[ont.general] Highway Driving Rules

malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) (04/06/89)

Are the `lane discipline' rules for driving on multi-lane highways
a matter of law in Ontario, or of recommended driving habits only? By
`lane discipline' I mean the rules including but not necessarily limited to:

1) overtake only on the left;
2) use the left-most lane for active passing only;
3) move right when approached from behind (even when not in the
   left-most lane);
4) yield or claim right-of-way at merge (actually I know this is in the
   HTA: the traffic flow and the merge flow have equal responsibility to
   ensure even merging);
5) limit speed on ramps (I believe the orange `ramp speed NN' signs are
   warning only; some ramps have white legal speed-limits instead,
   as on the 400 at Gravenhurst);
6) flash high-beams to communicate with other drivers (as in
   `You should move out of my way', or `I am going to pass you now' or
   `You are welcome to move in ahead of me now');
7) signal lane changes.

These questions came up during an over-coffee-in-the-lounge discussion.
Anybody know answers for sure?

(In Great Britain (1) and (2) are matters of law. In Europe (3) is a
de facto necessity. I've found in European highway driving that 1-3 are
observed universally anyway; in Ontario it's commonplace to be overtaken
on both sides at once (I drive in the middle lane where possible).)

I think (7) is a trick question. Does the HTA *ever* require signals?

Andrew Malton

yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) (04/06/89)

In article <8904061731.AA21685@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu> malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) writes:
>Are the `lane discipline' rules for driving on multi-lane highways
>a matter of law in Ontario, or of recommended driving habits only? By
>`lane discipline' I mean the rules including but not necessarily limited to:
>
>1) overtake only on the left;
>2) use the left-most lane for active passing only;
>3) move right when approached from behind (even when not in the
>   left-most lane);
>6) flash high-beams to communicate with other drivers (as in
>   `You should move out of my way', or `I am going to pass you now' or
>   `You are welcome to move in ahead of me now');
>7) signal lane changes.

	Geeeezzzz, I wish more people would abide by these rules.  It's
	amazing how many imbeciles I've come across (especially on the
	401 - only two lanes) that don't.  I'm very careful and have no
	reservations about slowing down before a dangerous situation
	arises, but it's very annoying.  Just because you're travelling
	at 140 km/hr doesn't give you the right to claim the left lane
	- someone (like me!) may still want to pass you!-)

>Andrew Malton

Davin Yap.

brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) (04/07/89)

In article <8904061731.AA21685@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu> malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) writes:
>Are the `lane discipline' rules for driving on multi-lane highways
>a matter of law in Ontario, or of recommended driving habits only? By
>`lane discipline' I mean the rules including but not necessarily limited to:
>
>1) overtake only on the left;
>2) use the left-most lane for active passing only;

Aren't 1) and 2) here pretty much the same? I mean, if you're overtaking
on the left your obviously passing on the left.
In either case, I think the "left lane is passing lane" is a law w.r.t two
lane highways, but not multi-lane highways.

>3) move right when approached from behind (even when not in the
>   left-most lane);

I always do this, lest I get hit.  There are some pretty aggressive drivers
on the road, and I *always* move right when some jerk is approaching from
behind at 4 times the speed limit.  I just like to give them more room to
kill themselves.

>4) yield or claim right-of-way at merge (actually I know this is in the
>   HTA: the traffic flow and the merge flow have equal responsibility to
>   ensure even merging);

Ok.. If I am merging into traffic, I tend to get aggressive and like to
time my entry with a moving space.  If I am in traffic that someone is trying
to merge into, I will often move one lane away from the point of merge,
giving the other guy a hole to merge into.  It also prevents someone from
merging right into me.

>5) limit speed on ramps (I believe the orange `ramp speed NN' signs are
>   warning only; some ramps have white legal speed-limits instead,
>   as on the 400 at Gravenhurst);

Yep.. the orange signs are warnings of a safe speed, usually with a wide
margin.  With todays cars you can often exceed the posted yellow speeds
by 10  to 15 kilometers an hour, and still feel safe.  If you like the
feeling of centrifigul force, you can try it a little faster still :-)
My understanding is that the legal limit is still the last white sign you
saw.

>6) flash high-beams to communicate with other drivers (as in
>   `You should move out of my way', or `I am going to pass you now' or

Gawd... I *hate* drivers who do this.  Makes me feel like they think they
own the road.  I *do not* think this is in the HTA.  I certainly hope not.

>   `You are welcome to move in ahead of me now');

This is better.  And I often practice it.  Again, probably not law.

>7) signal lane changes.

I think this is in the HTA, because you can get a ticket for "failing
to signal" and the ticket stubs usually make reference to some section of
the HTA.

>These questions came up during an over-coffee-in-the-lounge discussion.
>Anybody know answers for sure?

Well, not really for sure, but they are my opinions.

>(In Great Britain (1) and (2) are matters of law. In Europe (3) is a
>de facto necessity. I've found in European highway driving that 1-3 are
>observed universally anyway; in Ontario it's commonplace to be overtaken
>on both sides at once (I drive in the middle lane where possible).)
>
>I think (7) is a trick question. Does the HTA *ever* require signals?

Yes... there are some sections of the HTA where signal placement, size
(and brightness?, I don't remember) are explicitly specified.  I would
think that to go into this great a detail about the physical properties
of the signals, and then not to mention their use would be silly.

>Andrew Malton

Brian.

--
 +-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
 | Brian Onn         | UUCP:..!{uunet!attcan, watmath!utai}!lsuc!ncrcan!brian |

john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) (04/07/89)

In article <8904061731.AA21685@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu>
  malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) writes:
>Are the `lane discipline' rules for driving on multi-lane highways
>a matter of law in Ontario, or of recommended driving habits only? By
>`lane discipline' I mean the rules including but not necessarily limited to:
>
>1) overtake only on the left;

According to that booklet that's supposed to teach people how to
drive in Ontario, passing is permitted only on the left, except
where there are lane markings dividing traffic into two or more
lanes, or where the passee is making a left turn.

John

--
john j. chew, iii   		  phone: +1 416 425 3818     AppleLink: CDA0329
trigraph, inc., toronto, canada   {uunet!utai!utcsri,utgpu,utzoo}!trigraph!john

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (04/07/89)

You forgot the Ontario special:

	Roar up behind someone who is going at the speed limit (but
	in the leftmost lane) and flash your lights for them to move
	over, knowing full well that you are within half a car length
	of them and there are three semis in the next lane to the
	right so they cannot possibly get out of your way.

john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) (04/07/89)

In article <8904061731.AA21685@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu>
malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) asked about the legal
standing of lane discipline rules.

...which made me think about the fun I've had driving in and around
Cancun, Mexico, where `discipline' and `rules' do not seem to have
much to do with driving.  Some of the signalling protocols that are
widely used down there are interesting though:

1) If your right turn signal is flashing, it indicates that you are
   inviting the person behind you to overtake you on the left, on
   a two-lane undivided highway.

2) When two cars approach a one lane constriction from opposite
   directions, the first one to flash its headlights has right of way.

Signal #1 seems like a useful sort of thing to have.  The nearest
thing to it that we have is the use of four-way flashers to indicate
a vehicle travelling substantially below ambient speed, but in Mexico
I'd signal right even if I were travelling a good forty or fifty
km/h above the nominal speed limit and I saw someone approaching
rapidly in my rear-view mirror (a common occurrence).  The problem
of course is that the turn signal is also used to signal a turn.
Thus if you see a right turn signal flashing, it means either "go
ahead and pass me, I won't try to race you and I don't see any
oncoming traffic" or "I'm just making a right turn and I wouldn't
try to overtake me right now because there's a tanker truck behind
a school bus full of nuns barrelling towards us at 150 km/h".  I
suspect that this is probably the reason for the large number of
really messy high speed head-on collisions on the highway south
of Cancun.

Signal #2 is also nice, though it seems to be the opposite of
usage hereabouts, where we flash headlights to yield rather than
claim right of way.  It also makes for nice games of chicken
where two drivers will repeatedly flash headlights at each other
trying to claim right of way until one of them gives in.

Does anyone know of any other regional or national variations
in signalling?

John

--

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (04/07/89)

In article <8904061731.AA21685@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu> malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) writes:
>Are the `lane discipline' rules for driving on multi-lane highways
>a matter of law in Ontario, or of recommended driving habits only? By
>`lane discipline' I mean the rules including but not necessarily limited to:
>
>6) flash high-beams to communicate with other drivers (as in
>   `You should move out of my way', or `I am going to pass you now' or
>   `You are welcome to move in ahead of me now');
>7) signal lane changes.

8) Turn on headlamps after speed trap to warn approaching drivers.

(I think that's in the HTA)
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (04/08/89)

In article <1342@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) writes:
>My understanding is that the legal limit is still the last white sign you
>saw.

Much as I might like this, and might claim it in court, I suspect the
HTA actually says something like `the last white sign you PASSED'.  :-)

../Dave

dave@lethe.UUCP (Dave Brown) (04/08/89)

In article <1342@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) writes:
>In article <8904061731.AA21685@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu> malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) writes:
>>Are the `lane discipline' rules for driving on multi-lane highways
>>a matter of law in Ontario, or of recommended driving habits only?

>>6) flash high-beams to communicate with other drivers (as in
>>   `You should move out of my way', or `I am going to pass you now' or
>Gawd... I *hate* drivers who do this.  Makes me feel like they think they
>own the road.  I *do not* think this is in the HTA.  I certainly hope not.

  Relax, it isn't. It's a european convention, much like the southwestern-
ontario trick of driving with parking lights on in reduced visibility.

>>   `You are welcome to move in ahead of me now');
>This is better.  And I often practice it.  Again, probably not law.

  You can also flip your lights on and off: it is just as noticable, but
less annoying.  Ie, it gets better results (:-))
--
David Collier-Brown,  | {toronto area...}lethe!dave
78 Hillcrest Ave.,    |  Joyce C-B:

cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA (Stephen M. Dunn) (04/09/89)

In article <1342@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) writes:
>In article <8904061731.AA21685@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu> malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) writes:
>>5) limit speed on ramps (I believe the orange `ramp speed NN' signs are
>>   warning only; some ramps have white legal speed-limits instead,
>>   as on the 400 at Gravenhurst);
>
>Yep.. the orange signs are warnings of a safe speed, usually with a wide
>margin.  With todays cars you can often exceed the posted yellow speeds
>by 10  to 15 kilometers an hour, and still feel safe.  If you like the
>feeling of centrifigul force, you can try it a little faster still :-)
>My understanding is that the legal limit is still the last white sign you
>saw.

Of course, one must be rather more careful in bad weather.  When I was
taking Driver's Ed, I asked my instructor this one day and he said that
they were legal limits.  Now, if this were true, it makes one wonder why
they bother with a different colour sign.

But anyway, it doesn't really matter whether you go faster than the speed
on the sign anyway.  After all, most people do this when there are the
white, "definitely-a-legal-speed-limit" signs around, so why shouldn't
they do the same when the sign is of questionable legal force?

>>6) flash high-beams to communicate with other drivers (as in
>>   `You should move out of my way', or `I am going to pass you now' or
>
>Gawd... I *hate* drivers who do this.  Makes me feel like they think they
>own the road.  I *do not* think this is in the HTA.  I certainly hope not.

Well, you may not like it, but sometimes it's necessary.  For example, let's
say you're on a two-lane highway and there's an idiot in the left-hand
lane going at exactly the same speed as the traffic in the right-hand lane.
What do you do to tell him to get the #$@* out of the way?  Tailgating is
not recommended, and besides which, if a driver is thick enough not to
realize that the car approaching him from behind probably wants to pass him,
he is probably thick enough not to get the hint from tailgating as long as
you don't actually hit him.  (Of course, if you _do_ hit him, you have an
even bigger problem)  So what else?  If you honk your horn at him, he'll
probably get pissed off at you and honk back, but once again he's probably
too stupid to realize why you were honking.  But high beams ... a momentary
flash is probably too short for an idiot to understand, but it generally
is the least obnoxious way of letting a sensible driver know.  And if the
driver _does_ turn out to be thick, you can just leave 'em on until he
is forced to get out of your lane to avoid them (:-).

Yes, I can see your point that high-beams can be annoying if the person
using them doesn't realize that a momentary flash is supposed to be short,
but I think they're quite useful for communicating with idiots.  And let's
face it - an alarmingly high number of drivers are idiots.

I would be very surprised if this one's in the HTA.

I'm sure that signals are mentioned in the HTA.  As Brian pointed out, you
get a ticket if you don't use them and the cops catch you, so they must be
required.

One thing I'd like to know is what we can do about cops who don't signal,
who speed from the cop shop to the donut shop, etc.  And don't say they
don't ... I live just about across the street from a police station, and
some of them could probably be given 20 or 30 demerit points for turning
out of the road leading to the station, driving 600m up the highway and
turning at the next lights.  Now, I'm not saying they _all_ break the law
(of course not), just that some of them do, which is not what you'd expect
from a body charged with upholding the law.

! Stephen M. Dunn, cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA ! DISCLAIMER:           !
! This space left unintentionally blank - vi ! I'm only an undergrad !

wside@maccs.McMaster.CA (Dawn Whiteside) (04/09/89)

In article <2375@maccs.McMaster.CA> cs3b3aj@maccs.UUCP (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>But high beams ... a momentary
>flash is probably too short for an idiot to understand, but it generally
>is the least obnoxious way of letting a sensible driver know.  And if the
>driver _does_ turn out to be thick, you can just leave 'em on until he
>is forced to get out of your lane to avoid them (:-).

