

In article <585@sce.carleton.ca> greg@sce.UUCP (Greg Franks) writes:
>Now all I wish for is real public transit here in the Nation's
>Capital.  Busses - bahh.

Well, hey, we all know that everyone who counts in Ottawah has excellent
public transportation:  a limo, paid for out of your pocket and mine. :-(
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (04/11/89)

In article <1989Apr2.184310.16634@lsuc.uucp> dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) writes:
>We've been able to get
>from our kids' daycare in Thornhill to Adelaide & Church in under 45
>minutes in rush hour most days, and back in about 35-40 minutes.
>Took a while to find the best route.

And he's not telling anyone what it is, or he'll never get to work
on time :-)

edwin@hcr.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (04/11/89)

In article <1989Apr7.040607.16858@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.UUCP writes:
>In article <585@sce.carleton.ca> greg@sce.UUCP (Greg Franks) writes:
>>Now all I wish for is real public transit here in the Nation's
>>Capital.  Busses - bahh.
>Well, hey, we all know that everyone who counts in Ottawah has excellent
>public transportation:  a limo, paid for out of your pocket and mine. :-(

They use limos because they are harder to hijack.

Edwin