[ont.general] Going to Usenix?

oroth@utcs.UUCP (05/01/85)

	Going to USENIX from the Toronto Area?

The best air fare I could find without a lot of looking was $495 (CDN I think)
with the usual must stay Saturday condition.  I notice CP Air is having a
seat sale to Vancouver for $349 (CDN I know) and Wardair has flights for the
same price.  Renting a car for a week would cost about $200 + ins. + gas + tax.
The drive to Portland would be 5-6 hours; we could take the 'scenic route'
back.  Anyone out there interested?  I will be going for the tutorial on Tues.
I don't have flight times etc., but if one to three (or even five) others are
interested, I could look into it.

Please reply by mail if interested.

John Roth at UTCS  (416)978-5045
utcs!oroth

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (05/19/89)

I want to go to Usenix in Baltimore June 13.  Anybody want to share
a hotel room and some transport?

You can fly from BUF to Dulles for $170 return (USD) on a special fare,
which is a lot cheaper than the $440 from Toronto to Balt/Wash.  Dulles
is 60 miles further than Balt/Wash from Baltimore, and I would want to
split a rental car, too, to solve that problem.

Let me know ASAP.  Phone 519 884-7473
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (05/21/89)

In article <3336@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:

> You can fly from BUF to Dulles for $170 return (USD) on a special fare,
> which is a lot cheaper than the $440 from Toronto to Balt/Wash.  Dulles
> is 60 miles further than Balt/Wash from Baltimore, and I would want to
> split a rental car, too, to solve that problem.

Another option is Amtrak.  Takes a day, but it's a lot more fun than a
long drive to Buffalo, getting on a giant overstuffed airborne tin can
for an hour or two, and driving another hour to downtown Baltimore.

The train leaves Toronto at 9:40 AM, arrives New York at 9:25 PM.  Then
you get on the overnight NY-Washington train, which actually leaves at
3:45 AM, but you can occupy your compartment any time after 9:30.  You
arrive Baltimore (downtown, not some wretched airport miles from where
you actually want to be) at 7:00 AM.

Returning, you leave Baltimore at 11:11 PM, arrive New York 2:37 AM, but
you can stay in bed until 8:00.  Leave New York 8:35, arrive Toronto that
evening at 8:10.

Total fare (including a roomette on the overnight segments) is US$276,
plus a few bucks to get between Grand Central and Penn Station in NYC.
Bedrooms for two are slightly (but not a whole lot) cheaper than twice
the roomette fare.  If you're travelling with a *really* good friend,
you can squeeze two into a roomette, but this isn't advised unless you
and your companion are really used to sleeping cuddled up.  (There's
only one bed, and it's not very wide.)  Also, you sometimes have to
hassle with the reservation person to convince them to ticket you for
a two-in-a-roomette reservation.  It's technically allowed, but they've
been told to strongly advise passengers against it.

Note that, depending airline schedules, arriving by train may save you
at least one night's hotel bill, since you arrive early enough in the
morning to get to the conference, register, and make it to the first
session.  Although I haven't checked airline schedules, I doubt that
there's a flight out of Toronto early enough to allow you to make it
from the airport to downtown Baltimore in time not to miss anything.

Depending on how late you wanted to head back, and the flight schedules
for late evening, you might conceivably save a hotel night on the way
back as well.

By the way, one caveat:  Although VIA sells Amtrak tickets, it's often
better to get them from a travel agent.  Amtrak always quotes its fare
in US dollars.  VIA has their "official" exchange rate, which more often
than not is ridiculously high compared with what the banks charge.  My
travel agent calls the bank for the current daily rate, and uses that.
It makes a big difference sometimes.

Note that although the Toronto-NY train is unreserved, the NY-Baltimore
train requires advance reservations.  For more information, call Amtrak
(toll-free) at 1-800-426-8725.  If anyone wants additional details, feel
free to ask.

Mark Bartelt                          UUCP: {utzoo,decvax}!sickkids!mark
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto   BITNET: mark@sickkids.utoronto
416/598-6442                          INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (05/22/89)

In article <266@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>The train leaves Toronto at 9:40 AM ........
>arrive Baltimore (downtown, not some wretched airport miles from where
>you actually want to be) at 7:00 AM.
>
>Total fare (including a roomette on the overnight segments) is US$276,

Is this a joke?  Unless you really love the train, it must be.  The
Piedmont full-fare flight from Buffalo to Balt/Wash (a short $6
bus ride from downtown Balt) is $310 or something, return, full fare.

I'm flying the $176 because I will drive an extra 60 miles to save over
$100 USD (I guess I'm cheap) and I also have some things to do in
Washington.   But I can't imagine taking a 22 hour train ride to save
over the direct flight or to spend more than the flight to Dulles.

Of course, coming from Waterloo, where it's 50 minutes to YYZ and 1:30
to BUF, I don't see as much of a difference between the two as somebody
in Toronto might.

--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473