Clearly, Mr. Dunn has never been blinded by a driver with bad manners
and misaligned high beams. There is a reason why it is illegal to use
high beams when following another vehicle within <insert distance from
the HTA here>: it could easily cause accidents.

Yes, I will usually get out of the way if I can (and generally, I can't
do so immediately) when some idiot flashes me, but that does not justify
his* action.

* Why are the obnoxious drivers I encounter consistently men?

In article <2381@maccs.McMaster.CA> wside@maccs.McMaster.CA (Dawn Whiteside) writes:
>Yes, I will usually get out of the way if I can (and generally, I can't
>do so immediately) when some idiot flashes me, but that does not justify
>his* action.

   Well, it's nice to see that you have a brain in your head.  But that
doesn't mean everybody does.  Don't tell me you've never been stuck behind
an idiot.

   Yes, high beams can be _quite_ an annoyance, but let's say you've driven up
behind somebody and they haven't moved out of the way (assuming it's
possible for them to do so) in what you consider a reasonable amount of
time.  What do you do?

>* Why are the obnoxious drivers I encounter consistently men?

   Isn't it funny ... why is it the person blocking the left lane usually
a woman?

mdfreed@ziebmef.uucp (Mark Freedman) (04/09/89)

In article <1989Apr7.180040.26023@tmsoft.uucp> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>In article <1342@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) writes:
>>My understanding is that the legal limit is still the last white sign you
>>saw.
>
>Much as I might like this, and might claim it in court, I suspect the
>HTA actually says something like `the last white sign you PASSED'.  :-)
>
>../Dave

   ***THAT*** explains why speed-limit signs are usually located behind trees, billboards or, if available, mailboxes :-)

mdfreed@ziebmef.uucp (Mark Freedman) (04/09/89)

(turn on headlamps after speed trap to warn approaching drivers)

    I had the impression that one could be charged with obstructing justice
(chortle ... obviously a definition of "justice" which differs from my own)
for warning speeding drivers about speed traps.
    The only case I can remember which is vaguely similar involved a man
convicted of obstructing justice after he warned a prospective client that
the "prostitute" with whom he was negotiating was actually a policewoman.

   I'd be interested to know whether warning motorists about a speed trap
would be treated in similar fashion.

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (04/09/89)

In article <1989Apr9.053207.2842@ziebmef.uucp> mdfreed@ziebmef.UUCP (Mark Freedman) writes:
>(turn on headlamps after speed trap to warn approaching drivers)
>
>    I had the impression that one could be charged with obstructing justice
>(chortle ... obviously a definition of "justice" which differs from my own)
>for warning speeding drivers about speed traps.

My driver's Ed. instructor told us that warning oncoming cars of a
speedtrap is, indeed, an obstruction of justice. She went on to give
a "what if" situation involving a relative of yours also on the road
who gets hit by the speeding maniac (not caught by police) because
he slowed down at the speed-trap.

Kinda makes sense to me.
--
Doug Eastick	eastick@me.UTORONTO.BITNET	UUCP: ...!utai!me!eastick
		eastick@me.toronto.edu

howard@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Howard Lem) (04/10/89)

In article <8904061731.AA21685@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu> malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) writes:
>Are the `lane discipline' rules for driving on multi-lane highways
>a matter of law in Ontario, or of recommended driving habits only? By
>`lane discipline' I mean the rules including but not necessarily limited to:

I just happen to have a copy of the Ont. HTA here.  It's slightly out of date;
but it should be reasonably accurate.
>1) overtake only on the left;
>2) use the left-most lane for active passing only;
Passing on the right is allowed in certain cases.  You can pass on the right
if a) car other car is turning, or about to. b) on a highway where there is
sufficient width for 2 or more lines of vehicles in each direction. c) on a
higway designated for use of one-way traffic(divided highway.)  (Sec. 100.1 &
100.2 of the HTA of Ontario.)
>3) move right when approached from behind (even when not in the
>   left-most lane);
"Any vehicle proceeding upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic
at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall when
practicable be driven in the right hand lane then available for traffic
or as close as practicicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway
except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same
direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a
private road or driveway"  (Quoted from Sec. 97 of the HTA.)
My loose interpretation is that one should keep to the right as possible,
if possible.  Of course, problems arise when two or more people have
different interpretations.
>4) yield or claim right-of-way at merge (actually I know this is in the
>   HTA: the traffic flow and the merge flow have equal responsibility to
>   ensure even merging);
Right again. (Sec. 90.1)
>5) limit speed on ramps (I believe the orange `ramp speed NN' signs are
>   warning only; some ramps have white legal speed-limits instead,
>   as on the 400 at Gravenhurst);
Right.  Reg. 425 deals specifically with signs.  Basic sign must be 24"wx30"h
the word maximum must be 4"h & numeral are 12"h.
>6) flash high-beams to communicate with other drivers (as in
>   `You should move out of my way', or `I am going to pass you now' or
>   `You are welcome to move in ahead of me now');
This seems to be something that is a 'courtesy'.
>7) signal lane changes.
Yes, It's a must. (Sec. 94.1)

--
      .signature follows!  use the n key if you don't want to see it :-)

<<<<<<<<<========= ALL Usual disclaimers go here :-) =========>>>>>>>>>
Canada Post:  Howard Lem - University of Toronto Computing Services
              11 King's College Rd., Room 107A
              Toronto, Ont., Canada,  M5S 1A1
Telephone: (416) - 978 - 4310 {work}
Email: howard@gpu.utcs.uucp

mdf@ziebmef.uucp (Matthew Francey) (04/10/89)

In article <451@trigraph.UUCP>, john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) writes:

> 1) If your right turn signal is flashing, it indicates that you are
>    inviting the person behind you to overtake you on the left, on
>    a two-lane undivided highway.

  If you attend the races at Mosport (perhaps other tracks too, I wouldn't
know), a variation of this rule seems to be in effect, ie, a left-turn
signal is an invitation to pass on the left.  Wonder why they invert things?
But #1 is a Good Idea.  It means I wouldn't have to use my arm to wave 'em
past me...

  And I have read that using your left turn signal while behind someone in
the left lane is a request for them to change lanes.

  What p*sses me off the most are high beams, or mal-aligned headlights.
If only I had a pellet gun, and could aim it accurately while on the bike...
--
Name: Matthew Francey			 Address: N43o34'13.5" W79o34'33.3" 86m
mdf@ziebmef.UUCP		  uunet!utgpu!{ontmoh!moore,ncrcan}!ziebmef!mdf

hpchang@rose.waterloo.edu (Hsi P. Chang) (04/10/89)

cs3b3aj@maccs.UUCP (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:

>   Yes, high beams can be _quite_ an annoyance, but let's say you've driven up
>behind somebody and they haven't moved out of the way (assuming it's
>possible for them to do so) in what you consider a reasonable amount of
>time.  What do you do?

There are other alternatives than flashing the high beam into the other
drivers eyes. I like to think that flashing the high beam is reserved for
emergency warning situation (ie. Your tire is blown, your baby is about to crawl
out of the backseat window, etc). There are alternatives to flashing the
high beam:

	1) Turn your lights on and off (Or off and on when dark)
	2) Signal LEFT (On the left lane, of course)
	3) Change lane (Passing on the right is possible!)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
hpchang@rose.waterloo.{edu,cdn}		Hsi P. Chang
hpchang@rose.uwaterloo.ca		3B Computer Science, Co-op.
uunet!watmath!rose!hpchang		University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Pbageby-k vf sbe vqvbgf

murray@sq.com (Murray Maloney) (04/10/89)

In my travels throughout North America, I noted that the drivers in
Houston, Texas are the most likely to follow rules of highway driving.
I was able to get from the far left lane to an exit ramp at the far right
by simply indicating my desire to do so.  Traffic opened up for me,
and I slid over with ease.  I was impressed.

In Ontario, the highway signs read:

	SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT

It's just my opinion, but I suspect that there is a disproportionate
number of dyslexics in Toronto.  'Cos everyone seems to think that
they should be travelling in the left lane.

clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) (04/10/89)

Gee, we're really having fun here with this topic, aren't we?  Here's my
contribution:

Somebody said he was annoyed by high beams flashed to say, "I'm about to
pass you."  This indeed seems unnecessary on busy divided highways, but
on two-lane roads that are only intermittently used -- the situation where
this custom arose, I presume -- it's a very useful custom.  If you've
been following a car for quite a while, waiting for a chance to pass,
the driver you're following doesn't really have a way of knowing when
you're going to judge it's safe to overtake, so he/she really does learn
something from the flashed beams.  Also, if both drivers do it right,
there's a carefully-timed sequence of beam up and down changes to make
sure that nobody's blinded and that the driver in front can see the
upcoming curves, bumps, etc.  The sequence is done better by drivers
who are awake, as they might be after the warning flash.

Things are really very different on two-lane roads from four-lane ones.
And I notice that a lot of drivers now seem not to know how to deal with
the two-lane situation, at least in the areas around Toronto where I
get a chance to watch.  Maybe in northern Ontario the old skills are still
alive.

My gosh, I sound old.
--
Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

dave@sq.com (David Seaman) (04/10/89)

In article <1989Apr7.180040.26023@tmsoft.uucp> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>In article <1342@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) writes:
>>My understanding is that the legal limit is still the last white sign you
>>saw.
>
>Much as I might like this, and might claim it in court, I suspect the
>HTA actually says something like `the last white sign you PASSED'.  :-)

I have always wondered about this one. I am sure there are a few
cases in which you can get off of a highway onto city streets
without seeing er..passing a 50km posting. Even more so switching
from a 60km zone onto a side street.

I always assumed that this was covered by the "unless otherwise posted, the
speed limit is" law that is found within most municipalities. And
that most speed traps are setup by the police near a posted sign.

>../Dave
!!

dclyons@ai.toronto.edu ("Daniel C. Lyons") (04/10/89)

I was under the impression that it is AGAINST the law to flash your
high beams at another driver.

Dan Lyons

schow@bnr-public.uucp (Stanley Chow) (04/11/89)

In article <13189@watdragon.waterloo.edu> hpchang@rose.waterloo.edu (Hsi P. Chang) writes:

>There are other alternatives than flashing the high beam into the other
>drivers eyes. I like to think that flashing the high beam is reserved for
>emergency warning situation (ie. Your tire is blown, your baby is about to crawl
>out of the backseat window, etc). There are alternatives to flashing the
>high beam:
>
>	1) Turn your lights on and off (Or off and on when dark)
>	2) Signal LEFT (On the left lane, of course)
>	3) Change lane (Passing on the right is possible!)

I was under the impression that turning off your light means your are *yielding*
regardless of the right of way. (As least it is in England). The times that I
have seen people do it here, they also seemed to be yielding.

Stanley Chow    ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!schow%bnr-public
		(613) 763-2831

No one is responsible for my opinions, not even me.

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (04/11/89)

>>   `You are welcome to move in ahead of me now');
>You can also flip your lights on and off

If you watch trucks and/or buses at night (and in the day, but it's
not as obvious), you'll notice that toggling headlights is the
convention for "you're passed me now, it is safe to change back
into my lane" i.e. at night, the overtaken truck will turn off
its headlights (leaving all other lights on of course) and the
overtaking truck will change back into that lane.  Then the
overtaking truck will flash some lights, often marker or four way
lights, to say thank you.

As for being able to go "10 or even 15 km/h" over the warning limit
on ramps - the real challenge is trying to double the warning limit,
though this gets a little harder when the yellow sign says "80" :-)

tpc@bnr-fos.UUCP (Tom Chmara) (04/11/89)

In article <8904101406.AA16291@king.csri.toronto.edu> clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) writes:
>Things are really very different on two-lane roads from four-lane ones.
>And I notice that a lot of drivers now seem not to know how to deal with
>the two-lane situation, at least in the areas around Toronto where I
>get a chance to watch.  Maybe in northern Ontario the old skills are still
>alive.

Being from North Bay, and having driven thru a fair amount of N. Ontario,
I can safely say that things are worse now than they used to be.  My father
(now retired -- geez, he STILL smiles when he says that!) drove ~20K miles
per year through N. Ontario (mining consulting), covering lots of the
province, has noticed a steady deterioration of the driving abilities of
northerners.  Especially with respect to maintaining speed on the roadway
(i.e. not doing 60 in an 80) and making all your movements SMOOTH.  Too damned
many white-knuckle drivers out there.

>My gosh, I sound old.

Oh?  I can't hear you from here.  Must be creaking knees :-)

	---tpc---
--
I am sole owner of the above opinions. Licensing inquiries welcome.
Tom Chmara			UUCP:  ..utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!tpc

cebly@ai.toronto.edu (Craig Boutilier) (04/11/89)

In article <1989Apr7.180040.26023@tmsoft.uucp> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>In article <1342@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) writes:
>>My understanding is that the legal limit is still the last white sign you
>>saw.
>Much as I might like this, and might claim it in court, I suspect the
>HTA actually says something like `the last white sign you PASSED'.  :-)

I'm not a native, but aren't there such beasts as "prima facie" speed
limits in Ontario? There certainly are in Nova Scotia, since I've
received the odd speeding ticket for exceeding these limits!
Off-ramps, city streets, and all sorts of other places have
speed limits which need not be posted. You're just supposed to
know. For instance, coming off a highway on my bike and travelling
a curved section of road (not exactly a
ramp) which led to another highway, I used the
excuse that since the speed limit on both highways was 100km/h
and no signs were posted on this road I was on, I was quite
justified in my speed (actually, it may have been a little
higher than 100:-). It didn't work, and I was charged with
exceeding the prima facie speed limit (which was 50 or 70 for
that little section).

