[ont.general] internet mail to politicians

rae@alias.UUCP (Reid Ellis) (04/26/89)

larry@zeus.UUCP (Larry Philps) writes:
|Anybody else agree?  Maybe I will send a copy of my tirade to my MP.  His
|garbage can is probably empty :-)

Actually, has anyone given consideration to the idea of putting our
illustrious MP's and MPP's "on the net" so to speak?  Then we could send all
our harangues off to brian@pmo.p-hill.ottawa.on.ca :-)
					Reid

pavel@dgp.toronto.edu (Pavel Rozalski) (04/27/89)

In article <296@alias.UUCP> rae@alias.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
>Actually, has anyone given consideration to the idea of putting our
>illustrious MP's and MPP's "on the net" so to speak?  Then we could send all
>our harangues off to brian@pmo.p-hill.ottawa.on.ca :-)
>					Reid

I think it would be scary. The bureaucracy would of approve of naming
conventions that allow domain names like pmo.p-hill.ottawa.on.ca :-).

Pavel Rozalski
pavel@dgp.toronto.edu

edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) (04/28/89)

In article <296@alias.UUCP> rae@alias.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
>larry@zeus.UUCP (Larry Philps) writes:
>|Anybody else agree?  Maybe I will send a copy of my tirade to my MP.  His
>|garbage can is probably empty :-)
>
>Actually, has anyone given consideration to the idea of putting our
>illustrious MP's and MPP's "on the net" so to speak?  Then we could send all
>our harangues off to brian@pmo.p-hill.ottawa.on.ca :-)
>					Reid

Yes.  Here's a copy (I really shy away from a repost, but it's applicable)

} From: eah@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) Sat Mar 11 02:29:19 1989
} Newsgroups: can.politics
} Subject: Access to our Political "Leaders" via the Net
}
	<original reason for this followup posting omitted>

} I wish you weren't joking!  For the last couple of years (well maybe 3 or 4)
} I've been of the opinion that if we _did_ have access to our politicians via
} the "Net" in it's various incarnations, better communications could not help
} but result.
}
} As a citizen, I have on occasion spoken directly to my MP (and MPP, as the
} case warranted), but have always found it a bit difficult to reach the
} "powers that be".  How much simpler it would be if only we *could* simply
} address our opinion to brianm@uottawa!parliament!toryvax.  !!  (Purists,
} please forgive my mixing of bang paths and internet addressing.  I know
} half the hosts have mailers that choke on such improprieties.)
}
} It seems that the ability to quickly address a few lines of text to my
} MP (or PM) would facilitate communication in a somewhat greater fashion
} than having to go looking for a Canada Post mailbox at 2 a.m.
}
} In that vein, I shall go so far as to here and now offer a can.politics
} news feed to every elected member of federal and provincial parliament
} in my local calling area.  All they have to do is to implement about
} $2000.CDN worth of hardware (a simple IBM AT will do), and about another
} $1000.CDN for a decent o/s.  That's a lot less then I see constantly wasted
} by these same politicians on other items I consider more frivolous.
}
} I'll forward email to/from them as well.  Sometimes (often) it seems that
} the only times they concern themselves with "public opinion" is when an
} election is in the offing.  Perhaps we can change that.  Am I being somewhat
} too idealistic?
}
} Would anyone else controlling a nethost care to get involved in such a
} project?  If so, I will gladly accept email on the topic, and if sufficient
} interest is shown post a summary to the net.
}
} [Now I have to print this out, do a covering letter to my MP, and (yuk)
}  use Canada Post to get it to him!]		--ed
}
} 	{edhew@egvideo.uucp 	-or-	....uunet!watmath!egvideo!edhew}
}

Well, in the 1.5 months that have elapsed, I have had 0 (count 'em)
interest factor on this topic.  I would very much prefer the opposite.

Perhaps apathy ate my original posting and SnailCan ate my hard copy?

