[ont.general] Good Drivers

jmm@ecijmm.UUCP (05/13/89)

In article <579@censor.UUCP> jeff@censor.UUCP writes:

>	In the middle of this "I'm ok, but there's real bozo's out there"
>discussion I'd like to bring up the (possibly apochryphal) study that found:
>
>	80% of all drivers classify themselves as being "above average"

>	Just for the record I'm a below average driver, but I compensate
>by driving defensively and carefully. (So I guess that makes me better than
>most out there. :-)

Certainly more objective...

Would anyone care to comment on "What attributes make an above average driver?"

I would start by saying that a slavish obedience of any and all traffic
laws at all times is not a sufficient answer.  There are definitely
times where a good driver breaks a traffic law - for example, I often
choose to NOT signal a turn when it is more likely to be misinterpreted
then properly understood.  (The above statement is absolutely not the same
as any sort of claim that traffic laws should be regularily and studiously
broken.  Following traffic laws unless you have a good reason not to is
a good start to driving well -- sort of like not using goto statements unless
you know that this is one of the few exceptions is a good start towards
programming well, but it is not the whole story.)

I think that the most important attribute of a good driver is "road sense".
This includes having a mental picture of all the cars in your vicinity,
including their relative speed, acceleration and any actions suggesting
possible sudden changes.  (Vicinity is relative - it includes oncoming
traffic for a long distance away.)  This mental picture should be good
enough that at all times you *KNOW* whether a lane change is safe,
possible, dangerous, or certain to cause an accident and whether this
status is about to change.  (That does not mean that a lane change without
looking should be done casually, just because it is known to be safe, but
rather if an emergency occurs you shouldn't have to start worrying about
whether there is a car in your blind spot - you should know.)  This mental
picture should include projections of what the current trends mean - what
problems (e.g. congestion) are impending from the current actions, along
with a consideration of how these problems relate to your own position.

For example, when a car is catching up to you rapidly, you should almost
always be able to arrange to pull over to let them be at the moment they
catch up, yet not have to drastically slow down while they are passing you.
This might mean speeding up before they catch you so that you will be
at a clear spot, or alternately slowing down to let them pass you before
you reach a congested spot.
--
John Macdonald