Craig Boutilier

ross@aimed.UUCP (Ross Morrissey) (04/12/89)

In England, flashing high beams as a courtesy is a hardware feature; if your
headlights are off, they are flashed on while the high beam control is depressed

--
Ross Morrissey          uunet!mnetor!aimed!ross
AIM Inc.                ross@aimed.UUCP

"Forgive me, I'm just a PICK programmer..."

ntt@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (04/12/89)

In article <9111@watcgl.waterloo.edu> ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) writes:
>You forgot the Ontario special:
>
>	Roar up behind someone who is going at the speed limit (but
>	in the leftmost lane) and flash your lights for them to move
>	over, knowing full well that you are within half a car length
>	of them and there are three semis in the next lane to the
>	right so they cannot possibly get out of your way.

To which I always apply the following line of reasoning:
   This guy wants to get by me.
   My right side is blocked so I can't change lanes.
   I'm already going the speed limit so advancing would be illegal (-:
   Only alternative:
         Apply the brakes until I've dropped back enough to move to the
          right lane.

And people actually get upset at me for giving them what they want!  Can
you imagine that??  (-:

--- Kevin, previously a Waterloo student, now moved into the world of fast
    cars and slow driving.

pete@uotcsi2.UUCP (Peter Hickey) (04/12/89)

In article <8904061731.AA21685@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu> malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) writes:
>Are the `lane discipline' rules for driving on multi-lane highways
>a matter of law in Ontario, or of recommended driving habits only? By
>`lane discipline' I mean the rules including but not necessarily limited to:
>
>1) overtake only on the left;
>2) use the left-most lane for active passing only;
>3) move right when approached from behind (even when not in the
>   left-most lane);
>                      .
>                      .
>                      .
>Andrew Malton

I find that interresting that somebody from Toronto would notice this.
I live in Quebec.  There is a (two lane each direction) on which I
often drive.  From time to time, I find a slow driver in the left lane.
Sometimes people pass him/her on the right, but usually not.  An interesting
thing that I notice is that 80% of the time, the car has Ont. plates.
This number is fairly accurate, because it interested me, and I started
keeping notes on it.

Don't flame me about Quebec drivers being the worst.  I'm not saying that
they're any better, I'm just saying that that pass (and let pass) on the
left.

--
                    Pete Hickey    (613 564-5420)
                    University of Ottawa

il@csri.toronto.edu (Indra Laksono) (04/13/89)

>In article <2381@maccs.McMaster.CA> wside@maccs.McMaster.CA (Dawn Whiteside) writes:
>>Yes, I will usually get out of the way if I can (and generally, I can't
>>do so immediately) when some idiot flashes me, but that does not justify
>>his* action.
>
>   Well, it's nice to see that you have a brain in your head.  But that
>doesn't mean everybody does.  Don't tell me you've never been stuck behind
>an idiot.
>
>   Yes, high beams can be _quite_ an annoyance, but let's say you've driven up
>behind somebody and they haven't moved out of the way (assuming it's
>possible for them to do so) in what you consider a reasonable amount of
>time.  What do you do?
>
>>* Why are the obnoxious drivers I encounter consistently men?
>
>   Isn't it funny ... why is it the person blocking the left lane usually
>a woman?
>--
>! Stephen M. Dunn, cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA ! DISCLAIMER:           !
>! This space left unintentionally blank - vi ! I'm only an undergrad !

It really is unfortunate that the government is planning to
lower insurance premiums for people in Mr. Dunn's age group.
used to always sympathize with the amount people below 23 have
to pay to drive a car, but judging from this immature posting,
if the majority of youths under 23 are like Mr. Dunn here, then
my sympathies must have been misplaced.

Mr. Dunn, your letter shows that there is a problem with your
attitude towards driving.  When you get in any vehicle, the idea
is to get on the road, and get off as quickly and safely as possible.
If you happen to enjoy the journey, fine.  But you do not do so
at the expense of others, and you certainly are not there to show
off your great driving skills, or how fast your car can go.
If you think you have more right to use the road than others,
remember that you probably have less right to ownership of
the road than someone who pays his taxes, someone like your
parents.

So to other people on the net who face an increase in premiums,
do you think it is fair that people like us are subsidizing
Mr. Dunn's insurance premiums?

...........................................    `      |-
Indra Laksono                                 ----    ---,
University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4          `'        |
...........................................  ------   ---'
il@theory.toronto.edu, il@theory.toronto.cdn  ,---.   |
il%theory.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net            |---|   |-
{uunet,watmath}!theory.toronto.edu!il         |---|   |-
...........................................   |   |   |-
					      '   ;   `___,

pt@geovision.uucp (Paul Tomblin) (04/13/89)

In article <1989Apr9.051842.2600@ziebmef.uucp> mdfreed@ziebmef.UUCP (Mark Freedman) writes:
>In article <1989Apr7.180040.26023@tmsoft.uucp> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>>In article <1342@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) writes:
>>>My understanding is that the legal limit is still the last white sign you
>>>saw.
>>Much as I might like this, and might claim it in court, I suspect the
>>HTA actually says something like `the last white sign you PASSED'.  :-)
>   ***THAT*** explains why speed-limit signs are usually located behind trees, billboards or, if available, mailboxes :-)

Actually, as well as signed speed limits, there are also defaults.  I forget
the actual numbers, but a rural road without speed limit signs is considered
to have a speed limit of 80km/h, and an urban road has a default of
50km/h.  I guess that means if you turn off one type on to another, the
speed limit is no longer controlled by the last sign you saw, but rather
by the default limit for the new type, until you see otherwise.

Special Disclaimer:
Just because I spent 5 years in Highway design for the Ministry of
Transportation and Communications doesn't mean I understand or even obey
the HTA!

As a followup to another thread of this discussion:
Why is it that anybody who doesn't drive like you is an idiot.  I.e. I
think people a) who don't move over the the furthest right lane they can,
b) who don't signal, and c) who don't make use of opportunities are idiots.
Other people probably think I'm a) a speed demon, b) crazy (because I
assume you're going to do what you are saying you're going to do), and
c) pushy.

--
Paul Tomblin,  First Officer, Golgafrinchan B Ark       | PANIC - Bad Neuron
    UUCP:   nrcaer!cognos!geovision!pt ??               | address list.

sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu (S. Crispin Cowan) (04/13/89)

In article <8904122324.AA16146@yorkmills.csri.toronto.edu> il@csri.toronto.edu (Indra Laksono) writes:
<
[discussion on the merrits of high-beams/asking slow left-laner's to
get out of the way]
<<   Isn't it funny ... why is it the person blocking the left lane usually
<<a woman?
<<--
<<======================================================================
<<! Stephen M. Dunn, cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA ! DISCLAIMER:           !
<<! This space left unintentionally blank - vi ! I'm only an undergrad !
<<======================================================================
<<
<<
<It really is unfortunate that the government is planning to
<lower insurance premiums for people in Mr. Dunn's age group.
[personal attacks on Mr. Dunn's driving habits]
<So to other people on the net who face an increase in premiums,
<do you think it is fair that people like us are subsidizing
<Mr. Dunn's insurance premiums?
Better than subsidizing those who drive slower-than-ambient-traffic in
the left lane.  This causes accidents as other frustrated drivers do
dangerous things to get around them.  As a side effect the slow
drivers who caused the hazard in the first place are not involved in
the accident, and thus their insurance/points are unaffected, so they
continue to go about causing hazards.

<...........................................    `      |-
<...........................................  ------   ---'
<il@theory.toronto.edu, il@theory.toronto.cdn  ,---.   |
<il%theory.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net            |---|   |-
<{uunet,watmath}!theory.toronto.edu!il         |---|   |-
<...........................................   |   |   |-
<					      '   ;   `___,

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (04/14/89)

In article <2097@lethe.UUCP>, dave@lethe.UUCP (Dave Brown) writes:
>   You can also flip your lights on and off: it is just as noticable, but
> less annoying.  Ie, it gets better results (:-))

Or flip them off and on, if you drive with them on full time.

Speaking of which, I think the first batch of cars wired for full-time
driving lights are now on the roads.  Has anybody noticed that some new
cars seem to be cruising around with the *inner* set of headlights on?
Normally those are the high beam lights, but in these cases they don't
seem unusually bright.

--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

root@arakis.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) (04/14/89)

> il@csri.toronto.edu (Indra Laksono) writes:

[major preaching session deleted to conserve net bandwith and spare
 all others from reading this kind of crap again]

I'm sorry Indra, but as an "under 23"-year-old I take great offence
to the tone of your article. Firstly, I fail to see how Stephen has
demonstated any level of immaturity. Basically he is saying, "How
(other than flashing my lights) do I get these left lane bandits
to move over?". A mature response would consist of some valid ideas
on how to accomplish this. Instead you bore the entire province of
Ontario with "Listen son, you shouldn't be driving so fast anyway"
and "I hope they put back your insurance to $3000 where it belongs".

Let me give it a try. Since I always drive with my (low beam) lights
on, you could always try flashing your lights in the opposite
direction (ie. turn them off and back on again). This spares the
driver in front of you the pain of getting blinded by high beams.
Another trick would be to put your left turn indicator on to indicate
your intention to pass, on the left like your supposed to (hey, it works
in Europe).

BTW, Why do I get the impression you drive an '89 Volvo with a
"Baby On Board" sticker in the window?

PS. What in heavens name does THIS mean? ----^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

--
Hans Jespersen                 UUCP: uunet!attcan!nebulus!arakis!hans
                                 or     ..!attcan!hjespers

dave@perle.UUCP (David LeReverend) (04/16/89)

In article <774@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:

>Speaking of [driving with headlights on full time], I think the first
>batch of cars wired for full-time driving lights are now on the [roads].

I've got an '88 Toyota that automatically shuts off the headlights once the
engine is off and the driver's door has opened.  Since I leave my headlights
on whenever I'm driving, this feature saves me about 6 battery boosts per
year.

This feature also gives drivers the option of using the old-fashioned, more
dangerous practice of only turning on the headlights when they feel like it.

I've noticed that almost no drivers in the U.S. use their headlights during
the day.  They collectively spend person-years flashing their headlights
"on" and then "off" at me.  Being a courteous driver, I cheefully flash
mine "off" and then "on" in return.  It drives 'em crazy.

"Gee, there must be a LOT of speed traps out tonight."
"Au de Newark"
Get it?  "DRIVES 'em crazy"?
"How come the lights go 'on', but the horn goes 'off'?"
How do I cross-post to (w)rec(k).autos?

All blames and flames to:

David LeReverend (dave@perle)

broehl@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (04/17/89)

In article <1647@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> ntt@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Kevin Picott) writes:
>To which I always apply the following line of reasoning:
>   This guy wants to get by me.
>   My right side is blocked so I can't change lanes.
>   I'm already going the speed limit so advancing would be illegal (-:
>   Only alternative:
>         Apply the brakes until I've dropped back enough to move to the
>          right lane.

Exactly what I do.  (Though if they're tailgating I don't brake -- I just take
my foot off the gas).

--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@watdcsu.UWaterloo{.edu,.csnet,.cdn}

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (04/17/89)

You may think it's cute when a you're blocking the left lane to
slow down to re-insert yourself, and I suppose it is the right thing
to do if you're unwilling to do anything else.

But the fact is that while most people understand that you're not
supposed to go slower than right lane traffic in the left lane, you
are also not supposed to go the same speed or only just a few miles
an hour faster.

The left lane is for fast traffic (some roads) or PASSING (all multi
lane roads.)

PASSING is not something that is done by moving into the left lane
and proceding at the same speed or 2 mph faster until you are past the
guy on the right.  To pass, you should accelerate by a significant amount,
even if if takes you over the limit (8-)), pass quickly, and then return
to the slow lane.   You should not sit an block the lane for other people
who, in accordance with the rules of the road, are passing at a high speed.

I hate the drivers who drive 100 kph who come up upon a driver going 99
kph, so they figure what they should do is go into the left lane at 100 kph,
take 2 minutes to pass the guy, and then move right.   This is wrong,
and a serious hazard to traffic safety.   Yes, as far as I understand
it, the law says you are permitted and supposed to exceed the limit to
pass.  If you're not a driver who goes at normal left lane speed, you
are passing, so get with it.

I just hate to see one of these 1 mph passers who has created a line
of 15 cars behind him, all in the name of "traffic safety."

For my next question, why is it that these guys are always wearing hats?
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

kevin@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Wallace B. Wallace) (04/17/89)

In article <3098@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>You may think it's cute when a you're blocking the left lane to
>slow down to re-insert yourself, and I suppose it is the right thing
>--
>Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

I completely agree with you when looking at it from this perspective Brad,
but the situation I always encounter is when all lanes are jammed and some
guy behind me is weaving in and out of lanes so that he can get wherever he
is going 30 seconds earlier.  When I'm driving in the "passing" lane (which
really does not exist as such during rush hour) and I am trying to leave a
safe distance in front of me, it really bugs me that these 'weavers' think
that they are entitled to occupy that safe area.

