[ont.general] Want a "fibre optic" lamp.

dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) (07/11/89)

Remeber when a few years ago you used to see all kinds of lamps that
had the optical fibers comming out the bottom, going up into a mushroom,
with light shining through the fibers at the tips.  It looked kind of
neat.  Well they're almost impossible to find now a days, they've fallen
out of favour with people.

A friend of mine really wants one for her birthday, so I thought I'd see
if I can find one.  I would really like one with a lot of fibers and a
bit modern looking.  I definitely don't want anything too tacky.

Anyway, I spent Saturday looking around the obvious places in T.O. but alas
only found things I wouldn't even consider giving to someone I hate.

Has anyone seen one of these things in a store recently, and if so
WHERE?

Any pointers will be deeply appreciated.

-thanks
-dennis
Death is an experience that is best    |Dennis  UUCP,BITNET:    dvadura@water
shared.  [Lt. Worf]                    |Vadura  EDU,CDN,CSNET:  dvadura@waterloo

king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (07/12/89)

In article <15016@watdragon.waterloo.edu> dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) writes:
>Remeber when a few years ago you used to see all kinds of lamps that
>had the optical fibers comming out the bottom, going up into a mushroom,
>with light shining through the fibers at the tips.  It looked kind of
>neat.  Well they're almost impossible to find now a days, they've fallen
>out of favour with people.

Yeah, they died along with the hippy movement 8->

You could look in EfstonScience (Edmund Scientific in Canada). They have
all sorts of wierd psychadelic stuff, but are rather pricey. They are
located on Dufferin St., just across from Yorkdale. I can't find exactly
what you want in their catalogue, but they do have items not listed. Best
to call first: 787-4581  (Fax 787-5140). The other place you could try is
the science shop underground at Yonge & Bloor - sorry, I can't recall the
name of the store.

Good luck.

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (07/14/89)

In article <2063@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:
>In article <15016@watdragon.waterloo.edu> dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) writes:

>>Remeber when a few years ago you used to see all kinds of lamps that
>>had the optical fibers comming out the bottom, going up into a mushroom,
>>with light shining through the fibers at the tips.

>You could look in EfstonScience (Edmund Scientific in Canada). They have
>all sorts of wierd psychadelic stuff, but are rather pricey. They are
>located on Dufferin St., just across from Yorkdale.

The last time I saw one was in last year in a kiosk at the Rainbow Mall
in Niagara Falls, N.Y. The guy had it down real well, some of them revolved
and most had a little turning colour wheel inside between the fiberoptics
and the light source.

I also recall that most Living Lighting stores seem to still have one or
two of them around, next to the lava lamps :-).
--

  Evan Leibovitch, SA, Telly Online, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / Director & editor, /usr/group/cdn