[ont.general] Ancient dumb terminals for sale

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (04/28/89)

Remember the good old days?  Back before the days of spiffy workstations?
Back when UNIX was pretty much an underground cult, whose disciples neither
dreamed nor hoped that it would someday become mainstream?  Well, friends,
you can relive those good old days.  We have two dusty old ADM3A+ terminals
sitting around, in case anyone would like to make an offer on them.  They
come with absolutely no guarantees of any kind, though one is believed to
be in fine working condition.  The other is known not to be, though it's
thought that this may be due to a flaky DEI graphics board (spiffy Tektronix
4010 emulation, more or less) that was installed many years ago.  Any takers?

Mark Bartelt                          UUCP: {utzoo,decvax}!sickkids!mark
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto   BITNET: mark@sickkids.utoronto
416/598-6442                          INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (04/30/89)

In article <261@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>thought that this may be due to a flaky DEI graphics board (spiffy Tektronix

Is this DEI of Pasadena CA?

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (05/01/89)

In article <9453@watcgl.waterloo.edu>
ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) writes:

> In article <261@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
> >thought that this may be due to a flaky DEI graphics board (spiffy Tektronix

> Is this DEI of Pasadena CA?

Dunno whether DEI is (or, maybe, was) actually located in Pasadena, but
I'm about 98% certain that is was founded by ex-techers (he sez, as one
ex-techer to another).  The name is a dead giveaway, although they did
come up with something (Digital Electronics, Inc., or some such) that it
could be claimed to be an abbreviation for.

[  It occurs to me that the above paragraph is probably pretty obscure
   to nearly all other ont.general readers, who are undoubtedly unaware
   of the background/history/etymology of "DEI".  Explanations furnished
   on request.  ]