I like to make some allowance during heavier traffic by not leaving huge
gaps in front of me (I like 1/2 the recommended 2 second spacing during
rush hour), but by no means am I advocating slow passing or even (as I have
seen happen many times) speed matching.  (As a side note, I once had this
guy in front of me who deliberately made every effort to prevent me from
passing him, including matching speeds with cars beside him, slamming on
the brakes when I was behind him and accelerating as I went to pass him.
With guys like this on the road it's no wonder that there are so many
unnecessary traffic problems.  Maybe *someday* they'll include common sense
in the drivers exam.)

--- Kevin Picott
    NTT Systems Inc.
      currently stationed at DCIEM, CFB Toronto

andy@mks.UUCP (Andy Toy) (04/18/89)

In article <3098@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
    You may think it's cute when a you're blocking the left lane to
    slow down to re-insert yourself, and I suppose it is the right thing
    to do if you're unwilling to do anything else.
    .....[stuff deleted]
    I hate the drivers who drive 100 kph who come up upon a driver going 99
    kph, so they figure what they should do is go into the left lane at 100 kph,
    take 2 minutes to pass the guy, and then move right.   This is wrong,
    and a serious hazard to traffic safety.   Yes, as far as I understand
    it, the law says you are permitted and supposed to exceed the limit to
    pass.  If you're not a driver who goes at normal left lane speed, you
    are passing, so get with it.

Sounds correct and I agree with you, but the law doesn't permit you to
exceed the speed limit when you are not passing so I guess you should
be passing all the time if you want to go fast :-)    Really, this is
only useful if you are passing cars going much slower than the speed
limit since you would never catch up to cars going at the speed limit
if you are going the speed limit too.  I guess you could always use
slower cars for a sling-shot effect to catch up to those other cars :-)
Brad is right about passing cars.  You must do it quickly and safely.
None of this slow?! passing.

    I just hate to see one of these 1 mph passers who has created a line
    of 15 cars behind him, all in the name of "traffic safety."

    For my next question, why is it that these guys are always wearing hats?

Because they have cold heads?
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,    Internet: mks!andy@watmath.UWaterloo.ca
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,            UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

jmm@ecijmm.UUCP (John Macdonald) (04/18/89)

In article <3098@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:

>But the fact is that while most people understand that you're not
>supposed to go slower than right lane traffic in the left lane, you
>are also not supposed to go the same speed or only just a few miles
>an hour faster.

>I just hate to see one of these 1 mph passers who has created a line
>of 15 cars behind him, all in the name of "traffic safety."

Even worse are the myriad souls who overtake at their normal driving
speed, and then as they are passing SLOW DOWN to a few kph (some of
us have gone metric, Brad) faster than the car they are passing.

I assume that they think that passing is dangerous (the car might
pull out in front of them and he is going too fast to stop), without
considering that he is dramatically increasing the amount of time
that the car could pull over into him broadside WHILE he is passing.

It is also extermely obnoxious treatment of any traffic which is
trying to pass HIM - he goes slow when the road is blocked and people
cannot pass, and then speeds back up making it more difficult for them
to pass when the road is clear again.  (Slowing down for curves and
hills is in the same category, except of course when the curve is
sharp enough to make it unsafe to continue at the same speed.)
--
John Macdonald

clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) (04/18/89)

Maybe part of the problem is that there's a really wide variation in speeds at
the upper end.  To someone doing 120 or 130 km/h, 110 looks really slow; but
the 110 driver might have speeded up from 100 to pass safely.  It's possible to
follow the "safe passing" rules advocated by the "we like to drive fast but
skilfully" crowd and still have people driving into your trunk.  And it's
possible to be driving what seems dangerously fast to the "we like to drive
safely and keep our insurance premiums down" crowd and still be intensely
irritating to the person behind you.

People in cars seem to view each other as irresponsible idiots more than they
do in any other situation.  I've always thought that was because the means of
communication between drivers were so few.  But this discussion seems to be
going on at the usual drivers' level of cursing and finger-waving, even though
we're using this ultra-modern (well, mid-70's) communication channel.  One of
us even complained about the Chinese character in Indra Laksono's .signature!

Let's just remember [he said pompously] that we might meet each other sometime.
--
Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058
clarke@csri.toronto.edu     or    clarke@csri.utoronto.ca
   or ...!{uunet, pyramid, watmath, ubc-cs}!utai!utcsri!clarke

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (04/19/89)

I think we might do well with the British system.  Drive at passing speed
in the left lane (really the right lane over there) or get a ticket.
Pass on the right and you get a ticket.

It's really not that hard to avoid these problems.  Passing involves two
things:  A) Accelerating to a good speed so that the pass only takes a
very short time and B) Checking the traffic coming up on the left to ensure
you can complete your pass without blocking somebody.

The people who do the weave in a clump of cars are right out.  Nobody
likes them.   Tailgating is bad too, although sometimes it is very tempting
to tailgate somebody who is passing at 1 kph relative speed if they
refuse to speed up to finish their pass.

I drive fairly quickly so I don't get passed by a lot of cars on average,
but when somebody comes up behind me, I speed up and cut right.  Nobody
has to blink their lights at me.

I also think there should be a law for two lane roads (1 each way) that
any driver going slow enough to build a line of over 5 cars behind them
should be required to pull over.   There bunches of cars are dangerous,
but unless there is such a rule, they will always happen as long as drivers
go at different speeds.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

woods@tmsoft.uucp (Greg Woods) (04/19/89)

Unfortunately I've forgotten to read this group lately (I was too busy?
Nah, that couldn't be it!) and I didn't get into the "driving"
discussion as soon as I'd have liked...

(Sorry Mark, but since I'm going to comment about Ontario drivers, and
I would like to address a segment of same, AND I don't give a damn
what the rest of the world thinks of my driving or Ontario driving,
I'm continuing here.)

There has been a lot of mis-information and "I know best" opinions
spread through this trail of discussion.

First, I believe that, as a previous poster stated, it is NEVER legal
to exceed the speed limit, whether passing, or being passed.

Second, though I often disagree with posted limits (to the extent that
if in a hurry I can often be found to exceed same by up to 10%, which
has not yet resulted in a ticket), I firmly believe that exceeding the
speed limit should NOT be tolerated.  I don't agree with metric, and I
fight it every step of the way.  Often it seems that 10% over the
metric speed limit is near the previously posted speed in M.P.H.  At
least that's one way of justifying it :-).

Third, the rules about passing on multi-lane highways are quite
simple.  You MUST move over to the right if approached from behind,
AND you are not driving at the speed limit.  However, if you are
driving at the speed limit, you may continue on your merry way.  (I
know, I've also heard of cases where people were fined (in court) for
not getting out of the way.  I don't think all of the facts of these
cases have been presented clearly.)  Of course, any emergency or police
vehicle MUST be given the right-of-way.

Finally, what really pisses me off are: A) people who weave; and B)
people who barrel down (up) on my rear, (even when I'm 10% over the
limit), and begin making like they think I'm the crazy asshole.  In
many cases these people are the cause of traffic jams and accidents.
I insist that it is not my action of following the speed limit, but
that of those who exceed the limit that cause problems.  Traffic jams
are also caused by people who slow on corners and "rubber-neck" to see
various "interesing" things.  Accidents are also caused by people who
signal while (or after) making a move, or worse yet, don't signal at
all.  Problems of both kinds are caused by paranoids who don't know
enough to match traffic speed when trying to merge (of course some
vehicles and circumstances prevent this).

Now that I've said all that, I've got to contemplate safe procedures
for practicing what I preach while riding my motorcycle.  Driving my
full sized 4x4 pickup lets me get away with my "non-standard but
legal" ways, but a motorcycle is a different kettle of fish.  With the
bike I do have a bit more control, and theoretically more maneuvering
room though.

I suppose most of you who've also ridden with me (bike or truck) will
think I've gone completely off my rocker.  You'll know I'm often an
aggressive driver and I think caution speeds are for paranoids and
people who drive little tin boxes with poor tires.  I AM a defensive
driver, but I try to follow the motto "the best defense is a good
offense".

If you've gotten this far, thanks for listening to a VERY frustrated
driver.
--
						Greg A. Woods.

woods@{{tmsoft,utgpu,gate,ontmoh}.UUCP,utorgpu.BITNET,gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU}
+1-416-443-1734 [h],	+1-416-595-5425 [w]		Toronto, Ontario, Canada

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (04/20/89)

In article <3098@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> To pass, you should accelerate by a significant amount, even if if takes
> you over the limit (8-)), pass quickly, and then return to the slow
> lane.  Yes, as far as I understand it, the law says you are permitted
> and supposed to exceed the limit to pass.

Well, Brad, I'm willing to defer to higher authority, but I've never
heard of such a thing.  And the problem with it (besides the legalities)
is that the passer often returns to his previous speed minus 2 km/h,
thus making him slower than the car he passed.  You must have seen this
-- where someone is passing you with a trail of cars behind him in the
left lane, then pulls in front of you and slows down.  What a bummer.
No, I think the best bet is to maintain a constant speed at all times
(but not running into things in front of you :-), moving into the
passing lane when necessary, and returning to the right lane when
possible.

--

jmm@ecijmm.UUCP (04/20/89)

In article <8904181609.AA02831@harbord.csri.toronto.edu> clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) writes:

>People in cars seem to view each other as irresponsible idiots more than they
>do in any other situation.  I've always thought that was because the means of
>communication between drivers were so few.  ...

It should not be so unexpected.  Traffic laws and traffic design in general
seem to be based upon an assumption of incompetence on the part of drivers.

For example, consider right of way.  A yield sign, a stop sign, and a red
traffic each indicate that a driver does not have right of way.  A competent
driver who does not have right of way would proceed at a rate that ensure
that he is able to stop until such time as he can determine that there is
no opposing traffic that has right of way over him.  At that time, he would
carry out his desired action at a reasonable speed.  Why then would a traffic
designer choose to use a stop sign instead of a yield sign?  If you assume
that drivers are competent, then a stop sign should be an indication of
non-obvious danger and a yield sign should be used in almost all cases.

Instead, we have the situation where yield signs are only used in merge-
but-you-do-not-have-right-of-way situations where it is safer to maintain
speed unless the opposing traffic is too heavy to allow a safe entry.
Traffic flow desginers assume that the average driver is not competent
to handle a yield sign safely.  In additiona, a red traffic light prohibits
any activity, no matter how obvious it is that there is no opposing traffic
to take precedence.  The coders of the traffic law assume that the average
driver is not competent to determine whether it is safe to proceed at any
time - even if the driver can see that there is no oncoming traffic for miles
in either direction.

I do not claim that either the law or the traffic designers are wrong in
their beliefs.  I presume that many of these choices have been made after
studies of the consequences of the alternatives.  I certainly agree that
a large number of drivers are incompetent - (-: in my judgement, of course;
I am certain I would be classed as incompetent by other drivers :-).
--
John Macdonald

mike@mks.UUCP (Mike Brookbank) (04/21/89)

With all this discussion of Highway Driving Manners and Mores, what I
would like to know is why drivers can't pay more attention to the rhythm
of traffic and drive accordingly.

What I mean by rhythm is the speed and nature of the traffic at the
current time.  For example, traffic coming into Toronto from the suburbs
just after rush hour often moves at an average of 110 to 130 kmph.  The
left hand lane should be moving at a higher rate than the right hand
lane.  At this time and place the traffic is usually fairly solid with
little room for frequent lane switches.  Unfortunately, there always
seems to be two types of drivers ruining the rhythm.  The driver who
insist on travelling 140 kmph and therefore weaving in and out of slower
traffic and on the other side, the driver who travels at 95 kmph in the
left lane.  Both drivers represent a hazard because they are disturbing
the traffic rhythm.

Sometimes, like late at night, it is viable (although illegal), to
travel at 140 kmph because the there is plenty of room between cars and
trucks to travel in the right hand lane and pass on the left.  Other
times, like the above example, it just isn't reasonable.  So why can't
we all pay more attention, like they do in Germany and Italy, to the
traffic patterns and rhythms and learn to drive as a collective team
rather than little aluminium wrapped egos.
--
     Mike Brookbank                          Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!mike
   35 King St. North                             BIX: join mks
Waterloo, Ontario  N2J 2W9                  CompuServe: 73260,1043

root@helios.toronto.edu (Operator) (04/21/89)

All this reminds me of a line I heard a stand-up comedian use years ago:

If you want to do the speed limit on the 401, you'd better have a ramp on
the back of your car.

Too true! What a shame nobody does.

(Nope, sorry, this was one evening in about 1982 at the University of Guelph,
I haven't the faintest idea who said it - apologies if credit is due).
--
 Ruth Milner          UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!sysruth
 Systems Manager      BITNET - sysruth@utorphys

In article <794@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
>No, I think the best bet is to maintain a constant speed at all times
>(but not running into things in front of you :-), moving into the
>passing lane when necessary, and returning to the right lane when
>possible.

And in fact you can often make extremely good progress this way. I have
frequently seen heavy-loading situations where there are dozens of cars
creeping along in the "fast" lane, sometimes not even managing the speed
limit, passing a few widely-separated cars which might be doing a few
units ph slower. By maintaining a constant speed, e.g. the speed limit
or only a very few units ph faster, you can follow the policy above and
wind up passing all the "passing" cars very efficiently.

