[net.music] I Hate Kate Bush

russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence) (06/23/85)

>From: nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan)
>... the person who has created the best album ever pressed ("The
>Dreaming").
>... her other albums pale in comparison to "The
>Dreaming".  In fact, all albums pale in comparison to "The Dreaming"!
>
>> I have just recently picked up "The Dreaming" , after
>> reading the flattering reviews on the net. It indeed
>> lived up to my expectations and I have become YAKF
>> (yet another Kate fan).
>
>Congratulations!  You have just won a lifetime supply of fulfilling
>music!

Enough, Enough, ENOUGH!!!!!   I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT KATE
BUSH!!!!!!!!

Why don't you start up net.music.kate.bush, or set up a mailing list for
Kate Bush fans???

It probably wouldn't mind except that I heard all of the raves about Kate
Bush and went out and decided to buy "The Dreaming".  I usually don't like
to buy an album without some idea of what the music is like or if I will like
it, but... the album got such good reviews on the net that I decided to take a
chance.  So, I put down my hard earned money and bought the album and took it
home and played it.  And then I played it a few more times, because I wanted
to give it a fair chance and see if it improved with more playing.  Well, I
don't like it.  In fact I think that Kate Bush sucks.  I'll never buy another
Kate Bush album and I'm very sorry that I bought "The Dreaming" (although
I like the thought that when I destroy it there will be one less copy of
that album in the world).  And in fact, Doug Alan, I'll take you up on
your reward, if I find a copy of "The Dreaming" on CD, I'll gladly buy it
and send it to you... in little pieces.

--

						Russell Spence
						ihnp4!ihuxf!russ

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (06/25/85)

[Reality is only a crutch for those who cannot handle good music.]

> From: russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence)

> Enough, Enough, ENOUGH!!!!!   I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT KATE
> BUSH!!!!!!!!

Use your "n" key!  That's what it was designed for!

> Why don't you start up net.music.kate.bush, or set up a mailing list
> for Kate Bush fans???

I don't want to get Rich Rosen mad at me.  Besides, I (sort of) agree
with him.  Why don't you start up net.music.no-kate-bush, if you are so
upset?

> It probably wouldn't mind except that I heard all of the raves about
> Kate Bush and went out and decided to buy "The Dreaming".  I usually
> don't like to buy an album without some idea of what the music is like
> or if I will like it, but... the album got such good reviews on the
> net that I decided to take a chance.

Good for you.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

> So, I put down my hard earned money and bought the album and took it
> home and played it.  And then I played it a few more times, because I
> wanted to give it a fair chance and see if it improved with more
> playing.  Well, I don't like it.  In fact I think that Kate Bush
> sucks.  I'll never buy another Kate Bush album and I'm very sorry that
> I bought "The Dreaming" (although I like the thought that when I
> destroy it there will be one less copy of that album in the world).

Awww!  Poor poor Russel.  The big bad music hurt his ears.  And poor
poor Russel must cry to the net about his 7 bucks lost to the big bad
music.

Russel, I don't know what you were expecting, but the reviews I have
posted of "The Dreaming" have given more than adequate warning that this
is not music for those who want the boring saftey of formula trash.  All
of the following quotes that I have posted indicate quite clearly that
you have to be a somewhat adventuresome listener to appreciate this type
of music:

	Hi!  Do you like artistic rock such as Pink Floyd, Peter
	Gabriel, King Crimson, or Laurie Anderson?  If you do please
	read on.  If on the other hand you think that Michael Jackson,
	Asia, and Culture Club represent the ultimate in musical
	experience, please swallow two cyanide tablets (not enclosed) or
	just skip to the next message.  Both actions will violate the
	true meaning of life....

	"The Dreaming" can't even be spotted in the hills.  It pulses
	with new shapes and guises, voices crawl over your ears and gnaw
	the brain like beautiful maggots.  ...  I don't care what they
	say, Kate Bush is a technicolor lighthouse in all the murky
	cover and boring crap.  She deserves more from many quarters.
	Maybe you." --Zig Zag 1982

	"I must have been waiting all my life for Kate Bush.  She took me
	by surprise though, appearing unobtrusively in a pile of records
	-- played once and heard superficially as "weird noise"....
	I played the record ["The Dreaming"] again, it was perhaps, the
	most important musical decision I made all year....
	A question reared up in me and demanded an answer -- Who is Kate
	Bush and where has she been all my life?"  -- Rockbill

	"This is what "The Dreaming" is -- a harrowing psychological foray
	into another world.... Kate Bush leaves no doubt that she is the
	master of this dream world that, frighteningly, has its roots
	firmly seated in reality.  This is not the woman-child of "The
	Kick Inside" (if she ever was that).  This is the mature and
	experienced artist...Her voice becomes a full orchestra,
	alternating between hellish choirs, ascending angels, and
	compelling exhortations...."  -- Keyboard

	"There's a human element in that album, like a tormented human
	that has to sort out all these problems and pain."  -- Kate Bush

So what's the matter Russel?  You don't like voices crawling over your
ears and gnawing your brain like beautiful maggots?  You don't like
music that sounds at first like "weird noise" -- that takes a little
effort by the listener to decode because of complex layering and
counterpoint?  You don't like harrowing psychological forays into
another world that frighteningly has its roots seated firmly in reality?
You don't like an album that deals with problems and pain?