My offer still stands.		--ed

  Ed. A. Hew	       Technical Trainer	       Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
  home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!

danny@yunccn.UUCP (Danny Zabelishenesky) (05/03/89)

In article <2003@egvideo.UUCP>, edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) writes:
> In article <296@alias.UUCP> rae@alias.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
> >larry@zeus.UUCP (Larry Philps) writes:
[deleted]
> >Actually, has anyone given consideration to the idea of putting our
> >illustrious MP's and MPP's "on the net" so to speak?  Then we could sendall
> >our harangues off to brian@pmo.p-hill.ottawa.on.ca :-)
> >                      Reid
>
> Yes.  Here's a copy
[deleted]
> } [offering free can.politics newsfeed to any elected politician in
> }  the area who is willing to invest about $3,000 in hardware & software]
> Well, in the 1.5 months that have elapsed, I have had 0 (count 'em)
> interest factor on this topic.  I would very much prefer the opposite.
>
> Perhaps apathy ate my original posting and SnailCan ate my hard copy?
>
> My offer still stands.      --ed

One political party which would probably _welcome_ this idea is the
Green Party.  In fact, Greens have had to use computer networks to get
their national and international associations going.  This saves
transportation energy (fewer conventions), and saves money as well
(election laws are notoriously bad at compensating minority parties in
many places).

Many Greens in Canada are using the Web system, run by Toronto's Nirv
Non-Profit.  Many are also using Telecom Canada's Envoy100, and the
FIDOnet system.  Here are selected Green contact persons reacheable by email,
mostly based on _Canadian Green Parties Contacts_, March 4, 1989 Edition (email
me for a copy):

_National_

Networking Coordinator: Michael Tegtmeyer         rgpo@web.UUCP
                                                  Envoy100: green.log

Executive Secretary: Steve Kisby                  Envoy100: steve.kisby

Election Coordinator: Seymour Trieger             Envoy100: seymour.trieger

     [Editor's Note: Seymour Trieger was actually our "National Leader"
     during the 1988 Federal Elections. The quotation marks signify the Greens'
     general unease with the "Leader" concept which the Canada Elections Act
     forces on us. We're for participatory democracy, you see, and have a
     natural desire to empower _everybody_ to participate on the decision-
     making process. If the proverbial Martian landed on our ideal planet and
     asked "Take me to your Leader," he/she/it would probably be laughed at.
     "Take me to your General Meeting" would work much better. In the real
     world, however, we are forced to compromise. For more info, come to any
     Green Party meeting and pick up a copy of our Constitution, or cotact any
     person on this list (each one is almost guaranteed to give you a different
     philosophical view on the "Leadership" issue :-). --D.Z.]

_B.C. Greens_

External Liason, Vancouver & Area Chapter: Stuart Hertzog   stuart@web.UUCP

Ecofeminist Caucus, Nanaimo Contact Person: Helen Martin
                                   FIDOnet 1:153/197 user "Helen Martin"
            [Koyaanisqatsi BBS, Nanaimo, B.C. By Modem: (604) 390-3842]

_Alberta_

Northern Alberta Greens Contact Person: Vic Yanda      Envoy100: vic.yanda

_Ontario Greens_

Toronto Chapter Contact: Chris Lea           Envoy100: to.green

York University Greens Spokeseperson: Danny Zabelishensky
                                             danny@yunccn.UUCP  <preferred>
                                             dzab@web.UUCP
                                             CompuServe: 70307,504

McMaster/Wesdale Chapter (Hamilton): Chapter Electronic Address
   FIDOnet 148/252 msg area "Politics/debate" subsection "Wesdale Greens"
                         [By Modem: (416) 336-0075, 300/1200/2400 baud]

_Prince Edward Island Greens_

P.E.I. Greens Contact Person: David (Lobie) Daughton   holland@web.UUCP
                    <indicate "c/o David Daughton" in the message body>

The Spring 1989 issue of _Ontario Green News_ contains an interesting article
on computer democracy. Please email me for a copy (I could upload it to the net
if there is sufficient interest).

--Danny Z.

P.S. I will be away from any net.access point between May 5 - approx.
June 16 '89. Please send all responses (or copies) to my email address,
and I promise to answer them all when I get back.
--
NOTE: The views expressed in this article are my own, and do not
      necessarilly represent those of anyone else.