And for those of you who can't stand being passed on the right: if you
aren't passing someone, move over. If everyone did that, traffic would
flow faster and more smoothly. It's not illegal to pass on the right on
a multi-lane highway, and provided you keep your eyes peeled at all times
(which you should be doing anyway), it's not unsafe either.

I love driving. I'm not talking about weaving here, I don't like weavers
any more than it sounds like anyone else here does. I'm talking about
trundle along till you come up on someone; move into passing lane when
possible; pass at flow-of-traffic speed; move back into the right lane;
continue until you come up on yet another slow car. And I do that whether
or not there is anyone behind me or in front of me.

It works. And it makes driving a lot of fun.
--

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (04/21/89)

In article <274@ecijmm.UUCP> jmm@ecijmm.UUCP (John Macdonald) writes:
>In article <8904181609.AA02831@harbord.csri.toronto.edu> clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) writes:

>>People in cars seem to view each other as irresponsible idiots more than they
>>do in any other situation.  I've always thought that was because the means of
>>communication between drivers were so few.  ...

>It should not be so unexpected.  Traffic laws and traffic design in general
>seem to be based upon an assumption of incompetence on the part of drivers.

>If you assume
>that drivers are competent, then a stop sign should be an indication of
>non-obvious danger and a yield sign should be used in almost all cases.

>Traffic flow desginers assume that the average driver is not competent
>to handle a yield sign safely.

Don't put all the blame on 'traffic flow designers'.

In my pre-Unix days, I served for a time as a journalist covering municipal
transportation issues in North York. The city's transportation committee
frequently over-rode the recommendations of the bureaucrats who did the
surveys, police records, traffic counts, etc. The committee meetings
frequently appeared to me like the aldermen were making deals with each other.
"You go along with this new four-way stop in my ward and I'll approve one
for you one day." That kind of thing seemed commonplace, as committee
members responded to neighbourhood letters and phone calls, putting
hundreds of new stop signs per year into places where they weren't
justified by traffic patterns or common sense.

Nobody at these meetings represents the interests of those who have to
drive through the area, stopping what seems like every few feet in areas
with no traffic most hours of the day.

It's the same at the regional/county level of government. The only ones
speaking at these meetings on behalf of efficient traffic flow are the
paid municipal 'experts', and nobody cares how they vote.
--

Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
    evan@telly.on.ca / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

landolt@yunexus.UUCP (Paul Landolt) (04/22/89)

In reading all news re: left lane bandits, boosting down the 401 at 140kph
in the left lane, etc, I have some insight that may be of interest.

A few years ago, I had a car that was capable of 140 (which means I don't
now).  I was always in the left lane, wanting people out of the way.  When
this car finally blew up (xmission disintegrated -- really!), I bought what
I could afford at the time; a 4spd Honda Civic.  Top speed: 100kph.

This taught me two rules: 1) Stay in the right lane always, since you ain't
goin' nowhere fast!, and 2) You get there just as fast averaging 110 as
you do 140.

People seem to scream a great deal about the 'average speed' and the 'flow
of traffic'.  And, I tell ya, the majority of people are staying inside
115-120 kph (my observation, not concrete)

So, people at 140kph during the day: Don't expect miracles.  Ontario
drivers live in the left lane.  Getting mad isn't going to change it.  All
it will do is get you more upset (as well as the people around it).  If
you can, then do your part to stay out of the left lane. I have found that
on the 401, when it is 4 lanes (divided), the drivers tend to stay to
the right when traffic permits.  They know that consideration gets them
better results. The people living in the cities have the cars more packed
together.  Since they are all trying to get where they want to go, they're
not willing to reinquish the lane.

People in large urban areas tend to be inconsiderate of others.  As far as
I can see, the only solution is to try ant NOT be part of the problem.
MAYBE, if we're REAL lucky, other people will get there collective acts
together and try being considerate as well...

	...but I doubt it.  Ladies and gents, it's time to bring out
	shotguns on the 401!!! No prisoners!

--
Don't bother preaching | J. Paul Landolt | UUCP:     landolt@yunexus
to the saved           | 		 | INTERNET: LANDOLT@orion.YorkU.CA

broehl@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (04/24/89)

In article <1657@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> kevin@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Wallace B. Wallace) writes:
>In article <3098@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>You may think it's cute when a you're blocking the left lane to
>>slow down to re-insert yourself, and I suppose it is the right thing
>>--
>>Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473
>
>I completely agree with you when looking at it from this perspective Brad,
>but the situation I always encounter is when all lanes are jammed and some
>guy behind me is weaving in and out of lanes so that he can get wherever he
>is going 30 seconds earlier.  When I'm driving in the "passing" lane (which
>really does not exist as such during rush hour) and I am trying to leave a
>safe distance in front of me, it really bugs me that these 'weavers' think
>that they are entitled to occupy that safe area.

Exactly.  In general, I stay in the right lane unless passing or making
space for people pouring on from a ramp.  If I'm in the left lane it's
usually because I'm passing; I slow down to get out of it only if I'm
blocked front and side with some guy bearing down on me from behind
flashing his lights and tailgating.

--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@watdcsu.UWaterloo{.edu,.csnet,.cdn}
	BangPath: {allegra,decvax,utzoo,clyde}!watmath!watdcsu!broehl
	Voice:  (519) 745-4419 [home]  (519) 885-1211 x 2607 [work]

larry@hcr.UUCP (Larry Philps) (04/26/89)

It is interesting, that I consider myself to be a good law abiding citizen.
I am sure that most of you consider yourselves to be the same.  Yet for all
that, there is one law a break regularily - speed limits.  Don't you also?

As I though I understood it, the government should be passing, and thus
enforcing, laws that reflect the desires of the majority of the population.
(Pretty naive view eh?)  However, all you have to do it spend a short time
driving on any major highway to see that the majority of the population is
not at all in agreement with the speed limits.  A great deal of the zigzaging
that takes place is done to get around people who are already breaking the
law by going too fast.

I drive up to Owen Sound a lot, and thus take good old highway 10 (speed limit
80) between Orangeville and Chatsworth.  In the summer, if I drive less than
105kph, I get passed by everybody!  Not just in legal areas either.  I get
passed up hills, around blind corners and the like.  I ended up on the
shoulder twice last summer to let some bozo doing an illegal pass to get back
in before he hit the car coming head on.

In my opinion the speed limits are too low.  In Michigan a couple of years
ago they raised the highway limits from 55mph to 65mph.  The average speed on
the highways increased from (something like) 66mph to 68mph.  The majority of
the people just won't drive 70mph, it feels too fast.  I say we should raise
the limits to something the majority of the population are willing to
accept.  A fair percentage of the people who are "good law abiding citizens"
will then speed up to the new limits and a great deal of the reckless passing
with cease.

Anybody else agree?  Maybe I will send a copy of my tirade to my MP.  His
garbage can is probably empty :-)

Larry Philps                             HCR Corporation
130 Bloor St. West, 10th floor           Toronto, Ontario.  M5S 1N5
(416) 922-1937                           {utzoo,utcsri,uunet}!hcr!larry

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (04/26/89)

In article <400@hcr.UUCP> larry@zeus.UUCP (Larry Philps) writes:
>As I though I understood it, the government should be passing, and thus
>enforcing, laws that reflect the desires of the majority of the population.

Egad! This is pretty scary! As a general principle, this could be disastrous.
Imagine if the majority of the population should decide that killing some
minority group is ok....

As for highway regulations: as I understand it, these laws are intended to
reduce highway accidents. If the majority of the population should decide
they don't like these laws, should they be changed? Would it be right to
abolish speed limits if their abolition led to a much more dangerous highway
environment? Even if the majority of the population wanted their abolition?

>Larry Philps                             HCR Corporation
>130 Bloor St. West, 10th floor           Toronto, Ontario.  M5S 1N5
>(416) 922-1937                           {utzoo,utcsri,uunet}!hcr!larry

--

John DiMarco	* We will live in the light *	jdd%db.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
jdd@db.toronto.edu 	jdd@db.utoronto.ca	jdd@db.toronto.cdn

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (04/26/89)

While everybody breaks the limit, I suspect if they had a vote many would
vote for slower limits for various supposedly civic minded reasons.

What they mean is that everybody else should go 100.  If I, myself judge
it safe to go 120, that's for me....
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

schow@bnr-public.uucp (Stanley Chow) (04/27/89)

In article <89Apr26.134028edt.9320@ois.db.toronto.edu> jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") writes:
> [...]
>As for highway regulations: as I understand it, these laws are intended to
>reduce highway accidents. If the majority of the population should decide
>they don't like these laws, should they be changed? Would it be right to
>abolish speed limits if their abolition led to a much more dangerous highway
>environment? Even if the majority of the population wanted their abolition?
>
>John DiMarco	* We will live in the light *	jdd%db.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
>jdd@db.toronto.edu 	jdd@db.utoronto.ca	jdd@db.toronto.cdn
>{uunet!utai,watmath!utai,decvax!utcsri,decwrl!utcsri}!db!jdd	jdd@utcsri.UUCP

I am not sure if you asked the question rhetorically, but I like to answer
yes to them. Specifically, if the majority wants to drive faster knowing that
it is more dangerous, then the speed limit should be raised to suit. Note that
the speed limit is an upper limit, others can still drive slower,

The only valid argument for limiting the speed (in the context of majorities
and rights) is that allowing people to drive fast endangers the "slow drivers".
For this argument to hold, several factors must be present:
  1) there must exist the "slow drivers" who will not drive above 100 KM/hr even
     if the limit is raised to 300 KM/hr
  2) there must be evidence showing that "fast drivers" will endanger the
     "slow drivers"
  3) there must be evidence that raising the speed limit increases the danger to
     to "slow drivers"

The research that I have seen tend to say that it is not the absolute speed, but
the relative speed difference that causes accidents. It is also said that the
"slow drivers" cause more accidents for the "fast drivers" than the other way
around.

To summarise, low speed limit does not reduce accidents. Even it does, people
should be allowed to *choose* to live dangerously.

Stanley Chow    ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!show%bnr-public

Disclaimer: What? Me? Speak for the company? Surely you jest!

kevin@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Wallace B. Wallace) (04/27/89)

In article <89Apr26.134028edt.9320@ois.db.toronto.edu> jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") writes:
>In article <400@hcr.UUCP> larry@zeus.UUCP (Larry Philps) writes:
>>As I though I understood it, the government should be passing, and thus
>>enforcing, laws that reflect the desires of the majority of the population.
>
>Egad! This is pretty scary! As a general principle, this could be disastrous.
>Imagine if the majority of the population should decide that killing some
>minority group is ok....
>
>>Larry Philps                             HCR Corporation
>
>John DiMarco	* We will live in the light *	jdd%db.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net

I don't think that in the history of [our] government the *majority* of the
people have ever expressed any opinion on anything, which probably has
something to do with the origin of this point of view.  I have never met
anyone that thinks that killing a minority group is ok (unless you call
child rapists a minority group) and I don't think that I ever will run
across too many of them.  (People who think speeding is okay is another
matter :-)

But, and it's a big but, people are generally lazy and will not go to any
extra effort to express an opinion.  So in a situation related to the
failings of our government system, the vocal minority might harangue their
MP's into voting for something that the majority really does not want, but
is unwilling to 'go out on a limb' to support.  This is the scary part to
me.  'The squeaky wheel gets the grease' is not a valid form of government,
at least in my mind.

What we need is instant voting capability, or at least a way for the 'lazy'
person to voice their opinion.  (I've long since realized the futility of
trying to get these people into action.  They will do something about it,
but this usually consists of them reading the paper, shaking their heads
and saying 'someone ought to do something about that.)  Maybe the MP on the
net is a really good idea after all :-)  How about can.gov.write_your_mp ?

--- Kevin Picott
      NTT Systems Inc.

adam@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Adam R. Iles) (04/27/89)

In article <440@bnr-fos.UUCP> schow@bnr-public.UUCP (Stanley Chow) writes:

Stuff about who's dangerous deleted...

>To summarise, low speed limit does not reduce accidents. Even it does, people
>should be allowed to *choose* to live dangerously.

But should they be able to live dangerously around ME?  If you want to kill
yourself that's one thing, but if you want to kill me that's another.

BTW. I don't recall anyone mentioning that the REAL hassle (demerit points)
are given for exceeding the limit by 16km/h, so there's really not too much
of a problem exceeding the posted limit by 10km/h (if you don't mind risking
a fine.)

--

        Any opinions stated above may, or may not, refect those
        of any sane person living, dead, or just sleeping.

       Adam R. Iles:	adam@utgpu
                        adam@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

landolt@yunexus.UUCP (Paul Landolt) (04/27/89)

One of the reasons that the speed limit is set the way it is (aside from
'safety') is that
a) a majority of the people exceed the posted limit (due to reasons such
   as the 'flow of traffic' or the 'engineered speed' of the road), and
b) it is VERY easy to pick speeders out.  Ever thought how much grouds
   the local constabulary would have if they tried bringing people in for
   not signalling (which, as far as I'm concerned, causes more accidents
   than speeding) when changing lanes?

