[ont.general] Speeding while passing

klash@bnr-public.uucp (Karl (call me Klash)insky) (04/17/89)

In article <3098@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:

>...  To pass, you should accelerate by a significant amount,
>even if if takes you over the limit (8-)), pass quickly, and then return
>to the slow lane.
>
>... Yes, as far as I understand
>it, the law says you are permitted and supposed to exceed the limit to
>pass.
>
>Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

I can't speak for Ontario, but in BC it is definitely NOT legal
to exceed the speed limit EVER, EVEN WHILE PASSING.  The 'law'
feels that you have no need to pass a vehicle unless it is moving
at a speed well below the posted limit (and, hence, you can pass
safely without speeding).

Anybody know the "just the facts, ma'am" in this case?

Karl Klashinsky                                 "I shall endeavour to
Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.                     function adequately."
utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!bnr-public!klash			 Lt. Data