Then why did you buy the album???  What were you expecting?  "Asia Does
Barry Mainilow's Greatest Hits Vol. 2"?  "Madonna Wiggles Her Belly
Button For You Some More"?  "Lionel Ritchie Bores You To Death"?  "Phil
Collins Rips Off Prince"?

That "The Dreaming" is an album that cannot be pigeon-holed into any
safe comfortable category of music was clearly stated!  Or is it that
you do indeed like having voices crawling over your ears and gnawing
your brain like beautiful maggots, but that you don't think the maggots
on "The Dreaming" are beautiful enough?  Or that Kate Bush just hasn't
done a good enough job at this?  (HAH!)

What do you want out of music?  I suppose you want your music to be a
tranquilizer that will make you forget all about what life is about.
Maybe you want to disappear into Madonna's navel?  Pretty pathetic if
you ask me!

Russel, you have a bad attitude.  Lot's of time people tell me that an
album Foo is the greatest thing since the vegomatic.  I often run out
and buy the album, and often my opinions are not the same as the
recommender.  But do I get mad at the recommender or the artist, if I
don't like the album?  No!  Quite to the contrary!  Even if I don't like
the album, but if I think the album has a lot of artistic merit, I thank
the recommender profusely for exposing me to something new!  XTC is an
example of this for me.  To some of my friends XTC is god!  I don't
enjoy their music incredibly (except "Respectable Street"), but am I
sorry I bought their albums?  No!  Because I respect them artistically.
They are doing something original and creative, and I am very glad to
have been exposed to it, even if I don't like to throw it on my
turntable every day.  If anything, it is MY problem and fault that I do
not fully appreciate them.

And Russel, in the future, why don't you include some thoughtful
criticism, rather than just a sample of oral diarrhea.  This is supposed
to be a forum for intelligent human beings.

But I'll tell you what Russel... I'll include right here some guidelines
about who should not bother wasting their hard-earned money on "The
Dreaming", so that no one else like you will get screwed.

Do NOT buy "The Dreaming" if creativity offends you.  Do NOT buy "The
Dreaming" if you like all your music to be easily dividable into nice
safe classifications.  Do NOT buy "The Dreaming" for background music.
Do NOT buy "The Dreaming" if you are unwilling to put some effort into
listening to it.  Do NOT buy "The Dreaming" if you want music to calm
you rather than stimulate you.  Do NOT buy "The Dreaming" if you do not
like intense experiences.  Do NOT buy "The Dreaming" if you think that
top-40 is what music is all about.  Do NOT buy "The Dreaming" if you do
not enjoy thinking.  Do NOT buy "The Dreaming" if you do not like to be
challenged!

> And in fact, Doug Alan, I'll take you up on your reward, if I find a
> copy of "The Dreaming" on CD, I'll gladly buy it and send it to you...
> in little pieces.

I'm sorry Russel, but my offer of a reward is not good for a CD that has
been broken into little pieces.

			"A foreign body and a foreign mind
			 Never welcome in the land of the blind"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

sherouse@unc.UUCP (George W. Sherouse) (06/25/85)

You can't say I didn't warn you.  In general, fanatical devotion is
indicative of clouded judgement.

- George

"You're lookin' for a family man but I'm not relatin'"

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (06/25/85)

> It probably wouldn't mind except that I heard all of the raves about Kate
> Bush and went out and decided to buy "The Dreaming".  I usually don't like
> to buy an album without some idea of what the music is like or if I will like
> it, but... the album got such good reviews on the net that I decided to take a
> chance.  So, I put down my hard earned money and bought the album and took it
> home and played it.  And then I played it a few more times, because I wanted
> to give it a fair chance and see if it improved with more playing.  Well, I
> don't like it.  In fact I think that Kate Bush sucks.  I'll never buy another
> Kate Bush album and I'm very sorry that I bought "The Dreaming" (although
> I like the thought that when I destroy it there will be one less copy of
> that album in the world).  And in fact, Doug Alan, I'll take you up on
> your reward, if I find a copy of "The Dreaming" on CD, I'll gladly buy it
> and send it to you... in little pieces.