Catching speeders is an almost  guaranteed source of revenue and
ticket quotas.

edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) (04/28/89)

In article <1989Apr19.035315.25117@tmsoft.uucp>, woods@tmsoft.uucp (Greg Woods) writes:

> Third, the rules about passing on multi-lane highways are quite
> simple.  You MUST move over to the right if approached from behind,
> AND you are not driving at the speed limit.  However, if you are
> driving at the speed limit, you may continue on your merry way.

My posting is long enough so some of Greg's material was deleted.

> woods@tmsoft.uucp (Greg Woods)

At this point, I must disagree.  I remember quite distinctly an incident
about 18 years ago when I was pulled over on a perfectly deserted highway
(the 401 between London and Windsor at about 2 a.m.) for driving in the
"passing" lane.  A very polite and instructive O.P.P. officer informed me
that driving in the passing lane was prohibited (and against the law)
except in circumstances where I was actually *passing* another vehicle.

As this was not the case (I was just driving on the smoother surface of
the passing lane), I was violating the law, and was issued a polite warning.

I have remembered that officer's point, and have since acquired a rather
concise understanding of both his comments and the law.  The intervening
2 decades have resulted in my having to commute to the northern fringe of
Toronto (Concord) from Kitchener, that being a precise distance of 104.7km
*each_way* daily.  During my twice-daily commute, I constantly witness
numerous critical situations, almost invariably brought about by drivers
(and I use the term loosely) who deem themselves to have the god-given
right to enforce their own home-brewed versions of the law, by simply
blocking any and all traffic that should presume to approach the posted
speed limit.

Very simply put, the passing lane(s) is/are for *passing*.  If a driver
is NOT passing, then they have absolutely no reason and/or right to be
block those lanes.  Period.  The volume of traffic (heavy or light) has
absolutely *no* bearing on their position on the road.  If one is not
passing, one belongs in the furthest right hand lane.  Period!  (Note
the emphatic symbol there, people).  One only acquires the right to
emerge from the "slow" lane when a necessity (and desire and physical
ability) to pass slower traffic transpires.  Until this happens, stay
where you are.  When a requirement to pass a slow vehicle transpires,
then do so, safely, quickly, expediently.  Do not loiter, sightsee,
lollygag, restrain, or otherwise impede in any dangerous fashion the
normal (lawfull) flow of other traffic.  All drivers sharing the highway
have rights to unhindered passage.  It is (and most certainly should be!)
an offence to unreasonably restrain another driver from going about their
lawful business (driving safely, according to the rules, and within the
posted speed limit).  Note that I am *not* advocating breaking any laws,
and if all drivers (there is still a shred of idealism left in my soul)
were to observe common sense, respect and decency for others rights,
then the highways would be a much more civil place for all.

Unfortunately, we get right down to the reality of the situation.....
One gets on the highway at 7:30 a.m.  Things are decent for the first
few miles.  You can actually motor along just under the speed limit
on a nice sunny dry day at 99.9 km/hr in a 100km/hr zone.  Then somebody
decides that they are going to be an "enforcer" for the day and proceeds
to block the passing lane for the next 10 minutes.  To make matters worse,
there are dozens of these self-styled "enforcers" on the road simultaneously,
all driving way below the speed limit, side by side, blocking traffic.

Frustration builds, and normal drivers (faced with the reality of having
to be at work at a preset time) become anxious.  They start to tail-gate.
They start to weave between lanes.  They take any advantage that they can
get.  All it takes is one frustrated driver given the impetous by an idiot
who thinks *everybody* has all day to get to work.  Others see the actions
of the frustrated.  They proceed to emulate these actions, after all, the
food their families require also depends on them getting to work on time.

Now, what have you got?  You have a group of total fools trying to block
normal traffic, and a group of very anxious drivers trying to get around
them.  Rules?  What rules?  At this point the entire rule book has gone
out the window!  No wonder there are no police on the road in the morning.
They value their lives perhaps more than the rest of us.  They know what's
going on out there, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if their preference
is to have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

By the time you enter the *3rd* hour of your hour-and-a-quarter commute
it seems that the rules are no longer dictated by the law, but by raw
survival instinct.

You are welcome to disagree with me.  Meet me on the eastbound 401 between
7:30 and 9:30 a.m. some morning and show me how things are more civilized
than they appear.

The sad part is that if only those few people who don't know how to drive
on the highway were removed, it *could* be civilized.  All that needs to
be remembered and adhered to is:  "slower traffic on the right, pass only
on the left.  If you aren't passing (expediently), stay on the right."

Is that concept really so difficult?

		--ed		{edhew@egvideo.uucp}

rob@perle.UUCP (Rob McDougall) (04/28/89)

	If low speed limits are there solely for the purpose of reducing
	accidents, why not take this to the limit?  Lower them further!
	Why, we could probably even go back to using horses.  Or even
	walking!

	The point is, cars were invented as a means of getting somewhere
	faster.  Why do we then impose artificially low speed limits on
	those vehicles, especially when it is a very debatable point as
	to whether or not these limits actually make the roads safer.

	Is anyone aware of whether or not the incidence of traffic fatalities
	is higher or lower or comparable to ours in countries without
	speed limits on expressways, such as West Germany?  It would be
	interesting to find out, not that it would make a damn bit of
	difference.

	If I recall correctly, part of the reason for reducing the speed
	limits on our highways was to save energy during the fuel shortage.
	Maybe someone should call Mike Wilson, and remind him that if we
	drive faster, he'll make more money in gasoline taxes...:-).

--
Rob McDougall				Perle Systems Inc; Scarborough, Ontario
nunc est bibendum

richard@berner.UUCP (Richard Greenall) (04/28/89)

In article <1989Apr27.112604.11727@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> adam@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Adam R. Iles) writes:

>BTW. I don't recall anyone mentioning that the REAL hassle (demerit points)
>are given for exceeding the limit by 16km/h, so there's really not too much
>of a problem exceeding the posted limit by 10km/h (if you don't mind risking
>a fine.)

	This works great execept is isnt the fine that I am worried about. When
you go get your insurance, they say "Any tickets in the last 3 years?", not
"any tickets over 15KM over the limit?".  To the insurance companies, a ticket
is a ticket, and thou be dammned to eternal poverity if you get a speeding
ticket.

						Richard Greenall

landolt@yunexus.UUCP (Paul Landolt) (04/28/89)

In article <1989Apr27.112604.11727@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> adam@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Adam R. Iles) writes:
>In article <440@bnr-fos.UUCP> schow@bnr-public.UUCP (Stanley Chow) writes:
>
>>To summarise, low speed limit does not reduce accidents. Even it does, people
>>should be allowed to *choose* to live dangerously.
>
>But should they be able to live dangerously around ME?  If you want to kill
>yourself that's one thing, but if you want to kill me that's another.

If you are afraid of people living dangerously, as other people may be
(afraid, that is), then it would be in your best interests, as well as
those who wish to travel at a faster rate, to stay in the 'correct' lane.
weavers weavetend to weave to get around people who believe it is their
God-given right to proceed along in the left hand lane at 100kph.

People doing the limit should stay to the right. Common sense. If you are
going slower than people around you, then procede to the rightmost lane
where you are travelling at a rate suitable for the lane.

This really shouldn't be such a hard rule of thumb.  It could save a lot
of problems if people kept it in mind every once in a while.
--
Really:   J. Paul Landolt        | Some of us are born unto greatness,
INTERNET: LANDOLT@Nexus.YorkU.CA | Others see no problem with swiping it!

"The opinions expressed are mine. Don't blame the boss. She only hired me"

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (04/29/89)

In article <440@bnr-fos.UUCP> schow@bnr-public.UUCP (Stanley Chow) writes:
>The research that I have seen tend to say that it is not the absolute speed,
>but the relative speed difference that causes accidents.

I remember reading somewhere that there was a dramatic decrease in American
highway automobile accidents (or was it deaths?) when the highway speed limit
was reduced to 55 mph.  Can anyone confirm?

North American roads are not designed for very high-speed traffic. Curves
are too sharp, on/offramps are too short, grades are too steep, warning signs
are too close to what they signify... The 401 is NOT designed like a German
Autobahn (or so my uncle, who has driven in Germany, tells me).

So: It just might be much safer to keep to a generally conservative speed
    limit.

elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) (04/29/89)

In article <89Apr28.142013edt.9324@ois.db.toronto.edu> jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") writes:

>North American roads are not designed for very high-speed traffic. Curves
>are too sharp, on/offramps are too short, grades are too steep, warning signs
>are too close to what they signify... The 401 is NOT designed like a German
>Autobahn (or so my uncle, who has driven in Germany, tells me).

You need roads that, in general, are fairly straight and that don't have
a lot of ramps.  I guess Highway 400 fits the bill in some stretches.
There are lots of fairly dangerous highways in Europe that have very high
speed limits.  Those along the coast in southern France and northern Italy
are good examples--great scenery, but if you turn your head for a split
second you'll go for a nice little tumble.  It's pretty common to go
150kph on those curvy roads and over 160 on the "real" autostrada's.
It's not safe, but it sure is fun.  It's a real exercise in humility
to be tooling along at your top speed of 170, say, in your nifty little
Lancia and be passed so quickly by someone in a real sports car that
you are actually sucked toward the passing lane.
--
Eugene Fiume
Dynamic Graphics Project

dave@lethe.UUCP (Dave Collier-Brown) (04/29/89)

In article <89Apr28.142013edt.9324@ois.db.toronto.edu> jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") writes:>
>I remember reading somewhere that there was a dramatic decrease in American
>highway automobile accidents (or was it deaths?) when the highway speed limit
>was reduced to 55 mph.  Can anyone confirm?

  Actually the recorded result was that the number of accidents **on the
limited-access roads** fell, but accidents on surface roads in cities which
were adjacent to the limited-access roads rose precipitiously (sp?).
  As it happened, the highway death rates were collected/reported country-
wide and the surface road rates by state, so the effect wasn't noted for
several years.  Subsequently the justification was changed to fuel economy.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | {toronto area...}lethe!dave
72 Abitibi Ave.,      |  Joyce C-B:

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (04/29/89)

If you are going to be completely utilitarian about it, then when you
count accident statistics you also have to count lost time due to slower
highway speeds.

To do this you need the passenger mile figures, but I believe that somebody
once calculated that when the US reduced from 70 to 55, thus making
everybody's trips take 25% longer, you actually got a bad result.

The bad result comes from taking total passenger hours, taking 25% of
that, and expressing it in years of human waking lifetime.  Many
thousands of lifetimes are being wasted on the roads because of slower
speed limits -- more than the number of lives cut short by traffic
death.

Of course, to the people who die the traffic death, this isn't a good
argument!

But if you only measure total human life wasted, faster speed limits
save lives.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) (04/30/89)

In article <797@mks.UUCP> mike@mks.UUCP (Mike Brookbank) writes:

>With all this discussion of Highway Driving Manners and Mores, what I
>would like to know is why drivers can't pay more attention to the rhythm
>of traffic and drive accordingly.

	<apparantly valid reasoning omitted>

>Sometimes, like late at night, it is viable (although illegal), to
>travel at 140 kmph because the there is plenty of room between cars and
>trucks to travel in the right hand lane and pass on the left.  Other
>times, like the above example, it just isn't reasonable.  So why can't
>we all pay more attention, like they do in Germany and Italy, to the
>traffic patterns and rhythms and learn to drive as a collective team
>rather than little aluminium wrapped egos.

The only 2 reasons I can think of are:

1/	political (the politicians have designed our laws in opposition
	to what I would consider a rather intelligent concept).  This
(I take the liberty to speculate) is probably due to the preponderence
of motorists who lack the skill and/or intelligence to make such a scheme
viable on our highway system.

2/	The motorists referred to in 1/ above.

		--ed		{edhew@egvideo.uucp}

>     Mike Brookbank                          Phone: (519)884-2251

  Ed. A. Hew	       Technical Trainer	       Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
  home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!

jeff@censor.UUCP (Jeff Hunter) (05/02/89)

In article <2375@lethe.UUCP>, dave@lethe.UUCP (Dave Collier-Brown) writes:
> ... jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") writes:>
> >I remember reading somewhere that there was a dramatic decrease in American
> >highway automobile accidents (or was it deaths?) when the highway speed limit
> >was reduced to 55 mph.  Can anyone confirm?
>
>   Actually the recorded result was that the number of accidents **on the
> limited-access roads** fell, but accidents on surface roads in cities which
> were adjacent to the limited-access roads rose precipitiously (sp?).

	Ummm. Are those roads parallel to the limited access ones? I.E. were
time-pressed motorists using speeding on city streets as an alternative to
70 mph's on the highway?
	If not then does anyone have pet theories as to why the city
accident rates could rise?
	Here are four of mine:
o the driver is used to getting from A to B in 3 hours. The change in the
  limit now raises the trip to 4 hours, so the driver cuts corners
  in the destination city to shave a few minutes back off.
o the increase in trip time means that the inter-city driver arrives less
  alert
o the change co-incided with some normal increase in accident rates (first
  snowfall, New Years, etc...)
o there has been some other long-term increase in the city accident rate
  (more urban crowding?)

	Any other guesses? Anyone have newer statistics?

--
      ___   __   __   {utzoo,lsuc}!censor!jeff  (416-595-2705)
      /    / /) /  )     -- my opinions --

alayne@gandalf.UUCP (Alayne McGregor) (05/03/89)

In article <1673@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca>, kevin@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Wallace B. Wallace) writes:
> But, and it's a big but, people are generally lazy and will not go to any
> extra effort to express an opinion.  So in a situation related to the
> failings of our government system, the vocal minority might harangue their
> MP's into voting for something that the majority really does not want, but
> is unwilling to 'go out on a limb' to support.  This is the scary part to
> me.  'The squeaky wheel gets the grease' is not a valid form of government,
> at least in my mind.
>
> What we need is instant voting capability, or at least a way for the 'lazy'
> person to voice their opinion.  (I've long since realized the futility of
> trying to get these people into action.  They will do something about it,
> but this usually consists of them reading the paper, shaking their heads
> and saying 'someone ought to do something about that.)  Maybe the MP on the
> net is a really good idea after all :-)  How about can.gov.write_your_mp ?
>
> --- Kevin Picott
>       NTT Systems Inc.

To me, instant voting is synonymous with instant thinking -- in other words,
voting without considering all the arguments around a question and all the
results of your vote. There is a good reason why governments listen to pressure
groups -- they *know* what they're talking about. (This can produce good or
bad results, depending on whether the results the pressure groups push for
are in the general interest, but the results of instant polls produced
without proper discussion can only be worse.)

I am a member of a local cyclists' group that pressures city and regional
politicians for better cycling facilities (wider lanes, better parking,
proper sewer grates), and education for motorists and cyclists so they
can share the road. I do not expect someone who drives everywhere to
understand the problems I face as a commuting cyclist (although I will
agree with them that cyclists shouldn't go through red lights).

As a lobbyist, I understand the problems of my constituency and can
communicate them to policians in a way that can ensure cyclists  have an
easier time, without hurting others. I can educate a small group of
politicians about this. It's a lot more difficult to educate the
entire populace, although we do try.

Furthermore, most people don't care about the tiny details that do make
a difference to certain groups (like wider right lanes on streets). Why
should they be bothered by every change?

Certainly, people should be involved if they're interested in an issue.
But an uninterested person produces a worthless (to me) vote. Why bother?

Alayne McGregor
...!scs!gandalf!alayne
...!dgbt!gandalf!alayne
...!nrcaer!gandalf!alayne

(These, of course, are my opinions only.)

dave@lethe.UUCP (Dave Collier-Brown) (05/03/89)

Another reason they (death rates) rose on the adjacent surface streets
was that people who had exited the limited-access highway did not see the
traffic as moving much slower than on the highway, and tended to continue
along city streets at 55mph...
  Have you noticed this effect in Toronto? I certainly have (;-)).

--dave
--

kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (Kim Nguyen) (05/04/89)

In article <3166@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>I believe that somebody
>once calculated that when the US reduced from 70 to 55, thus making
>everybody's trips take 25% longer, you actually got a bad result.
>
>The bad result comes from taking total passenger hours, taking 25% of
>that, and expressing it in years of human waking lifetime.  Many
>thousands of lifetimes are being wasted on the roads because of slower
>speed limits -- more than the number of lives cut short by traffic
>death.

Not only does a lower speed limit increase the amount of time wasted
on the road, but time = $$$ (eg. a truckdriver, lost productivity,
etc.).

Then, the gasoline consumption argument for lowered speed limits is
silly too, since you WASTE 25% more gas just running your car for 25%
longer getting there...

Kim Nguyen 					kim@watsup.waterloo.edu
Systems Design Engineering  --  University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (Kim Nguyen) (05/04/89)

In article <440@bnr-fos.UUCP> schow@bnr-public.UUCP (Stanley Chow) writes:
>The research that I have seen tend to say that it is not the absolute speed, but
>the relative speed difference that causes accidents. It is also said that the
>"slow drivers" cause more accidents for the "fast drivers" than the other way
>around.
>
>To summarise, low speed limit does not reduce accidents. Even it does, people
>should be allowed to *choose* to live dangerously.

It inspires fear in me to see educated, intelligent people
advocating that "SLOW" drivers are the problem on highways.  Pardon
me, but isn't it the drivers who disregard the law, common sense, and
civility who endanger the lives of law abiding (well, relatively
speaking, since we ARE talking about speeding :-), courteous drivers?

If I am doing 120 on the 401 and some nutcase comes screaming up
behind me, weaving in and out of the lanes and slams his brakes on
right behind me, which one of us is the dangerous one?

According to Mr. Chow's statement, perhaps we should have
everyone (including the dangerous, incompetent drivers, and people
driving cars which are about to fall apart and are uncertifiable
(althought the drivers are perhaps certifiable)) at the same HIGH
speed...

I believe that we will never be rid of maniacs on the road, so no
matter what speed limits you set, there will always be violators.

Although I can see Mr. Chow's point, especially when I encounter
doddering senior citizens and the occasional inexperienced highway
driver.  The solution to this (perhaps unimplementable) would be to
have better training  and license renewals, as well as to instill a
sense of responsibility on the roads.

tim@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) (05/05/89)

In article <9522@watcgl.waterloo.edu> kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (Kim Nguyen) writes:
>In article <3166@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>I believe that somebody
>>once calculated that when the US reduced from 70 to 55, thus making
>>everybody's trips take 25% longer, you actually got a bad result.
>
>Then, the gasoline consumption argument for lowered speed limits is
>silly too, since you WASTE 25% more gas just running your car for 25%
>longer getting there...

Alas, this argument falls down when you look at the math of the situation.
The cars mileage (kilometreage?) goes up as you slow down from 70 to 55.
Since the distance you are travelling has not changed, you will will
actually use less gas running your car for longer.

	distance / mileage(mpg) = gas_used

	  CONST  /    INCR      =>  DECR

just my .04 litres worth
--
	Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	{decvax,attcan,watmath}!utzoo!dciem!ben!tim

mdf@ziebmef.uucp (Matthew Francey) (05/06/89)

In article <9522@watcgl.waterloo.edu> kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (Kim Nguyen) writes:
>In article <3166@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>I believe that somebody
>>once calculated that when the US reduced from 70 to 55, thus making
>>everybody's trips take 25% longer, you actually got a bad result.
>>
>>The bad result comes from taking total passenger hours, taking 25% of
>>that, and expressing it in years of human waking lifetime.  Many
>>thousands of lifetimes are being wasted on the roads because of slower
>>speed limits -- more than the number of lives cut short by traffic
>>death.

  I'm afraid I don't understand.  Are you saying that perhaps its OK to
let a few more people die (real deaths here) rather than waste a few of these
fictious "lives" you have just created?

>Not only does a lower speed limit increase the amount of time wasted
>on the road, but time = $$$ (eg. a truckdriver, lost productivity,
>etc.).

  ... time = $$$.  Yuck.

>Then, the gasoline consumption argument for lowered speed limits is
>silly too, since you WASTE 25% more gas just running your car for 25%
>longer getting there...

  This assumes that you don't use 25% more gas to travel at the higher
speed.  I strongly doubt this is the case.  [Simple example: air resistance
goes with the square of the speed, so just a 25% increase in V amounts to a
56% increase in air resistance.  If this is 1/2 the load on the engine, there
goes your 25% savings right there.]
--

hiraki@ecf.toronto.edu (Lester Hiraki) (05/06/89)

In article <1693@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) writes:
>Alas, this argument falls down when you look at the math of the situation.
>The cars mileage (kilometreage?) goes up as you slow down from 70 to 55.
>Since the distance you are travelling has not changed, you will will
>actually use less gas running your car for longer.
>
>	distance / mileage(mpg) = gas_used
>	  CONST  /    INCR      =>  DECR

Yes, the math of the situation......
What everyone so far has failed to realize is that air resistance
increases as the *SQUARE* of the speed.  Travelling at 115km/h instead
of 90km/h takes approximately 25% more fuel.  In Olympic cycling,
a racer expends 90% of his/her energy just spreading the air in front.
The moral of the story is this:  at high speeds air resistance
dominates over frictional rolling resistance.  I am not advocating
driving faster or slower.  Each will have to decide the value of their
time relative to the square of their speed.

This signature intentionally left blank.

jmm@ecijmm.UUCP (05/06/89)

In article <9523@watcgl.waterloo.edu> kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (Kim Nguyen) writes:
>In article <440@bnr-fos.UUCP> schow@bnr-public.UUCP (Stanley Chow) writes:
>>The research that I have seen tend to say that it is not the absolute speed, but
>>the relative speed difference that causes accidents. It is also said that the
>>"slow drivers" cause more accidents for the "fast drivers" than the other way
>>around.
>>
>>To summarise, low speed limit does not reduce accidents. Even it does, people
>>should be allowed to *choose* to live dangerously.
>
>It inspires fear in me to see educated, intelligent people
>advocating that "SLOW" drivers are the problem on highways.  Pardon
>me, but isn't it the drivers who disregard the law, common sense, and
>civility who endanger the lives of law abiding (well, relatively
>speaking, since we ARE talking about speeding :-), courteous drivers?
>
>If I am doing 120 on the 401 and some nutcase comes screaming up
>behind me, weaving in and out of the lanes and slams his brakes on
>right behind me, which one of us is the dangerous one?

An incompetent nutcase is dangerous regardless of whether he drives
fast, average, or slow.  They come in all forms and are capable of
disregarding the law, common sense, and civility at whatever speed
they prefer to drive.  Similarily, courteous, competent, sensible
drivers come in the entire range of preferred speeds.

The existance of the (highly visible) fast nutcase class of driver
does in no way prove that *all* fast drivers are endangering the lives
of the average speed drivers on the road.

It seems clear to me that a slow driver usually causes more endangering
than a fast driver.

Consider:
    Assume a multi-lane divided highway with a moderate traffic
    load (i.e. most cars are separated by more than the minimum
    safe following distance).

    Assume that there is an large cluster of traffic which is
    travelling at approximately the same speed (i.e. within a
    15 kph range - sufficient that there is some relative motion
    between these cars).

    Put yourself as an observer in a helicopter that is exactly
    pacing the cluster of cars - it is going the same speed.

    Watch a competent fast driver pass through the cluster.  He
    changes lanes where neccessary to pass, slows down when
    approaching a clump that he cannot pass, joins the lane that
    is going fastest, and then speeds back up again when he has
    gotten clear of the clump.  Another car in the cluster might be
    affected by the fast car if it catches up to a clump just after
    the fast car has passed it and ends up one car further back in
    the queue of cars moving by the clump.  Otherwise, the fast car
    does not interact with the other cars.

    Now, watch the cluster as it passes a slow car.  From the
    helicopter, this looks very much as if the slow car is driving
    backwards through the cluster, never changing lanes, never
    adjusting speed to ease his passage through the cluster.  The
    cars in the cluster must arrange to get out of the way of this
    backward progress.  Whenever he backs through a clump, there is
    not room for all of the clump in the other lanes, so the clump
    gets dragged backwards for a while, too, until it eventually
    does get past the slow car.

    So who is the greater hazard?  The fast driver (assuming he is
    competent and not one of the nutcases described above), assumes
    the responsibility for ensuring that the difference in speed does
    not endanger the other cars on the road, which is why he slows
    to the average speed when it would otherwise be endangering.
    The slow driver forces the average drivers to collectively (and
    simultaneously) assume the responsibility for ensuring that the
    difference in speed does not endanger any of the other cars on
    the road.  While many of the average speed drivers will be competent,
    there may be some who chose not to be high speed drivers because
    they feel competent to accept the responsibility for the difference
    in speed - these drivers are nonetheless getting such a responsibility
    forced upon them by the slow driver (of course, they are being forced
    to accept the difference only between themselves and one car, rather
    than between themselves and many cars, so it is not as bad as the
    position that they chose to avoid - except that when a clump approaches
    the slow car, there can quite suddenly be a large number of cars that
    have reduced speed considerably).

    In programming terms I consider the danger caused by the fast driver to
    correspond to a medium scale single program for which a reasonable
    proof of correctness has been made, while the danger caused by the
    average cars working their way around the slow car to correspond to
    a group of small scale but parallel programs each of which has a
    expectation of correctness, but no proof individually, and certainly
    no attempt to verify the interaction protocol has been made.
--
John Macdonald

jmm@ecijmm.UUCP (05/06/89)

In article <1693@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) writes:
>In article <9522@watcgl.waterloo.edu> kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (Kim Nguyen) writes:
>>In article <3166@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>>I believe that somebody
>>>once calculated that when the US reduced from 70 to 55, thus making
>>>everybody's trips take 25% longer, you actually got a bad result.
>>
>>Then, the gasoline consumption argument for lowered speed limits is
>>silly too, since you WASTE 25% more gas just running your car for 25%
>>longer getting there...
>
>Alas, this argument falls down when you look at the math of the situation.
>The cars mileage (kilometreage?) goes up as you slow down from 70 to 55.
>Since the distance you are travelling has not changed, you will will
>actually use less gas running your car for longer.
>
>	distance / mileage(mpg) = gas_used
>
>	  CONST  /    INCR      =>  DECR

Many years ago, I used to weekly travel between Waterloo and Toronto.
I took advantage of this to test the validity of the above formula.

On different trips, I did my best to maintain a constant speed througout.
At higher speed, this was possible, but presumably the improved mileage
while I was forced to lower speeds was somewhat balanced by the reduced
mileage while I was accellerating back up to the desired speed.

Anyway, the results I ended up with (from memory and they were somewhat
rough at the time - this is not a true scientific measurement) were:

Speed  Mileage  Comment
(mph)   (mpg)   I use metric now, but this was looong ago.
 95      24     I was young and foolish then.
 85      26
 75      26
 65      25
 55      24     It was hard to maintain a speed this slow (limit - 15).