I have a couple of things to say to that:

1. If you don't take a chance once in a while on music that you've never heard,
then you probably won't have have very many interesting records in your
collection.  Records are very cheap in terms of entertainment value for your
money so, as far as I'm concerned, if you buy three albums and one of them
turns out to be great but you hate the other two, then overall you've gotten
your money's worth.  If you take a chance on an album like "The Dreaming",
if you like it you'll gain a lot of pleasure, but if you hate it, all you've
lost is less than $10, hardly enough to be "very sorry" about.  It sounds like
it's worth the risk to me.

2. I suppose us Kate Bush fans should have mentioned that her music seems
to be the kind of stuff that you either love or hate, though I know a lot
more people that love it than hate it.  She has a very strange voice that
could irritate some people, and a lot of her music, especially the most
recent stuff, is weird, unusual, and different from what you're used to,
and therefore very difficult to accept.  That makes it easy to hate it,
but if you can accept it, you may love it, and its weirdness and uniqueness
will likely be one of the main reasons why you'll love it.

3. Although people seem to either love her music or hate it, it is possible
to move from the "hate" category to the "love" category.  When I first heard
her music, I didn't like it at all, but now, a few years later, I love it,
though I must admit I'm still not too crazy about at least half of the work
on her first two albums.  The point is, no matter how much you hate it, don't
throw the album away.  If you've already played it a few times and still
don't like it, file it away for a year or two and then try it again.  That's
basically what I did.  (or you can send it to me at 32 Raven Rd., Toronto,
Ontario, Canada M6L 2A6.)
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (06/26/85)

In article <2619@ihuxf.UUCP> russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence) writes:
>Enough, Enough, ENOUGH!!!!!   I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT KATE
>BUSH!!!!!!!!
>It probably wouldn't mind except that I heard all of the raves about Kate
>Bush and went out and decided to buy "The Dreaming".  .......
>      ...So, I put down my hard earned money and bought the album and took it
>home and played it.  And then I played it a few more times, because I wanted
>to give it a fair chance and see if it improved with more playing.  Well, I
>don't like it.  In fact I think that Kate Bush sucks.  I'll never buy another
>Kate Bush album and I'm very sorry that I bought "The Dreaming" ....
>--

WAIT! STOP! LISTEN PLEASE!
Do you think that Kate Bush "sucks" because of the way she uses her voice?
If so then you may never be a lover of her music since there is already a
barrier preventing you from getting deeper into the music.
*BUT*, if you hated "The Dreaming" because it is too weird, then you might
be surprised by her earlier works.  I consider myself to be a Kate Bush "fan",
but "The Dreaming" is *NOT* my favorite among her albums: I prefer the three
earlier ones which are simpler and which contain a few "commercial"
songs.  Some of them are accompanied by only a piano and strings and are
more "traditional" (altho they're still "katebush-ly" different!)
then the ones you hear in "The Dreaming".
However, if you think songs like Wham's "Wake me up before you go-go"
are superb, well, then I *do* agree that you have wasted money on this
album!!! But if you are open to all sorts of music, take another chance
and sample her other music.  There is a mini LP containing a few of her
more "commercial" creations. Give it a listen;
you may have a change of mind!

"Now I know that I'm needed
For a symphony"			 from "Symphony in Blue"
--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (06/26/85)

> From: sherouse@unc.UUCP (George W. Sherouse)

> You can't say I didn't warn you.  In general, fanatical devotion is
> indicative of clouded judgement.

No, George.  Fanatical devotion can cause clouded judgement, but it's
not indicative of clouded judgement.  Perhaps my opinions on Kate Bush's
future albums or on her early albums might be clouded by my devotion to
"The Dreaming".  But my judgement on "The Dreaming" cannot be clouded by
my devotion to Kate Bush because I had never heard any music by Kate
Bush before I heard "The Dreaming".  It's not that since I was a Kate
Bush fanatic, I had to love "The Dreaming".  "The Dreaming" made me a
fanatic.  It's that good!

			"Over the quavers
			 Drunk in the bars"

tynor@gitpyr.UUCP (Steve Tynor) (06/30/85)

>3. Although people seem to either love her music or hate it, it is possible
>to move from the "hate" category to the "love" category.  When I first heard
>her music, I didn't like it at all, but now, a few years later, I love it,
>Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073

You hit the nail right on the head!  I was literally forced to
listen to Kate's Kick Inside album (this is long before The
Dreaming) by an enlightened friend.  It sounded like noise to me
(and this is an album that Kate and her fans refer to as overly
'commercial'!)

Well, to make a long story short, after a few months, I listened
again and heard some things that sounded 'interesting' (like the
backing vocals on 'James with the Cold Gun') instead of like noise.

And now I'm a full fledged Kate Bush Fanatic. (though there are
still songs (most of Lionheart for example) that I don't care for.

"With a kiss I pass the key..."

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Instutute of Technology

 ...{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
     ihnp4, masscomp, ut-ngp, rlgvax, sb1,
     uf-cgrl, unmvax, ut-sally}  !gatech!gitpyr!tynor

--
Steve Tynor
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!tynor