My conclusion at the time was that the folk knowledge that high speed
means drastically lower gas mileage was not true for me.  My car at the
time was a 5-speed manual, 2 litre, smallish car (Toyota Corona).  This
was in the days of the large automatic-transmission American battlestar.
I concluded that for such cars it could quite likely be true that they
had a similar looking mileage curve except the peak was at 55 mph instead
of at 80 mph as seemed to be the case for my car, and that by 70 mph they
could be falling off fast.

This made it particularily annoying to me when a few years later, the speed
limits were dropped from 70 to 60 "to save gas".  The saving in gas from
reducing speed limits, was soon overwhelmed by the much greater saving in gas
from the great downward shift in average car size.  If the change in car
size had come first, the reduction in speed limit would have had almost
no effect in gas usage.  (Of course, without the general conscience having
been pricked by the official concern expressed by the drop in speed limit,
the car style transition might have been dramatically less marked.)
--
John Macdonald

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (05/07/89)

In article <1989May5.211750.17968@ziebmef.uucp> mdf@ziebmef.UUCP (Matthew Francey) writes:
>  I'm afraid I don't understand.  Are you saying that perhaps its OK to
>let a few more people die (real deaths here) rather than waste a few of these
>fictious "lives" you have just created?

You responded to a followup to a followup to a followup that had my words
only in part.  I pointed out that this is purely a utilitarian argument,
calculating the total savings for everybody.

But it does apply in the more general case.  For example, if there were
a mode of transport that were instantaneous, but it had 10% more
deaths than highway travel, I think we would switch to it.

Likewise, if it turned out that we got no traffic deaths if everybody
went 10 miles per hour (and we would get very few, if not none) does
that mean we should all go 10 mph?  Or 20 if we're safe then?

We do have to set the tradeoff at some point, and that tradeoff really
is one between human time wasted on the road and human life wasted on
the road.

You can't equate time and lives directly, but there is some point where
you weigh one over the other.  If 70 years are wasted for each life
saved, we might think it's worth it.

If 500 years are wasted, we might not.   Like it or not, we do quantify
human life this way all the time.  Our own, and other people's.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

eric@becker.UUCP (Eric Siegerman) (05/07/89)

In article <2009@egvideo.UUCP> edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) writes:
>In article <797@mks.UUCP> mike@mks.UUCP (Mike Brookbank) writes:
>>So why can't
>>we all pay more attention, like they do in Germany and Italy, to the
>>traffic patterns and rhythms and learn to drive as a collective team
>>rather than little aluminium wrapped egos.
>
>1/	political (the politicians have designed our laws in opposition
>	to what I would consider a rather intelligent concept).  This
>(I take the liberty to speculate) is probably due to the preponderence
>of motorists who lack the skill and/or intelligence to make such a scheme
>viable on our highway system.
>
>2/	The motorists referred to in 1/ above.

But why do North American drivers differ in this from Europeans?
I assume we're no less intelligent, so we must just be less
skillful.  The above quote hints at the answer, but doesn't state
it explicitly:  I think we have a vicious circle here, in which
our laws themselves discourage people from thinking for
themselves (or, at least, fail to encourage them), and then our
lawmakers are forced to base future decisions on the fact that
the people don't think.

I believe that in Germany, although there are no set speed limits
on the Autobahns (or weren't; they were talking about imposing
them), one can (could?) still be cited for driving too fast for
conditions (road, weather, traffic, etc.).  Such an approach
permits, indeed requires, police officers to exercise their own
judgment as to whether a driver is going too fast.

This sort of thing is unthinkable here -- police don't *make*
laws, they just enforce them.  We're so afraid of possible police
excesses that we insist everything be written out in advance; we
put as much distance as possible between the making of a legal
decision and its enforcement, in hope of reducing the amount of
the process which is open to individual bias.

The only problem with this is that it reduces the motorist's
freedom of choice as well, and thus his need to learn to choose
wisely.  One no longer has a legal inducement to choose a safe
speed, since one won't be punished for driving at an unsafe speed
per se.  In good conditions, one is forced by the law to drive
frustratingly below the maximum safe speed (reasonable behaviour
is illegal), but in bad winter conditions, the law will ignore
even people who are driving dangerously fast (unreasonable
behaviour is quite legal); in neither case does the law match
well with the real needs of the situation, and in neither case
does it reward wisdom, only pattern-matching (white sign on the
roadside vs. speedometer).

In short, in Germany the police and the populace trust each other
to act reasonably (at least a little bit), and the law rewards
reasonableness.  Here, we don't trust each other at all; the law
sometimes punishes reasonableness and other times ignores it,
rewarding only unthinking submission.  Is it any wonder people
don't bother to think?

Of course this discussion has ignored other potent reasons for
driving safely, like not getting killed or killing others.  It's
the law's effect on behaviour that concerns me here.

--
Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.
eks@kneller.UUCP,  eric@becker.UUCP,  ...!utzoo!mnetor!becker!kneller!eks

schow@bnr-public.uucp (Stanley Chow) (05/08/89)

If only people read what I post!

In article <9523@watcgl.waterloo.edu> kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (Kim Nguyen) writes:
>In article <440@bnr-fos.UUCP> schow@bnr-public.UUCP (Stanley Chow) writes:
>>The research that I have seen tend to say that it is not the absolute speed, but
>>the relative speed difference that causes accidents. It is also said that the
>>"slow drivers" cause more accidents for the "fast drivers" than the other way
>>around.
>>
>>To summarise, low speed limit does not reduce accidents. Even it does, people
>>should be allowed to *choose* to live dangerously.  [...]
>
>It inspires fear in me to see educated, intelligent people
>advocating that "SLOW" drivers are the problem on highways.

Please read what I posted. I made no such claim.

I tried to point out that it is the *speed differential*, not the absolute
speed that causes accidents. I also pointed out that supposedly, different
groups of drivers cause accidents differently.

Nowhere did I pass judgement on which group is right or wrong.

If you feel like a tirade against speeders, just do it. Why do you have
to drag me into something I did not say?

>         [...]                                        Pardon
>me, but isn't it the drivers who disregard the law, common sense, and
>civility who endanger the lives of law abiding (well, relatively
>speaking, since we ARE talking about speeding :-), courteous drivers?

Please note that I merely refered to two *relative* groups - the fast
drivers and the slow drivers. Nowhere did I suppose that that anyone is
or is not speeding. Even if someone *does* speed, that does not, by itself,
mean he "disregard the law, common sense, and civility ..."

Common sense embodies a lot more than driving below the speed limit.

What is your definition of a "courteouse driver" that lets you equate
courteouse driving with driving below the speed limit?

>If I am doing 120 on the 401 and some nutcase comes screaming up
>behind me, weaving in and out of the lanes and slams his brakes on
>right behind me, which one of us is the dangerous one?

Depending on the traffic flow at the time, either of you can be the
dangerous culpit. For example, driving 120 on the leftmost express
lane when all the other lanes are packed and moving faster would be
consider by most poeple as dangerouse to others. For example, driving
an the left lane at the same speed as the right lane when someone else
wishes to pass would be considered dis-courteous and dangerous.

>According to Mr. Chow's statement, perhaps we should have
>everyone (including the dangerous, incompetent drivers, and people
>driving cars which are about to fall apart and are uncertifiable
>(althought the drivers are perhaps certifiable)) at the same HIGH
>speed...

Please note that your conclusion does not necesaryly follow from
my statement. It is entirely possible for slow drivers to keep right
and fast drivers on the left lanes. Ontario already have such rules.

Stanley Chow        BitNet:  schow@BNR.CA
BNR		    UUCP:    ..!psuvax1!BNR.CA.bitnet!schow
(613) 763-2831		     ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!schow%bnr-public
I am just a small cog in a big machine. I don't represent nobody.

kevin@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Wallace B. Wallace) (05/08/89)

In article <2477@gandalf.UUCP> alayne@gandalf.UUCP (Alayne McGregor) writes:

>To me, instant voting is synonymous with instant thinking -- in other words,

You've got me on this one.  The big problem is how to get people to vote
*responsibly*.  If I were asked for an instant decision knowing all of the
facts in the situation I feel quite confident that the decision would be
correct due to the workings of the subconscious mind.  If, however, I
were asked for a decision on an issue I knew nothing about I might as well
pull out a coin for just as accurate a reply.  Some people do not even
realize this!  (The old ego trips in when a pollster asks a question which
you know nothing about.  Can't let him know you don't know everything.)

>Certainly, people should be involved if they're interested in an issue.
>But an uninterested person produces a worthless (to me) vote. Why bother?
>
>Alayne McGregor

This is really what I am advocating too.  But, there are many issues that I
would be interested in if I *knew* about them.  On reflection, instant
*voting* would be a disaster, but having a list of issues available on
which one could express an opinion is a more sane solution.  Lines of
communication to find out these things exist, but only if (1) You know
exactly how to use them and (2) You have the time to monitor them for
issues of interest to you.  (1) is not difficult, but (2) is almost
insurmountable.  If a list of issues were made available in an easily
monitored source (such as a newspaper, or "your own personal information
centre") then (2) could be eliminated.

To put this in your situation, how many more cyclists do you think are out
there who would support your issues if they only knew about it?

--- Kevin Picott       NTT Systems Inc.

kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (Kim Nguyen) (05/09/89)

In article <478@bnr-fos.UUCP> schow%BNR.CA.bitnet@relay.cs.net (Stanley Chow) writes:
>If you feel like a tirade against speeders, just do it. Why do you have
>to drag me into something I did not say?

Heh, who's on a tirade against speeders?  *I* often drive above the
speed limit... NOW who's not reading what someone else posted?!  :-)

>>         [...]                                        Pardon
>>me, but isn't it the drivers who disregard the law, common sense, and
>>civility who endanger the lives of law abiding (well, relatively
>>speaking, since we ARE talking about speeding :-), courteous drivers?
>>

>What is your definition of a "courteouse driver" that lets you equate
>courteouse driving with driving below the speed limit?

Whoa!  Where did I say courtesy = below speed limit driving?
Courteous drivers often speed...

>>If I am doing 120 on the 401 and some nutcase comes screaming up
>>behind me, weaving in and out of the lanes and slams his brakes on
>>right behind me, which one of us is the dangerous one?
>>

>Depending on the traffic flow at the time, either of you can be the
>dangerous culpit.

True.
But I was working under the assumption that I am not a dangerous left
lane bandit.

>Stanley Chow        BitNet:  schow@BNR.CA

Sorry for the apparent obnoxiousness of my comments, but you seemed to
imply that slow (ie. speed limit) drivers were the dangerous ones
(which WOULD have indicated to me that you like to speed an awful lot
and get annoyed at speed limit drivers -- which I feel is not
justified!).  I was trying to point out that speeders are more likely
to be discourteous (since they're in a hurry) than are slower (speed
limit) drivers, and hence more dangerous.

jeff@censor.UUCP (Jeff Hunter) (05/09/89)

In article <3201@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> We do have to set the tradeoff at some point, and that tradeoff really
> is one between human time wasted on the road and human life wasted on
> the road.

	You have to remember that some folks out there *enjoy* driving.
I see no reason to endanger them just to *lower* the amount of time they
drive (and enjoy themselves). Therefore when we implement Brad's scheme
we'll have to root out those people and build them special ultra-low-risk
roads with strict speed limits and sweeping padded curves.
	While the rest of us (who think of driving as a chore) buzz along
like bats outta Hull on the fury of the open road the driving enthusiasts
can sit back, relax, and have some _quality_ time in their cars.

		(Spice with a smiley or twelve.)

--

mike@mks.UUCP (Mike Brookbank) (05/16/89)

In article <485@becker.UUCP> eric@becker.UUCP (Eric Siegerman) writes:

>But why do North American drivers differ in this from Europeans?
>I assume we're no less intelligent, so we must just be less
>skillful ...

I think the skill factor and social driving conditions play a major part
in European driving largely due to the conditions of the road and the
physical geography of the country.  In North America, for the most part,
the roads are flat, have low gradiant factors,  are wide and have a very
good visibility rate. (Especially here in Southern Ontario!).  In Italy,
the mountain roads are very narrow, have a very sharp turning radius an
very poor visibilty.  The city or town streets were built with horse
travel in mind and only VERY recently (past fifty years) have they
tried, unsuccessfully to modify the roads try and accomodate automobile
traffic.

This means that the average Italian driver MUST pay attention to the
road and his fellow drivers because if he doesn't he is likely to drive
over a cliff and plunge two thousand meters.  So my point is that its
not so much driver vs. driver as driver vs. geographical limitations
and because these limitations are not forgiving the average Italian
driver is far more skilled than the average North American driver.

I think this point can be extended to regions within North America as
well.  I have found that northern drivers (ie people who deal with the
snow, freezing rain, etc) are on average better drivers than southern
drivers.  I have also found that mountain drivers are better than
non-mountain drivers.

What I think would go a long way in solving the problem of driving
skills is a compulsory advanced driving course offered maybe five years
after you have obtained your licence.  This course would teach you
controlled skidding, precision handling, how to effectively use your
gears for stopping, etc...  Maybe we could even get the insurance
companies to back this program by offering lowered rates.  Think the'll
go for it?  Naaaah!